So What Will You Do When Windows 7 RC Expires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_manic

Administrator
Given my experiences with Windows 7 so far, I'll probably get a retail copy once the RC expires on June 10, 2010. And if Microsoft takes its time doing that (they'd better not!), I'll honestly get some software to disable the every-two-hours auto-shutdown.

Microsoft actually has a good game going here: they first let people use their "next" OS, so those who enjoy it (like me) are compelled to pony up to maintain the experience.

Anyways, what will you do once the Windows 7 RC expires?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
End of July w7 should go RTM. I'd expect we'll see retail pricing around the same time. Once I see the rapage, I'll make up my mind.

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I will buy it as soon as it is released.

r_manic is right, MS have played this one brilliantly, and there are many who have been using the RC successfully and will purchase without a second thought.

I am hoping they provide a direct upgrade path from RC to release (without re-install), and perhaps a simple way to pay for the upgrade directly online with a downloaded update. That would only make it easier for all of us.

The RC is a beautiful, stable and modern OS, and it's only really those who are still ignorant or absolutely stuck in their ways (or are actually 7) that continue to cry "OMG XP is teh best, W7 suxxx". Get with change dudes, it feels good.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I will download it from my Technet subscription and install it when it is released. If anyone has more than a couple of PCs the Technet subscription will pay for itself easily time and time again. If you look around you can probably find a discount coupon for the initial subscription as well.

Both Vista and XP were also available under the same program... from beta to release candidate to retail. XP was a little harder to obtain than Vista or Win 7, but it still was available I believe. MS is going with what works.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

It appears your wish has been granted, here's an extract from an email I received from Microsoft:
"There’s another expiration date you need to keep in mind: Windows 7 RC will expire on June 1, 2010, and you’ll need to either upgrade to the final release of Windows 7 or a prior version of Windows before then. (We‘ll send you another reminder as this date approaches.)"
Note the reference to upgrade!

madmax808

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

That made my day, right there. I've been using Win7 as my main OS since the RC dropped publicly in May on several computers. It'll be nice to upgrade instead of having to do a clean install. I'm a fan of fresh installations, though. There's something refreshing about them.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

I just realised something else relating to that email, it only says a prior version of Windows, not from Vista, the implication here is that it could be upgraded from XP.
It's generally thought that there would be no upgrade from XP, this could make a lot of XP users happy if it's possible.
I would expect Microsoft to be carefull about their wording, so it's looking good.

Junibob

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
When Microsoft starts shutting down Windows 7 every two hours for its last 2 month of activation, I believe I'll delete it from my system.

So far, I really enjoy all the bells and whistles once I figured out how to install some hardware. The wireless adapter caused the most problems for installation, but once I loaded the Vista drivers it took right off.

I also discovered that aVast! Pro edition slipped right in without any problems and give me the protection I require.

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Absolutely plan to purchase a copy. I am loving Win7.
It is the little things for me: Preview of minimized applications being one of them.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Buy it

I built my PC and haven't run anything but RC 7 on it. If I don't buy it - I have to buy another O/S anyway. Hopefully it won't cost too much

For those who have paid for a full Technet or MSDN subscription, the official bits are normally available to you for your own testing/usage. Has nothing to do with making the transition somehow seamless. Just means they're expected to be there should subscribers choose to partake.

Just to get this crystal clear are you saying that if you have a technet subscription then MS will release the new OS to you for free?
I knew it gave preferance to Betas etc before everyone else but seriously Free OS's ? as many as you want ? well from what Bullheaded67
said about it paying for itself if you have more than a couple of PC's ?

Mactronix

Short answer: Yes. And before everyone else gets it, too.

Long Answer:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/manage/ms788692.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb403698.aspx

Get Microsoft downloads and updates for Microsoft products and, with Technet Plus, get unlimited download access to full version software with no time limits.

Plus documentation, free online Training courses, and message boards checked by people who really do know what they're talking about. Currently available client side Win 7 RC, Vista SP2, Server 2008, XP SP3, XP SP2, and XP Remote Desktop Connection. The "Latest Picks" on the site are: Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate, WIndows 7 RC, and Exchange Server 2010 Beta. The "Fine Print" being that your licences are for your testing/usage only - you can't resell - and are contingent upon maintaining your subscription. Though I've never seen/heard of MSFT pulling the plug on an otherwise legal subscriber's home machines cos they skipped their annual...

For a single PC, you're clearly better off buying a retail or OEM copy. Same for a couple of home machines. But as pointed out, the more computers you have and the more you like to play with the different software, the more and more a full subscription is worth it. Personally, I only have a couple machines at home. So dollar wise my situation is borderline whether I'm saving anything or not - leaning towards "not". It's the access to online docs, free training courses, and the ability to play with the stuff that I'm paying for. Like - Deciding to find out of Randall Kennedy is "right" about server 2008 being a better client than Vista** - It only cost me the effort of doing it.

Scott

**The answer to that one is "Yes, if you only want a bare bones installation for corporate usage and don't mind the work of stripping features yourself. For Home users, you really really should stick with Vista because you'd have to add back the multimedia/gaming stuff anyhow. So you're doing a LOT more work to run yourself in circles in order to get to where you started. *Big* waste of time.

Lippy13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I'll probably move on to the retail version after it comes out. It's snappier than Vista and I get MUCH less hard drive activity. Vista tended to thrash my hard drive even with SuperFetch turned off, while it's quiet under Windows 7 even with it turned on. Not to mention I've gotten used to the new features of Windows 7 and I can't see myself going back to Vista.

That said, I still have Vista dual-booted in case all else fails, so I suppose sticking with Vista is plan B.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
ScottEQ thanks for your reply regarding Technet subscriptions, that was eloquently stated. At home I have 5 PCs, 4 Laptops and 2 servers. The technet subscription paid for itself the moment I downloaded Windows 2008 R2.

Status
Not open for further replies.