Sign in with
Your question

formatting laptop same?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
January 4, 2003 12:58:10 AM

When reformatting, reloading win os and drivers on a laptop, do I use the same procedure I would when reformating and reinstalling os and drivers on a pc. And if laptop comes with recovery disk...is this accomplished with a boot disk or does recovery disk usually boot by itself? Also, are the bios settings similiar?...as well as method of accessing the bios?

More about : formatting laptop

January 5, 2003 5:33:22 AM

Depending on what OS you're trying to load, you might or might not need a boot-disk (which is different from a "recovery disk" - that's something that returns your system configuration to the way it was when the disk was created). Otherwise, reformating is the same -> go into a DOS prompt and type-in "format c:" (if c: is your drive letter) and follow the instructions. Then you might have to "fdisk" (to partition active drives) and then simply pp in the bootdisk (for all OS ecept WinXP), or for WinXP simply pop in the CD and then type in the CD drive's letter, open it up and install.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 5, 2003 7:59:18 AM

So win me and win 98 is same (use boot disk to access dos prompt and format: c and than load win setup from cd drive) and xp different (how so)? Please, what does pp stand for in your post?
Related resources
January 5, 2003 3:53:40 PM

Sorry, "pp" was a typo for "put"..heh. Well, Win98 and WinME are the same in that you've got to use the bootdisk after formating to boot-up and reinstall your OS, but WinXP is made to use w/out a bootdisk.. you're supposed to be able to load the setup withought anything else than the CD (as long as all your hardware is WinXP campatible - a.k.a. new). With WinXP, your hardware loads itself up instead of a bootdisk, so that you can simply pop in the CD and begin setup right away.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 6, 2003 7:10:46 AM

Thanks! I am printing a copy now for my reference...I had someone ask me to reformatt his laptop and I have never really spent any significant time on a laptop (though I am very comfortable with desk tops). I didn't want to do his system harm...therefore, you can understand how much your help means and how grateful I am.
!