Sign in with
Your question

Very slow download speeds

Last response: in Networking
July 22, 2012 8:46:05 PM

Okay about 3 days about my old router died. It was the blue Linksys Wireless G Router with the two antennas in the back (I cannot remember the product name).

Yesterday I bought a Belkin N300 Wireless N router that can run at a max of 300mbs (Theorized). Got everything set up and found out I am getting much much much slower download speeds than I was before. I could have my iPhone on Wifi Streaming a YouTube vid, while on my Xbox playing Multiplayer, and on my computer streaming a another video, and the video on my computer would still have okay speed on streaming on my old router. Now when I have my Xbox turned off, and the Wifi on my iPhone turned off, and only my computer's wifi on and then I try to download/stream something on the computer, I am getting no more than .8Mbps which is roughly 100KBps or 6MB in a minute.. Its quite depressing and I have no idea what to do.

Please help me out, Tell me what I should/can do to increase my download speeds, any and all suggestions will help.

Also I know how routers work and everything. My constant endeavor to figure out the answer to my question through bing or google has lead to people answering the same question with a lecture on how routers work and saying that the router is not the problem, its the ISP... Which doesn't make any since because the 4 year old router that ran G with a broken antenna ran faster than the brand new router that runs N with 4 internal antenna's and a signal booster for longer range...

Again please help

More about : slow download speeds

July 22, 2012 10:31:15 PM

Nevermind lol upon searching in the forums I found a person who had a similar problem and a guy answered with a list of steps to make it where you won't have wireless problems. One of them was disabling the QoS Setting and when I did this my download speeds shot up from .6-.8Mbps to 19.23Mbps :D :D :D 
m
l
March 26, 2013 10:56:05 AM

I HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM .THEN I CONFIGURED THE FIREWALL SETTING IN BELKIN 300.ADD YOUR MAC ADDRESS TO THE FIREWALL OF BELKIN .USUALLY U GET IT BY TYPING 192.168.1.1 ON UR BROWSER .UNDER THE FIREWALL CLICK MAC ADDRESS FILTERING .ADD MAC ADD AND APLLY CHANGES.IF U DONT KNOW THE MAC ADD CLICK DHCP CLIENT LIST IN THE SAME PAGE .AND ALSO CLICK ON THE DMZ UNDER FIREWALL AND ENABLE THE LAPTOP IP ADDRESS WHICH U WILL SEE ON DHCP CLIENT LIST .HOPE IT WORKS .TRY
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2013 12:50:23 PM

Lingam Sagaran said:
I HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM .THEN I CONFIGURED THE FIREWALL SETTING IN BELKIN 300.ADD YOUR MAC ADDRESS TO THE FIREWALL OF BELKIN .USUALLY U GET IT BY TYPING 192.168.1.1 ON UR BROWSER .UNDER THE FIREWALL CLICK MAC ADDRESS FILTERING .ADD MAC ADD AND APLLY CHANGES.IF U DONT KNOW THE MAC ADD CLICK DHCP CLIENT LIST IN THE SAME PAGE .AND ALSO CLICK ON THE DMZ UNDER FIREWALL AND ENABLE THE LAPTOP IP ADDRESS WHICH U WILL SEE ON DHCP CLIENT LIST .HOPE IT WORKS .TRY

Putting your PC's in a DMZ is not a good idea as it totally bypasses the router's firewall and is left unprotected. Putting your game console in the DMZ makes more sense.

m
l
July 10, 2013 2:16:33 PM

AcidElement said:
Nevermind lol upon searching in the forums I found a person who had a similar problem and a guy answered with a list of steps to make it where you won't have wireless problems. One of them was disabling the QoS Setting and when I did this my download speeds shot up from .6-.8Mbps to 19.23Mbps :D :D :D 

Could you link the steps? I am having the same problem.
m
l
!