Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Moving Windows 7 to different hardware

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2010 1:22:42 PM

Hello,
i have windows 7 64bit ultimate en version.i need to replace all hardware but stay with my hard drive.i have tunend my w7 and install a lot prog.
in a test thet i made i get bsod 0x0000007B.the very famous one.
so,i know how to do this in older version of windows.(vista is not os,not 4 me),any one can help in windows 7?
February 8, 2010 2:01:31 PM

Moving Hard Disk to new computer = FAIL

the reason for this is that unless the hardware is virtually identical, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) that windows uses to load in all the basic drivers and services atr startup will be significantly different from, and hence irrelevant to the hardware you have changed to.

Even if you could get it to work, you would probably lose a lot of the benefits you gained from tweaking your system as the new setup is likely to be more unstable and worse performance.

Bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall - deep down you'll be happier plus it will probably be quicker than forcing the new hardware to work with the old install after youve ironed out all the problems you are likely to encounter.

If it helps, check out allmyapps.com or ninite.com to bulk download and install all of your common applications....
Score
February 8, 2010 3:48:34 PM

it just wouldnt work unless same mobo, and for that fact after you change out a specific ammount of hardware you ahve to reactivate anyways. there is one other option though. install 7 on another hard drive and just use the old one as a secondary drive all your old registry settings will be entact but you cant install to that registry or uninstall old software from that install so basically you just have access to some of your old software and all of your data.
Score
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 4:58:45 PM

It can be done. Normally it's better to do a fresh install when changing the motherboard. However, you likely need to just do a windows repair.

Tap f8 on startup to access the safe mode menu. Use the repair tools to repair your install.
Score
June 29, 2011 1:17:11 PM

Do it the professional way... make all the modifications you want, sysprep your machine in audit mode and deploy HAL independent image to other computer. Done. There is a caveat though, you need the full retail version. You can not move an OEM version. The license is tied to the specific computer that was purchased with it installed.

Quick video:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee530017

Score
a b \ Driver
a c 395 $ Windows 7
June 29, 2011 1:20:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!