Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Hey, I know I might get banished for using a piece of radioshack equipment on my PC, but this is the <b>third</b> fan I have went through. Its a 12vDC fan, and I have gone through 3 of these. The only responce I get from radioshack is that they have never heard of this problem:

The fan feels like it has power, I.E. it has resistance in the blades, but it does not spin.

Hell, the only reason I have the third one is that I keep taking them back and getting a free replacement. But having to do this every few months is getting old. For right now Im going to use a few old PSU fans to cool my system, till I get the cash to get a nice case fan, probably something quieter too.

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue:

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Correction, wrong size fan. But I was able to take a fan I had out of an old 286, and one out of a fried PS, and now with a little bit of rigging up, they cool almost as well (2C more) and are a heck of a lot quieter. It dont look perty.. but it works, and thats all I need.

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue:

SpoonMan

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2002
i had the same problem with their 120mm fans (120? well, whatever ones fall under the category of HUGE). i went through 3--the original one and two replacements. when the second replacement died, i said screw it and gave up. i got much the same story that you did -- "ohhh, no, we've never heard of problems with these before..."

right, whatever.

their fans suck. it's a shame too, because i dremmeled out a nice ol' hole for it, fashioned my own grill out of door screen and rubber tubing, slit down the center, to hold it in place. it looks rather cool--i prefer originiality (plus inexpensiveness...heh).

it took about 5c off of my cpu temperature (5? it's been so long--i forget. but it made a big difference with the crappy hsf that i had at the time)...turned the inside of my case into a regular ol' wind tunnel. i even wired it to a toggle switch so i could turn it off while watching a dvd or whatnot. but since they kept dying on me, i figured screw it. no more radio shack fans for me. now i just have a hole in my side panel =)

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Ever thought about another brand of fan to place in the hole?

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

SpoonMan

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2002
i thought about getting another one, but i was having trouble finding something big enough to fit the hole, including the 4 holes i bored out for the bolts

this looks sort of like the one that i used to have, only it was dc, not 120ac. funny how on their website i cannot find the model that i bought from them. i'll have to investigate at my local radio shack for humor purposes...

<A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_005_007_014_000&product_id=273-241" target="_new">http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_005_007_014_000&product_id=273-241</A>

i don't have a ruler on hand, but i just "ghetto measured" the size of the hole with a floppy disk. 3.5" + about an inch left over (eyed up), so it's a 4.5 inch fan. heh, 114.3mm according to <A HREF="http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/EASYlength.html" target="_new">http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/EASYlength.html</A>

so it looks like it was indeed a 120mm fan

i'm not as eager to buy another fan now, because i bought a new hsf -- vantec 6027d -- ah heck's inexpensive as hell--ran me $17US and works really well. good cooling without the whiny noise. you know it's running, but it's easily tolerable.

i sleep at night (dorm) with the thing about 3 feet from my head. then again, maybe i'm abnormal and have just become dependent on the hum of my computer to lull me to sleep =)

it permitted me to do some moderate overclocking on my tbird 1200...took it to 1333 without any problems, but i won't go further than that

<b>edit:</b>
do they use the diagonal measurement to show fan size? because the measurement i took was width<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SpoonMan on 04/25/02 03:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
120mm are all pretty standard. Next time use a AOL CD for a template.
They are perfect and everybody has a couple of dozen.

:smile:

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Only thing I buy at RS is the little parts. Anything that's already fabricated...I have found to be junk.

But that's just my experience

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL