Intermittent CTD, BSOD's and ASUS MB's

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have a M2N68+ with a AMD AM3 215 CPU, and had all sorts of issues with CTD, and BSOD's, been pulling my hair out, finally got disgusted and pulled the RAM out and checked the QVL list and it wasn't on there, as a word of warning, if you are having problems with the stability of the system, check the QVL list and see if you have the same problem
BTW my Gigabyte board runs rock solid no matter what memory I use, this is the last ASUS MB I'll be getting for a long time

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I don't know if the board is good or bad, ran memtest86 211% OK, OCCT OK, Prime95 after 4 hours I get a rounding error
I am using Kingston(KVR800d2N6/2G) Ram, what would you set the timing/latency to

Do you have Adobe reader installed?

DESCRIPTION:
This document describes ValueRAM's 256M x 64-bit 2GB (2048MB) DDR2-800 CL6
SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory module. The components on this module include
sixteen 128M x 8-bit DDR2-800 SDRAM in FBGA packages. This 240-pin DIMM uses gold
contact fingers and requires +1.8V. The electrical and mechanical specifications are as
follows:
FEATURES:
Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=6 2.5ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 60ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC) 127.5ns
Row Active Time (tRAS) 45ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
Single Power Supply of +1.8V (+/- .1V)
Power 2.016 W (operating)
UL Rating 94 V - 0

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
yes I got that from consenus, my BIOS has the options of
CAS, tRCD, TRP, tRTP, tRAS, TRC, TWR,tRRD, tWRD, tRFC0,tRFC1, tRFC, tRFC3, and all of it has CL options(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc, setting all these points by hand is crazy), it seems like this is a good board BUT it will be the last ASUS for a long time

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I just Wiki'd mem timing and latency, OMG, I just can't hardly believe that ASUS screwed up this bad, back in the good ole days I had a P2B that was awesome, next month I'm going to look at Gigabyte boards
BTW I set the CAS latency to CL6, let you know tomorrow if that made any difference

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
take this as a good time to upgrade to an am3 mobo rather than just another am2+ machine its a good time to do so u can get a nice gigabyte 3's series board and slap some ddr3 in there and ull be cookin with dynamite

I've got a PC running a EVGA 750i motherboard with a e6750 dual core CPU. It runs flawlessly. Should I upgrade that just to upgrade it? There's a substantial cost to upgrading a motherboard and DDR3. If the current hardware is running fine and up to the owner's expectations, there's no need to upgrade.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
well its a big hike for you to do that aford10. the guy that started this post is using an amd am3 processor which is designed for ddr3. where as you are using an intel im pritty sure u would have to upgrade mobo ram and processor where as he would just need the mobo and ram.
If your happy with hour your comps running then i wouldnt bother. That is why i run amd for the backwards comp. number13 is running a newer processor in an older board which is nice cause you dont need to upgrade everything at once. I just spent 1k on a new setup and thats with a ssd and a 190$ pc case with shipping and this guy has quad core 8gb of ddr3 ram and a 950w psu so

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
According to my specs the board uses DDR2 memory, I did set the CAS manually to CL6 and there is a marked improvement, it has only CTD 2 times today in the last 18+ hours, no BSOD's, so there is a issue with the memory, and just setting the CAS manually helped

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I left the computer on all night and it's the first the first time it wasn't at the User Accounts screen when I woke up, all told it CTD 3 times in over 30 hours, no BSOD's, say what you will, the fact I set the CAS manually and it has made a difference is good---kinda, but it 's not stable anyway, in actuality, this sucks

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
the BSOD's are random and the reasons are for the most part diferent, but if I am seeing nvvdm and it only means that when it crashed it was using that file, but it will not tell me if the problem was the memory timing, as a after thought, the QVL list is approved memory, there is no list for NOT approved memory, and yes even if the memory is not listed does not mean that it will not work, at the same time if it is listed, it will work, and in this PARTICULAR instance it matters, as the M/B is not as "forgiving"as other mfg's
BTW, the CTD's and BSOD's are far fewer, only 3 or 4 a day, before I could reboot and it might CTD in 2 min or 2 hours