D-Link DWL-650+ not connecting: HELP

bondie

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I have an Acer TravelMate 220 running windows xp pro with a D-Link DWL-650+ wireless card that I am trying to connect to a Huawei EchoLife HG532 (AOL issue spec) wirless router.

I can install the software on to the computer via the cd provided so that windows can reconise it.

Windows then pops up saying 'Wireless network connections avalable'.

I then click on it, select my network and enter the password but to no avail, it pops up agin saying the same thing.

There is also no luck in the D-Link AirPlus software as I select my network, enter the password and it does not connect.

I do not want to connect through Ad-Hoc but I tried it and it would connect but only send packets, not recive.

Can anyone help (I am not an expert at computers although I know most stuff)

Regards

What version of Windows XP Pro are you running? SP3 (Service Pack 3)? SP2 (Service Pack 2)? IIRC, prior to SP3 it needed an update to support WPA2. So that's a potential issue.

If the problem continues, try briefly disabling wireless security on the router and see if you get connected. If you do, then obviously it’s a security problem.

bondie

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

That could be a problem as mine is WPA2, I don't have any service pack, could you give me a link to the update as I can not find it please?

OMG, you're stilling running the original XP Pro?! That's asking for trouble. Microsoft doesn't even update that release anymore, only SP3 (and even that’s coming to an end in about a year). Many serious vulnerabilities have been addressed by Microsoft in their updates and service packs. Also, the original XP Pro didn't even have a firewall (or perhaps it did but wasn't enabled by default, can’t remember at this point).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

bondie

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

No that still hasn't worked. :(
If it helps I have a Netgear wireless usb dongle and that will work fine, I wanted to get the card working really.

Well that would probably have been useful to know before you went to all the trouble of updating Windows, although it's probably good that you did anyway.

Anyway, if your Netgear wireless adapter works, then we know the problem isn't Windows.

So I took a closer look into the D-Link DWL-650+ and noticed the last driver update (v3.07) dates back to 12/3/2003! And it appears it only supports wireless B and WEP (which iirc, was the only wireless security protocol available at the time). If that's the case, and your router is using a later standard like wireless G or N (B is either unavailable or disabled), or WPA/WPA2, then the D-Link DWL-650+ isn't going to work except if the router is also configured for wireless B and WEP, which is not recommended (WEP security was broken many years ago).

That's why I suggested initially that you attempt to connect to the router w/ the router's wireless security OFF. That would confirm whether or not you had basic connectivity, and whether this was just a case of wireless security incompatibilities, which it appears is likely the case.

That's the problem w/ mixing old and new; old OSes, old adapters, new wireless security standards, new routers, etc. Over time it gets more and more difficult to maintain compatibility.

kenhid

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

Youre right, if you change the roter settings to WEP encryption, the wireless Card works. .. I just resolved this problem last night, thanks a lot for your info...

TRENDING THREADS