Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

pro tools le / digi001 - is 32 tracks audio enough?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 1:54:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
getting done with it?

Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
it in a update?
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:32:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
urban music. >>

I don't know how many tracks hip hop producers utilize, but I'm currently in
the middle of a string quartet project that has topped 100 tracks on several
tunes, with even the most minimal tunes exceeding 32 tracks.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
>tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
>about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
>for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
>urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
>getting done with it?
>
--
Most anything I want to record. While the 32 track count has never been a
problem, sometimes the 16 (8 analog [2 mic pres, 6 line], 8 ADAT digital) live
tracks has been challenging. I've used the Presonus Digimax and HD24 for
lightpipe inputs. If you're gonna use 001, you'll need mic preamps also.

--
>Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
>it in a update?
>
Dunno


--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:43:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Fraser wrote:

><< LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
>for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
>urban music. >>
>
>I don't know how many tracks hip hop producers utilize, but I'm currently in
>the middle of a string quartet project that has topped 100 tracks on several
>tunes,


Okay enquiring minds want to know.......what else is on there? In a SQ how many
parts can you possibly double, triple, quadruple - still 100 tracks?





Me at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

Get Cubase SX 2 or Logic with a decent soundcard

Protools is too awkward for building loops and the midi features aren't the
best. IMHO

Martin

"ghostdog69" <ghostdog69@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:2480a1fd.0407260854.37a1102a@posting.google.com...
> After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
> tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
> about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
> urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
> getting done with it?
>
> Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
> it in a update?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:14:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

In message <2480a1fd.0407260854.37a1102a@posting.google.com>, ghostdog69
<ghostdog69@lycos.com> writes
>Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
>it in a update?

If standard USB is fast enough, why would you want to use USB2 ??

--
__________________________________________________
Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
__________________________________________________
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:53:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Okay enquiring minds want to know.......what else is on there? In a SQ how
many
parts can you possibly double, triple, quadruple - still 100 tracks? >>

This is not a traditional string quartet anymore. They're rather well known for
extending the boundaries & this CD is pretty darn extended. For starters, tabla
& assorted percussion (about 3 to 8 tracks there,) pipa (mic & contact pickup
tracks, times 2 to 4 parts,) keyboards (1 to 4 tracks,) vocal.
Strings are being recorded with a combination of close mics, contact pickups, &
room mics, & often septupled, so 2 violins times 3 mics, times 7 passes. Then
there are strings emulating other instruments, sections of overdubbed trumpet
violin (the Stroh violin), & lots of additional toys. Anyhow it's building up
to an amazing number of tracks & my main focus now is on CPU management, making
sure the G4 stays afloat when the artists say "Great, now let's double that 6
times."

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

ghostdog69@lycos.com (ghostdog69) wrote in message news:<2480a1fd.0407260854.37a1102a@posting.google.com>...
> After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
> tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
> about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
> urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
> getting done with it?
>
> Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
> it in a update?

i record Hip-Hop all the time and many of the producers i work with
end up usually not taking more than 8 tracks for the music and usually
that leaves plenty of room for the vocals. i have done sessions with
Hip-Hop/R&B guys who have used 48+ tracks pretty consistently, but
they're the exception to my experience, YMMV.

all that being said, 32 tracks are nothing to scoff at in my opinion.
there are plenty of ways to do accomplish what you need with 32 tracks
if necessity requires it. especially since you can automate just about
anything within a DAW like PT.

good luck
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:20:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott wrote:

><< Okay enquiring minds want to know.......what else is on there? In a SQ how
>many
>parts can you possibly double, triple, quadruple - still 100 tracks? >>
>
>This is not a traditional string quartet anymore. They're rather well known
>for
>extending the boundaries & this CD is pretty darn extended. For starters,
>tabla
>& assorted percussion (about 3 to 8 tracks there,) pipa (mic & contact pickup
>tracks, times 2 to 4 parts,) keyboards (1 to 4 tracks,) vocal.
>Strings are being recorded with a combination of close mics, contact pickups,
>&
>room mics, & often septupled, so 2 violins times 3 mics, times 7 passes. Then
>there are strings emulating other instruments, sections of overdubbed trumpet
>violin (the Stroh violin), & lots of additional toys. Anyhow it's building up
>to an amazing number of tracks & my main focus now is on CPU management,
>making
>sure the G4 stays afloat when the artists say "Great, now let's double that 6
>times."
>
>Scott Fraser

I guess I could see how that might add up but still, damn that's alot. How many
monitors(VGA) do you use?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:19:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< How many
monitors(VGA) do you use? >>

Two 18.5" NEC LCDs. One for the mixer, transport & track overview, the other
for the sequence, i.e. the waveform display. And it's nowhere near enough
screen real estate. Two 23" Cinema displays might be able to show everything.


Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:30:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Fraser wrote:


><< How many
>monitors(VGA) do you use? >>
>
>Two 18.5" NEC LCDs. One for the mixer, transport & track overview, the other
>for the sequence, i.e. the waveform display. And it's nowhere near enough
>screen real estate.

I can imagine.










Two 23" Cinema displays might be able to show everything.
>
>
>Scott Fraser
>
>
>
>
>
>
July 27, 2004 8:04:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

ScotFraser wrote:

> << LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
> urban music. >>
>
> I don't know how many tracks hip hop producers utilize, but I'm currently
> in the middle of a string quartet project that has topped 100 tracks on
> several tunes, with even the most minimal tunes exceeding 32 tracks.
>
> Scott Fraser

But you work with Krosos, right?

That's NOT your grandfather's string quartet.
July 27, 2004 8:11:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

ghostdog69 wrote:

> After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
> tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
> about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
> urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
> getting done with it?


Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was recorded with 4-track machines.

Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on 16 track.

You're doing hip-hop.

I've never heard of a hip-hop recording that in any way approached the
complexity of the two aforementioned benchmark recordings. (somebody
please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Track count should be the least of your worries.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:22:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I was thinking about the 32 track limit.

Yes, 32 tracks can be limiting.

On the other hand with playlists (virtual tracks) recording multiple vocal
takes or guitar solos doesn't take track real estate.


---------------------------------------
"I know enough to know I don't know enough"
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:26:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>ghostdog69 wrote:
>
>> After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
>> tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
>> about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
>> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
>> urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
>> getting done with it?
>
>
>Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was recorded with 4-track machines.
>
>Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on 16 track.
>
>You're doing hip-hop.
>
>I've never heard of a hip-hop recording that in any way approached the
>complexity of the two aforementioned benchmark recordings. (somebody
>please correct me if I'm wrong.)
>
>Track count should be the least of your worries.
>
>
Track counts: Less is better, just like EQ and compression.

Wayne's theory on recording individual tracks one @ a time to produce music
with balance, dynamics and overtones.

nothing + nothing = nothing (flame away)

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
July 28, 2004 12:26:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Wayne wrote:

> Wayne's theory on recording individual tracks one @ a time to produce
> music with balance, dynamics and overtones.
>
> nothing + nothing = nothing (flame away)


Didn't Billy Preston say something kind of like that? Only in reverse?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:30:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:11:50 -0400, in rec.music.makers.synth, agent86
<maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote:

>I've never heard of a hip-hop recording that in any way approached the
>complexity of the two aforementioned benchmark recordings. (somebody
>please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet

--

Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
And when justice is gone, there's always force.
And when force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:16:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>Wayne wrote:
>
>> Wayne's theory on recording individual tracks one @ a time to produce
>> music with balance, dynamics and overtones.
>>
>> nothing + nothing = nothing (flame away)
>
>
>Didn't Billy Preston say something kind of like that? Only in reverse?
>
>
If he did, then he got it right! :>)

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

agent86 wrote:

>
> Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was recorded with 4-track machines.
>
> Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on 16 track.
>
>

how many times did they have to "bounce" tracks to free up space? i
doubt that anyone kept count. it wouldnt surprise me if the actual
number of tracks topped 32 for both of those albums.

i dont make hip hop, but ive definitely seen my songs go above 40
tracks, but as someone else said, thats the exception and not the rule.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:36:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< But you work with Kronos, right?
That's NOT your grandfather's string quartet. >>

Right. And this sure isn't your grandpa's recording project.


Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:54:11 -0400, ghostdog69 wrote
(in article <2480a1fd.0407260854.37a1102a@posting.google.com>):

> After some consideration I've decided on splurging on a lower end pro
> tools set up. I was thinking about the digi001 but was wondering
> about the track cound. LE gives 32 tracks of audio. Is this enough
> for recording both the song and vocals at once? I'm doing hip hop &
> urban music. Anyone using Pro TOols LE, what kind of work are you
> getting done with it?
>
> Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
> it in a update?

Forget about the 001. It's discontinued. Move on to the 002.

Regards,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford
July 28, 2004 11:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

jdavyd williams wrote:

> agent86 wrote:
>
>>
>> Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was recorded with 4-track machines.
>>
>> Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on 16 track.
>>
>>
>
> how many times did they have to "bounce" tracks to free up space? i
> doubt that anyone kept count. it wouldnt surprise me if the actual
> number of tracks topped 32 for both of those albums.

I'm sure there were numerous bounces on both. But it's still a good
illustration that creativity is the real limiting factor, not track count.

Certainly, having more tracks available is a real convenience. But during
the "Golden Age" of rock & roll, most of the "Benchmark" recordings were
made on machines of 16 tracks or less. Granted, the biz itself has changed
a lot over time, & I'm certainly not implying that more tracks or better
gear stifles creativity. But we're talking about the entire catalogue of
artists like The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Cream,
Hendrix, The Doors, the list goes on.

So yeah, I still think if you NEED more than 32 tracks, (with very few
exceptions) you likely need something else even more.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:59:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <20040727111923.21388.00000549@mb-m18.aol.com>,
scotfraser@aol.com (ScotFraser) wrote:

!<< How many
!monitors(VGA) do you use? >>
!
!Two 18.5" NEC LCDs. One for the mixer, transport & track overview, the other
!for the sequence, i.e. the waveform display. And it's nowhere near enough
!screen real estate. Two 23" Cinema displays might be able to show everything.
!
!
!Scott Fraser

Apple will be shipping 30" displays next month...

--
KelL
AFTRA
"Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses."
--Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 5:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <HailEris-0D7BE5.07591929072004@individual.net> HailEris@mailcity.com writes:

> Apple will be shipping 30" displays next month...

That's getting there. I always said I would consider using my computer
as a console when I had a monitor as big as my console.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Apple will be shipping 30" displays next month...
>>

At over $3k I believe.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:59:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<cLydnew4hKBKMZrcRVn-jQ@comcast.com>...
-snip-
> Forget about the 001. It's discontinued. Move on to the 002.

this is true, Ty. however, just because it's discontinued doesn't mean
a properly functioning unit doesn't work for anyone anymore. it still
does the same thing it did when it came out. i know people who still
use Audiomedia III cards and it fulfills all their needs very
satisfactorily.

the 001 is a viable, and for some people, *more* desirable option than
a 002 (or 002R). a qualified computer and 001 are much cheaper than a
similar 002 setup and there are many people who's genre of music don't
really benefit much from the higher resolution offered. the money
saved could be put towards other useful gear or just, well, *saved*...

the *right* tool for the right job is not necessarily the *newest*
tool.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:33:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 29 Jul 2004 13:18:18 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

>
>In article <HailEris-0D7BE5.07591929072004@individual.net> HailEris@mailcity.com writes:
>
>> Apple will be shipping 30" displays next month...
>
>That's getting there. I always said I would consider using my computer
>as a console when I had a monitor as big as my console.

You could always use a high end graphic card and a 50 inch hdtv, but
it would be a bitch to configure.

Randall
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message
> That's getting there. I always said I would consider using my computer
> as a console when I had a monitor as big as my console.

No one is ever going to buy a TV with a console in it ;-)
July 30, 2004 2:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

mbox is usb 1.1 as far as i can remember, with no announced plans to
go to 2.0.

32 tracks for me is overkill, but some people say it's not enough.
depends on how you work and arrange.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:37:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:59:18 -0400, transducr wrote
(in article <ac00ffb8.0407291459.1f9693b1@posting.google.com>):

> Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:<cLydnew4hKBKMZrcRVn-jQ@comcast.com>...
> -snip-
>> Forget about the 001. It's discontinued. Move on to the 002.
>
> this is true, Ty. however, just because it's discontinued doesn't mean
> a properly functioning unit doesn't work for anyone anymore. it still
> does the same thing it did when it came out. i know people who still
> use Audiomedia III cards and it fulfills all their needs very
> satisfactorily.
>
> the 001 is a viable, and for some people, *more* desirable option than
> a 002 (or 002R). a qualified computer and 001 are much cheaper than a
> similar 002 setup and there are many people who's genre of music don't
> really benefit much from the higher resolution offered. the money
> saved could be put towards other useful gear or just, well, *saved*...
>
> the *right* tool for the right job is not necessarily the *newest*
> tool.

I didn't say it didn't work. I have an 001 with external preamps and A/D
conversion. They both make a substantial improvement in a stock 001, but for
$795 it was a deal.

I wouldn't buy an 001 now. The 002 has a lot of nicer features. And, unlike
the 001, it's still being supported by digi.

Regards,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>You could always use a high end graphic card and a 50 inch hdtv, but
>it would be a bitch to configure.
>

You can get a 50" DLP TV for $3000.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:43:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>
>the *right* tool for the right job is not necessarily the *newest*
>tool.

Aaaah!!! Blasphemy!!! <g>!!

I just bought PT 02R recenty. Kicking and screaming go I into the dark night
of dumping money into computer stuff out in the studio. I've been like the
Sienfeld episope, keeping the worlds from colliding. The studio had quality
analog gear that held it's value, the house was where I bought a new computer
every few years. As many times as I've been burned, it's just throwing good
money after bad, and i know that, and yet I just did it yet again with the G4
and PT 02R.

Anyone wanna buy an Amiga? A 386? Mac 6500? How about the imac I am typing
on here in the house?
God, that's gotta be like $10K.

So, yes, I agree with what you are saying. I will be saying the same thing in
defense of PT 02R when PT 03R comes out.

-jeff
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

"ghostdog69" <ghostdog69@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:2480a1fd.0407260854.37a1102a@posting.google.com...
>
> Does the Mbox take advantage of usb 2.0? If not are they considering
> it in a update?




What would be the benefit of it going to USB 2? It works perfectly
under USB 1.1.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 7:58:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.music.synth (More info?)

In this place, Lorin David Schultz was recorded saying ...
>
> What would be the benefit of it going to USB 2? It works perfectly
> under USB 1.1.

Perhaps that should read "works perfectly under USB 1.1" ... until you
need to plug in another USB device alongside ??

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:34:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Perhaps that should read "works perfectly under USB 1.1" ... until you
need to plug in another USB device alongside ?? >>

Like?



---------------------------------------
"I know enough to know I don't know enough"
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:54:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In this place, EggHd was recorded saying ...
> << Perhaps that should read "works perfectly under USB 1.1" ... until you
> need to plug in another USB device alongside ?? >>
>
> Like?

.... a storage device?
.... certain keyboards or mice?
.... the flash card reader you got to transfer piccies of your clients
onto CDs of the monitor mixes? ;^)

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In this place, Lorin David Schultz was recorded saying ...
>
> I use a whack o' USB widgets all at once with no problems. No USB
> keyboard because it's a laptop, but I am using a USB mouse, iLok,
> shuttle controller, numeric keypad and the Mbox all at once. I've never
> encountered a problem.
>
> I'm not saying there's no justification for the existence of USB 2, but
> I don't understand how the Mbox would benefit from an "upgrade." It
> ain't broken, if you know what I mean.

Good point Lorin. The problem though, is this; the maximum theoretical
bandwidth of a USB port is only good enough for a few 44.1/16 channels
of audio. Problems in the protocol used (esp. lack of isochronous
transfer mechanisms) and the way that USB 1 chipsets interface to the
motherboard mean that even these limits cannot be realised in practise.

As long as you have a reliable USB 1 implementation (and I don't know of
any problems in any Macs) transferring a couple of channels of audio in
both directions shouldn't cause a problem - on its own. Much more than
this is really sailing too close to the wind - as a number of
manufacturers have discovered.

But you should be aware that were you to try (say) using an external
disk drive to store your recordings, the whole pack-o-cards comes
tumbling down. And long before the theoretical limits are reached.

USB 2 uses the IT industry's favourite means to overcome this kind of
problem: wait until things get fatser then pretend the problem never
existed!

I'm being a little unfair there (and tongue is firmly in cheek) but
there you have your answer for the benefits of USB 2.

And, incidentally, why more multi-channel audio devices are arriving
with Firewire interfaces than USB 2 - even though claimed bandwidths are
similar on both (in fact USB 2 is faster - in theory - than IEEE-1394a,
the initial Firewire spec).

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
!