To Cool or Not to Cool ...THAT is the question.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
First: Do you do anything to cool your Hard Drives?
Do you mount them in the 3.5 inch bays or 5 inch bays with the metal mounts that come with the HD acting as heatsinks?
Fans for HD heat reduction?

I've seen these double fans on a mount to attach to the bottom of a Hard Drive. Do they add vibration and possiblely affect stability / lifetime of my HD?
Are they worthwhile.
I've also seen a mount that adds heatsinks to all sides of the HD and has a fan too. Overkill?
For HD units with fans do they blow into the case or exaust outbound?

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Extra cooling usually isn't required for IDE hard drives. I have mine in a mobile rack, with a fan at the back of the tray.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Do you need a fan? Give your hard disk a workout then pull off the side of yer case and touch it. If its more then slightly warm it wouldnt hurt to blow a fan on it =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Keeping a whirring clicking mechanical thing cool can't hurt. I have one of the cheetah 15k drives and noticed a 10 degree (F) difference between a light breeze blowing over it versus not. As I have case fan holes up the ying-yang, I was able to situate an 80mm fan blowing air over the top and another on the other side sucking it over the top. I ducted air from below from another 80mm fan and turned them all down with a rheostat to cut down on the noise.
What the hell, it's fun and it will more than likely increase the lifespan of the drive. I would however, avoid doing it if you have to make your case one of those monstrosities that I've seen on those "Lookee My Case Mods" sites ("Yes, I let a chimp with a Makita do my case mode and it's 2 degrees cooler!")

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Not to worry. A screwdriver to attach a fan .. I can handle. Cutting a hole in a $100.00 full tower case and my hands shake too much ... _Never_happen_.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...