Warning!!! A lot of junk name-brand SDRAM!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Check this out, I just got some Samsung PC133, 4 chip 128MB. Now, this type of memory is NOT COMPATABLE with most systems old enough to actually NEED SDR SDRAM!!! No, it's not that it's PC133, it's because it's too dense. Tested on various TX, LX, and BX boards, this type of memory either is not read at all, or comes up at half size. Your modules for one of these older chipsets should be at least 8-chip for 128MB or 16-chip for 256MB, for all chipsets older than the i815. Because most people who would use a module this small would be upgrading an older system, it does not belong on the market at all!!! Worse yet, the 4, 8 and 16 chip modules are ALL labled 16x64, you usually have to actually LOOK at the chip specs on the manufacturers pages to find the details. Other manufacturers have releases similar modules.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I ran into this very problem a while back also. I use Crucial and Corsair now. Samsung had their chance and blew it for me.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not a defect in the memory though, the problem is, the memory density is too high for most motherboards capable of using SDR SDRAM!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I know that the stick worked fine. But when they make something that doesn't fit in about 90% of the standard and don't lable it boldly I think there is something wrong. I wouldn't want others to be ignorant like I was and just look for a stick that seems right and have it not fit at all.

Just my opinion.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I can see no reason for even having such a product on the market!