Sign in with
Your question

Speeding up booting of Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
April 18, 2012 8:10:51 PM

Using a Dell laptop with Windows 7, how do I get rid of the welcome screen and the Dell logo, on booting up?

Jack Orbach
jorbach@rcn.com
April 18, 2012 8:19:33 PM

The Dell Welcome Screen and Dell Logo is there so you can access your BIOS, advance boot menu, etc. There is no reason I can think of why you wouldn't want these menus. It's also not possible.
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:24:03 PM

You might look at upgrading but this is difficult with laptops and even more difficult with Dell products, so your options are very limited. you might contact Dell support and see what they suggest.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 18, 2012 8:32:27 PM

Laptops are often painful to boot up due to the 5400 RPM HDD's they normally come with. If you put a SSD in your laptop it will fly in comparison. The difference is night and day.
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:42:06 PM

Wamphryi said:
Laptops are often painful to boot up due to the 5400 RPM HDD's they normally come with. If you put a SSD in your laptop it will fly in comparison. The difference is night and day.

^^^ This.

I upgraded to a SSD in my desktop, and it decreased my boot time from ~30 seconds to ~10-13 seconds.

I got a further few seconds by turning off the Windows boot up logo. For some reason, the boot will not continue until the little animation completes, so turning it off buys a second or two if you already have a fast boot.

To turn it off, go to start, type "msconfig" into the search bar, hit enter. On the boot tab, check off the 'No GUI boot' and click OK.
m
l
!