midi clock to start stop switch

Last response: in Home Audio
July 26, 2004 8:55:44 PM

ok here's what...and u need to stay with me on this one.

i own a BOOMERANG Phrase Looper. i use it on my guitar. i am currently
putting together a solo performance project involving me live on
acoustic or electric guitar, vocals, a sequencer controlling a drum
module/synth module and the Boomerang for looping guitar and mic
sounds from either my vocals or my hand drum.

now......i dont want to sequence every song so that the shows rigid to
the point of 2nd-verse-starts-on-bar52-no-matter-what. no.
instead i want an interactive show involving live loops and pre
programmed sequences that i start and stop whenever. but...........
how do i get my looper to sync with my sequencer?

well i called the manufacturer and had a long talk with him and the
easiest thing i came up with is to realtime quantize my manual
operation of the record start and stop process. very important as this
determines the loop length.

so the following is my idea. sorry for being longwinded but i want
serious answers only.

i want to take the midi clock out of my sequencer and translate it to
1/4 note pulses. send those pulses to one input on an AND gate.
connect a pedal switch so that it sends a pulse with some duration
(1/16th note length maybe?) to the other AND input. the output of the
gate Q, operates a switch that i will hook in parallel with the
buttons on the Boomerang.
this way if i hit it too early, i send a pulse to the other side of
the AND gate up to a 1/16 note early. but IT STAYS HIGH for a pre
programmed duration! so it eventually coincides with the actual 1/4
note pulse on the 1st input of the gate. only then would the output
toggle the switch thus effectively quantizing my input.
so thats my plan. of course it only works if i hit the pedal too
early. wouldnt work if i hit it too late. but i could live with that.

question is... HOW DO I TURN MIDI CLOCK TO 1/4 NOTE PULSES. any
schematics to share? or alternative ways to the same end?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:26:48 AM

In article <b8a337c3.0407261555.7818158a@posting.google.com> adrian@rivaband.com writes:

> question is... HOW DO I TURN MIDI CLOCK TO 1/4 NOTE PULSES. any
> schematics to share? or alternative ways to the same end?

Seems like JLCooper used to make a gadget like that. You want to buy
something, not build it, because "MIDI Clock" is actually a MIDI data
stream and you'll need some software (usually a PLD) to extract the
clock pulses. There were a couple of others. I'll bet if you're a good
eBay searcher, you can find something that will do the job.

July 27, 2004 9:11:48 PM

Hmmmm...........letsee..............I'd call JL Cooper. I'm using a DataSync
II to *learn* midi clock/song pointer position and sync a sequencer to the
start/stop of an ADAT machine while simultaneously wslaving a laptop running
ACID to smpte being sent from the Datasync into the smpte input of an Opcode
Studio64 XTC on the laptop, so basically I'm controlling my hardware
sequencer and ACID with the start/stop of the ADAT machine through the
DataSync II.

I know this isn't exactly what you are wanting, but JL Cooper specializes in
ubersync and there's probably some combination of gadgetry that you could
come up with to do what you're wanting to do.

They are in the USA and they have a phone number you can call to actually
speak to a human being about this.

Good luck,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO

"Sean Bartholomew" <adrian@rivaband.com> wrote in message
> ok here's what...and u need to stay with me on this one.
>
> i own a BOOMERANG Phrase Looper. i use it on my guitar. i am currently
> putting together a solo performance project involving me live on
> acoustic or electric guitar, vocals, a sequencer controlling a drum
> module/synth module and the Boomerang for looping guitar and mic
> sounds from either my vocals or my hand drum.
>
> now......i dont want to sequence every song so that the shows rigid to
> the point of 2nd-verse-starts-on-bar52-no-matter-what. no.
> instead i want an interactive show involving live loops and pre
> programmed sequences that i start and stop whenever. but...........
> how do i get my looper to sync with my sequencer?
>
> well i called the manufacturer and had a long talk with him and the
> easiest thing i came up with is to realtime quantize my manual
> operation of the record start and stop process. very important as this
> determines the loop length.
>
> so the following is my idea. sorry for being longwinded but i want
> serious answers only.
>
> i want to take the midi clock out of my sequencer and translate it to
> 1/4 note pulses. send those pulses to one input on an AND gate.
> connect a pedal switch so that it sends a pulse with some duration
> (1/16th note length maybe?) to the other AND input. the output of the
> gate Q, operates a switch that i will hook in parallel with the
> buttons on the Boomerang.
> this way if i hit it too early, i send a pulse to the other side of
> the AND gate up to a 1/16 note early. but IT STAYS HIGH for a pre
> programmed duration! so it eventually coincides with the actual 1/4
> note pulse on the 1st input of the gate. only then would the output
> toggle the switch thus effectively quantizing my input.
> so thats my plan. of course it only works if i hit the pedal too
> early. wouldnt work if i hit it too late. but i could live with that.
>
> question is... HOW DO I TURN MIDI CLOCK TO 1/4 NOTE PULSES. any
> schematics to share? or alternative ways to the same end?
July 28, 2004 8:04:21 AM

Sean Bartholomew <adrian@rivaband.com> wrote:
> question is... HOW DO I TURN MIDI CLOCK TO 1/4 NOTE PULSES. any
> schematics to share? or alternative ways to the same end?

some of the less in-vogue roland drum machines (707/727, 626) can sync
to midi clock and have a trigger on the rimshot. put in a pattern of
rimshots on the 1/4 notes, set it to sync to midi, and off you go.

if an audio-level trigger is all that's required, you could go with even
cheaper drum machines.

you could get something that translated midi clock to roland DIN sync
which is 24PPQ, then divide that by 24 to get the quarter notes, but at
that point you minus well program a pic microcontroller to do the same
thing...

"someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
to write provably correct software. also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:08:05 AM

thanks a lot guys for all the info. i really appreciate it.
i guess if i find a cheap way to filter just, say, ch 15, then i would
have a midi signal that i could control maybe a transistor that could
in turn run a relay?

agrier@poofygoof.com (Aaron J. Grier) wrote in message news:<10ge9e5bj21n77b@corp.supernews.com>...
> Sean Bartholomew <adrian@rivaband.com> wrote:
> > question is... HOW DO I TURN MIDI CLOCK TO 1/4 NOTE PULSES. any
> > schematics to share? or alternative ways to the same end?
>
> some of the less in-vogue roland drum machines (707/727, 626) can sync
> to midi clock and have a trigger on the rimshot. put in a pattern of
> rimshots on the 1/4 notes, set it to sync to midi, and off you go.
>
> if an audio-level trigger is all that's required, you could go with even
> cheaper drum machines.
>
> you could get something that translated midi clock to roland DIN sync
> which is 24PPQ, then divide that by 24 to get the quarter notes, but at
> that point you minus well program a pic microcontroller to do the same
> thing...
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:15:15 PM

adrian@rivaband.com (Sean Bartholomew) wrote in message news:<b8a337c3.0407261555.7818158a@posting.google.com>...

> i want to take the midi clock out of my sequencer and translate it to
> 1/4 note pulses. send those pulses to one input on an AND gate.
> connect a pedal switch so that it sends a pulse with some duration
> (1/16th note length maybe?) to the other AND input. the output of the
> gate Q, operates a switch that i will hook in parallel with the
> buttons on the Boomerang.

i wonder if it would be possible to get your sequencer to drive a
device that outputs an audio pulse every 1/4 note (i think someone
recommended a 707 rimshot)-- then interface that to cmos/ttl somehow
.. . .

wasn't midi supposed to fix all this back in '83?

best of luck,
chris deckard
saint louis mo
!