Can't connect to HomeGroup from a domain-joined Windows 7 computer

kershek

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I have a Windows 7 PC that's joined to a domain. The network location says "Domain network" and cannot be changed. According to Microsoft, you must set your location to "Home" in order to be able to join a computer to an already existing HomeGroup.

My advanced sharing settings for both Home and Domain (domain being the current profile) show all the sharing and discovery settings enabled. HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider services are started. My Windows Firewall is enabled. I can connect to \\computername\ of my HomeGroup computers.

However, I cannot join the HomeGroup. It says "There is currently no homegroup on your network."

I read the following:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617166%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I verified the group policy settings do not prohibit me from changing my network location from Domain to Home so that I may join a HomeGroup. However, I still cannot click on "Domain network" in order to change it to Home.

How can I join this computer to the HomeGroup?

mkik

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

mkik

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hi Kershek,

sorry about the missing response text. Obviously something went wrong in the sign-up-and-respond-at-the-same-time process ;) -my bad for not checkíng before submitting.

I've experienced the same problem as you and I found out that the culprit was the AVG firewall installed on one of my PCs.
To troubleshoot your problem I would advice you to:
* remove internet access from your network
* disable the software firewall on all your HomeGroup PCs
* try connecting your PCs to the HomeGroup again, running the HomeGroup troubleshooting on each where necessary

If successful
* re-enabling the software firewalls one by one, each time checking that the HomeGroup still works

Where the HomeGroup connectivity stops working, find out how to enable HomeGroup access through the firewall. In my case (AVG), there's a specific setting for allowing this kind of traffic in {all, safe or no} profiles

Make sure you have re-enabled all firewalls before reconnecting your network to the internet.

Hope this helps :)

BR, Mkik

kershek

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the response. I'm only using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials on the PCs in the network. Although it has the exceptions in the firewall, I disabled it but still get the same results.

What is the reasoning behind removing internet access from the network?