Preventing access to my homegroup/workgroup

dee-u

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I have a wired router that is connected to the internet. I also have a wireless router, what I did was to connect this wireless router to the wired router and I was able to get an internet access using the wireless router. What I am concerned about is that when I am connected to the wireless router I am able to see all the computers connected to my wired router in the same homegroup. Is there a way that I will allow only internet access to the wireless router but prevent seeing the computers on the wired router?

Or can I change my set-up so that my homegroup computers will be unseen by those connected to the wireless router?

TIA

Solution
The problem here is that we really don’t know the true nature of the relationship between the wireless and wired clients. For all we know, the wireless clients are merely "guests" who are being given access to the OP's internet as a courtesy, and he merely wants to prevent them from having unfettered access to the rest of his network. To the extent those wireless users don't know the homegroup's username/password, it's already protected (unless you're running open!). Even so, it’s generally not a good idea to have ppl on your local network who have no business being there, no matter how secure it may be, or appear.

If you want complete protection of your wired network from wireless users, then connect the wireless router to the...
I beleive the homegroup is only accessable from the LAN, not the internet. If you don't want computers on the wireless to see the wired computers, just create 2 homegroups and only putt the wired computers in one homegroup and the wireless computers in the other homegroup.

The problem here is that we really don’t know the true nature of the relationship between the wireless and wired clients. For all we know, the wireless clients are merely "guests" who are being given access to the OP's internet as a courtesy, and he merely wants to prevent them from having unfettered access to the rest of his network. To the extent those wireless users don't know the homegroup's username/password, it's already protected (unless you're running open!). Even so, it’s generally not a good idea to have ppl on your local network who have no business being there, no matter how secure it may be, or appear.

If you want complete protection of your wired network from wireless users, then connect the wireless router to the modem (making it the primary). Then connect the wired router to the primary, WAN to LAN respectively. Now all wireless users are prevented access to the wired network by its firewall, and that's for ALL protocols, including HomeGroups.

[modem]<-- wire -->(wan)[wireless router](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[wired router]

Just make sure each router uses DIFFERENT networks (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). It would also be a good idea to assign the WAN of the wired router a static IP from the wireless router, and place that IP in the DMZ of the wireless router. That will force all unsolicited inbound traffic over to the wired network, facilitating remote access (so you only have to port forward on the wired router).

But all this assumes I’m correct about the OP’s intentions. If there’s some other objective here, we need to know more about it.

Solution