Philips CDM-9 Gear Assembly Needed

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 26, 2004 10:44:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hi,

The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
assembly.

Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
obtained?

Thanks,

A_C
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:02:27 PM

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
> told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
> assembly.
>
> Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
> obtained?

CDM-9 parts are said to be rare, so you'll have to put forth extra effort.

Not exactly in the states, but perhaps they'll ship to you or tell you who
distributes this stuff in the States.

http://www.vcdpickup.com/PHILIPS.htm

http://www.donberg.ie/warehs/groupbh.htm

http://www.agencies.com.sg/cdpickup%5CCDM%209.44%20%20W...

http://www.smartplan.com.cn/yuan/vcdpickup.htm

"Philips spare parts (for audio, DVD etc) are distributed by Dutchwest
Parts. Tel +44 1434 323232. They were great - I also got them to quote for a
full transport (in case the re-assembly goes horribly wrong) and it was
about 54 GBP (68 incl postage etc)."

http://www.avondaleaudio.com/
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:35:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

In article <20df5aaa.0407260544.17b34b17@posting.google.com>,
Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
>told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
>assembly.
>
>Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
>obtained?

Philips North America basically won't pay any attention to customer service
at all any more.

Your best bet might be to find out which Magnavox models use that transport
and buy a couple cheap ones on Ebay to use as parts junkers.

Your other alternative might be to take the piece of the broken gear and
have a custom one made. http://www.odometergears.com is actually pretty
good about making weird replacement gears from delrin-like material.
--scott
July 27, 2004 6:54:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
> told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
> assembly.
>
> Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
> obtained?
>
> Thanks,
>
> A_C

Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the kind of
customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars on
a CD transport.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but does it not drive you out of
your mind to spend huge bucks on a piece of audio equipment and then get no
real support from the comany when it fails?

Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!

PaulW

..
July 27, 2004 9:53:21 AM

"PaulW" <pwhitbread@rogers.com> wrote:

> Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the kind of
> customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars on
> a CD transport.
>
> I know this doesn't answer your question, but does it not drive you out of
> your mind to spend huge bucks on a piece of audio equipment and then get no
> real support from the comany when it fails?
>
> Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!
>
> PaulW

Well, that approach is not likely to produce a good result.

They did offer to do the repair, but turnaround time is 4 to 5 *weeks*
and I'd have to send the unit to California. In practical effect, with
shipping time in all, I'd be without the unit for probably 2 months.
Repairs have always been a very weak point for Theta and yes, it is
infuriating.

This type of repair doesn't require much expertise, so I'm electing to
either do it myself, or bring it to a trusted local repair man.

A_C
July 27, 2004 10:08:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote: in message

> Philips North America basically won't pay any attention to customer service
> at all any more.

It's interesting that you say that, because I've noticed this at
several Philips divisions. They've adopted a 'fire & forget' attitude
towards consumer products.

They haven't updated the drivers to my Philips Acoustic Edge sound
card in (3) years, even in the face of known defects... The support
for my Nike MP3 player (a private labeling arrangement) is outsourced
to India and staffed by people who have no training or knowledge of
the product (I wish I had recorded my support phone call; it was
absolutely laughable)... Now this.

No matter how slick the marketing, or how attractive a product looks
from now on, I'm never buying another Philips consumer product ever
again!

A_C
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:40:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

in article 20df5aaa.0407260544.17b34b17@posting.google.com, Agent_C at
Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com wrote on 7/26/04 8:44 AM:

> Hi,
>
> The CD drawer is not working properly on my Theta CD transport. I'm
> told by Theta that I need to obtain a replacement Philips CDM-9 gear
> assembly.
>
> Does anyone know of a source in the States where this could be
> obtained?
>
> Thanks,
>
> A_C

I had to fix one for a friend last year. At that time, Theta had the gears
in stock, and I got it from them. These gears are made for Theta by a third
party, not Philips. The gear worked fine, but was noisy. It was also ungodly
expensive-over $100.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:55:30 PM

In article <2ujNc.1234711$Ar.968340@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com> pwhitbread@rogers.com writes:

> Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the kind of
> customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars on
> a CD transport.

Does the company still exist? What do they make today?

> Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!

The ability to buy cool stuff at low prices, then throw them away when
they fail or they're no longer cool. Used to be that we bought stuff
to last, but not much any more.

July 27, 2004 2:07:55 PM

Mike Rivers said:

> > Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!
>
> The ability to buy cool stuff at low prices, then throw them away when
> they fail or they're no longer cool. Used to be that we bought stuff
> to last, but not much any more.

Check your metronome, Mikey. You're stuttering a bit.
July 27, 2004 4:02:52 PM

John Stone <jmsent2@comcast.net> wrote:

> I had to fix one for a friend last year. At that time, Theta had the gears
> in stock, and I got it from them. These gears are made for Theta by a third
> party, not Philips. The gear worked fine, but was noisy. It was also ungodly
> expensive-over $100.

Yeah, that's probably the way I'll go; $107 from Theta.

A_C
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:39:30 PM

> "PaulW" <pwhitbread@rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> > Tell the lazy bonehead at Theta to get off his fat ass and offer the
kind of
> > customer support that you would expect for spending thousands of dollars
on
> > a CD transport.
> >
> > I know this doesn't answer your question, but does it not drive you out
of
> > your mind to spend huge bucks on a piece of audio equipment and then get
no
> > real support from the comany when it fails?
> >
> > Just what the hell are we paying for these days? ....Sheeesh!
> >
> > PaulW
>
> Well, that approach is not likely to produce a good result.
>
> They did offer to do the repair, but turnaround time is 4 to 5 *weeks*
> and I'd have to send the unit to California. In practical effect, with
> shipping time in all, I'd be without the unit for probably 2 months.
> Repairs have always been a very weak point for Theta and yes, it is
> infuriating.
>
> This type of repair doesn't require much expertise, so I'm electing to
> either do it myself, or bring it to a trusted local repair man.
>

> A_C

Fair enough..... I was just in the mood for a rant, really. Good luck with
the repair.

PaulW
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:42:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

You might want to try ordering tray drive gears for a Rotel RCD-970BX from Rotel(don't have
their info handy, but they are friendly & helpful with parts ordering), which I am quite sure
used the CDM-9 mechanism, as did the RCD-990. They won't be more than $20 all two or three
gears in the mech, I'm sure, so no big deal if they don't fit the Theta.
Incidentally, my experience with Theta products is that they take a stock product, oem'd from
Sony, Philips, etc., make a few insubstantive changes(such as merely adding an ATT glass
optical out on a Sony LD/CD unit), then put it in their own outer chassis with fancy faceplate.
Usually, in doing so, they make the product almost completely impossible to work on. They make
a decent sounding DAC unit occassionally, but I would steer clear of them otherwise.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company

!