Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Hey guys -

I have an old Dell B866R (Pentium III 866) with an OEM power supply. I'm ripping out the cpu and motherboard and installing a Soyo Dragon Ultra mobo and Athlon 2000+. In anticipation of the delivery of these components, I went out and bought a Antec 400W psu (403X).

I put it into the existing configuration, and it didn't do anything but emit this unnerving squealing noise - no startup, no nothing.

Is this a defective unit, or is it this ATX/12V issue (which I don't understand at all)?

germne

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
To test AXT power supply, remove power cord and disconnect all cables from your old system. Short pin 14 to pin 15 in connector. Plug power cord in and turn power supply switch on (if it has a power switch). Power supply fan should spin and if you have a voltmeter you can check voltages. I think if the fan spins you're ok. Do not connect supply to old system as the mobo is probaly not ATX compatable.

regards

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Okay - as an addendum to the previous question:

The model I purchased was the Antec 403X (400W) - the Truepower 330 says its "backward compatible with Intel systems."

I take this to mean that the Antec 403X is not backward compatible; i.e., is not designed to work with my 866MHz Pentium III - my question is why, and what is the difference?

I know there is an Antec rep somewhere on these boards - let me know.

Regards,

AntecRep

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
PP403X will work with your new system. However if you go P4, you'll likely run into issues (it's not ATX12V which P4's need).

All of our power supplys are backwards compatible, so if you start at the top:

ATX12V---ATX2.03---ATX2.01---ATX1.01

To my knowledge I don't know of a system or motherboard that requires ATX2.03 (usually they just jump to ATX12V or stay at ATX2.01).

So PP403X will work with a PIII or Atlon system.

AntecRep

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Well, all I can say is that this particular 403X didn't work with my legacy PIII system - I don't know if I connected it wrong or what - I didn't have this problem reconnecting the old system. All it did after I tried it was emit an unnerving high-pitched squealing noise, but it wouldn't start up.

So I returned it and got a Truepower 430, which didn't appear to work either. At this point, I can only assume I didn't connect it right, or it simply was not meant to work in this system - I'm receiving my Dragon Ultra and XP 2000+ today, so we'll see how that works out.

Regards,

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
perhaps dell is using a different standard than atx with that main board. I hope you did not dammage your shiny new PSU with that OEM pos.

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Nah - I think the PSU is fine, but we'll see today when I get my board and CPU delivered - I'm assuming that it will fit into my Dell minitower, which should be ATX, but perhaps I'm presumptuous. We'll see.

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
So this was interesting - I get my new CPU (XP 2000+) and mobo (Soyo Dragon Ultra) and after I figured out that I needed a new case (I didn't want to dissect the Dell's case switch circuitry, so I got a Lian-Li, very nice), I hooked the whole thing up to my shiny new Truepower 430.

So I push the on button, and after an immediate minor explosion and smoke from the psu, I of course turn it off.

Any idea as to what this is? The mobo and cpu look fine, seems isolated to the psu.