CAS underclocking?!

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
First lil sys specs:
AMD 1600 XP
512MB DDR 2100
MSI NForce w/AWARD 2.4BIOS (latest)

My bois has four settings for CAS, they are: AUTO, 3, 2.5, and 2. I'm doing a bit of system tweaking and it's set to AUTO. I wish I knew what auto was selecting or how it worked, the documentation on this is almost nonexistant from my mobo manual ;\

Anyway, I took it off AUTO and set it to CAS 3 (slowest right?) and my comp can't boot and makes a 1sec beep in every 2secs, kinda scared me. I cleared the CMOS and thought wtf, then I tried again... same results. Next time I set to 2.5 CAS (cant get anyworse right?). It did POST but it says CMOS error and defaults it. Reboot, back to BOIS and I set it to 2.0 (why not). No problems.

So this raises a few questions.
First what CAS ram do I have?
Second is AUTO running CAS 2.0?
Third is CAS just set and can't be "underclocked" so assuming I have CAS2 ram I can't set it to CAS3?
Fourth is CAS2 slower than CAS3 (that'd make me a newb:)
Fifth I was expecting reversed symptoms, is my BIOS just backwards?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
your right... that is wierd.

first time ive heard of cas2 working but cas3 not.
must be something within the bios with the specific mem timings that is making it do dumb thigns.

<font color=purple>I am the Motherboard Destroyer!
Hear Me Roar!</font color=purple> <font color=orange>*SQUEAK*</font color=orange>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Me too. Why would one extra cycle of delay cause a no post? Got me. Your probably right about the specific timings in the BIOS. I am still amazed at how something so small can cause so much chaos.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh.
tell me about it. ive just enjoyed 2 days of extreme frustration as my computer wouldnt boot... u can see the thread in the mobo forum. in the end it was an amazingly simple solution... and for the life of me ive no idea WHY it worked.

<font color=purple>I am the Motherboard Destroyer!
Hear Me Roar!</font color=purple> <font color=orange>*SQUEAK*</font color=orange>

Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
CAS Latenly 2 is actually faster than 2.5 or 3.
Maybe it could be your other settings, but if CAS 2 works, then you should leave it like that ´cuz its the fastest.

Baztian (hey, I´m also new)