Actiontec guest network not working

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • SSID
  • Actiontec
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 26, 2012 5:36:48 PM

My Actiontec PK5000 lists multiple SSID's as a feature but I can't get it to work. I can see the guest network and connect to it but I am not being assigned a valid ip address that lets me use the company internet access. I use non-standard ip addressing on the company network and any wireless devices connecting to the main network get valid addresses allowing internet and access to the company servers, printer, etc. So, I have a guest network and in the actiontec SSID section have set it up to assign 10.0.1.2 through 10.0.1.10. It's my understanding that the range realy doesn't matter on secondary SSID's. Is that true? After connecting a laptop wirelessly to the guest network it goes into Acquire Address mode and after an annoyingly long time comes back with something like 169.254.45.123 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Ipconfig also mentions something about auto-configuration. I need the assignment to be on the right subnet for internet but not company computer network and be no-brainer for guests. Any suggestions?

More about : actiontec guest network working

June 26, 2012 5:54:04 PM

The 169.254.x.x IP address means the client's DHCP request is going unanswered, so the client is self-assigning an IP in the 169.254.x.x network.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar w/ that router, so I can’t provide specific guidance. But I do know unless it has a second DHCP server for the guest network, it's not going to work, at least not using DHCP. Is there perhaps an option somewhere to enable that second DHCP server?

Btw, is this your own modem+router, or was it supplied by your ISP? I'm asking because it's not uncommon for ISPs to customize the device, to have certain features disabled, etc. You just never know in what ways they may have crippled it without your knowledge.
m
l
July 3, 2012 1:52:37 PM

Yes, this modem/router was supplied by the ISP and I suppose its possible they could have features locked but I have done a complete cold start on it and had to put in all settings again so it should be clean. The menu provided by the ISP(CenturyLink) is a generic one. If there is a way to get to ActionTec's menu I can't find it. I don't see any mention of second DHCP server in the menu or documentation. I think if is going to work it is a matter of hitting the right addressing range and subnet. I don't get many chances to play with it. The wireless users get perturbed when I try different settings and it knocks them off during the Save function. If I come up with something, I will post back.
m
l