Sign in with
Your question

Extending an ethernet cord

Last response: in Networking
July 23, 2012 2:20:59 AM

Hey, i know they exist but i cannot find one, it is a little adapter that connects two ethernet cables together, i am in desperate need of one, i do not want a switch with multiple hubs, or another router ( i am currently using a router for an extender and it is only causing problems) So if anyone can tell me where i can get one, it would be greatly appreciated
July 23, 2012 2:24:00 AM

Try eBay (search for ethernet extender). Stores like Meritline, Monoprice, etc., will have them too.
m
l
July 23, 2012 1:01:11 PM

Your question is kind of vague. If your line is over 300 feet, you need an ethernet extender like the one listed above. If it's less than 300 feet, you can use an ethernet coupler, but I recommend a continuous single ethernet cable over using a coupler.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-RJ45-Coupler-F-F-Straight/...
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 4:46:18 PM

Don't use a router to lengthen your network, use a switch. Although a router with DHCP and turned off should work OK.

The ethernet network connectors don't work too well, I have tried a few and none worked. Get a longer cable, they are not expensive if you get it online.
m
l
July 23, 2012 5:46:23 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The ethernet network connectors don't work too well, I have tried a few and none worked. Get a longer cable, they are not expensive if you get it online.

I agree, which is why I recommended a longer cable. Most couplers have loose fittings which can cause you to lose the connection even though the cables still look attached to the coupler properly. The ones I used worked, but I only used them until I could get a longer run in place.
m
l
!