Sign in with
Your question

Slow Download Speeds

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 28, 2012 12:41:36 PM

Hi yesterday i ended up giving my parents my old Linksys WRT54GS router for their house and bought a new Linksys E1500 wireless router, and well i have a PC i use in my room hooked to the tv and i had been using a D-Link DWA-125 USB wireless adapter and it worked great with the old router. Now that i have the new router and i go to do a speed test im only getting 0.17mbps download speed and the upload seems ok at 4.37mbps. all of the other machines on my network seem to be fine as well wireless and wired they are all getting 34mbps download. i have also tried updating the driver for the USB adapter and resetting my modem and router and PC and nothing seems to be working and im stumped here. any help please? also the machine with the USB adapter is running windows 7 ultimate 32bit not sure if that matters

More about : slow download speeds

June 28, 2012 1:18:45 PM

One difference that immediately comes to mind is that now your wireless N USB adapter is using a wireless N router, whereas before it was limited to wireless G w/ the Linksys WRT54GS. So as an experiment, try setting the Linksys E1500 wireless mode to "G Only" and see what happens. IOW, let's force the USB adapter to use G even w/ your new wireless N router.
June 28, 2012 2:19:34 PM

Ok ill give this a try after work. Thanks!
June 28, 2012 9:36:32 PM

ok went home tried that had no better results so i downloaded the setup for the dlink and went thru and used the auto connect secure feature with the router on g and then b/g only and only got a connection of 3mbps download so i set router back to mixed so it can use all the diff ones and redid the dlink config and now im getting 5.22 download and 3.53 upload any ideas?
!