Mail and Messenger won't work reliably over wireless LAN

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Hi,

My configuration is as follows.

Windows XP Home gateway machine connected to Internet via
USB satellite modem. Runs ICS.

Windows XP Home laptop connected to gateway with
Microsoft Wireless Notebook Kit MN-802, consisting of
Wireless PC card in Laptop, and Base station connected to
gateway PC via ethernet LAN cable. Base station is set to
run in Access Point mode, i.e. routing, HDCP, etc turned
off.

Web browsing works fine on the laptop, but email and
Microsoft Messenger do not. Messenger just never seems to
connect. I have tried both IMAP and POP servers, and in
each case the mail client logs on the server OK, but
cannot download messages reliability. Generally no
messages are loaded, but every now and then one or two
will get through.

I have tried running email clients on the Gateway PC and
the work fine. I also tried replacing the Wireless LAN
witha wired connection, and both mail clients on the
laptop worked fine. So I am really puzzled as to what
could cause the Wireless LAN to interfere with the mail
and Messenger. I assume it must be something with the
Wireless network connection on the laptop.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Guy

Posting your message repeatedly isn't going to get you an answer sooner.

You might want to wait until someone has a solution to your issue....

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -