adobe audition recover temp file

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 27, 2004 7:30:39 AM

I recorded a couple of hours in adobe audition. After I had stopped
the record a other program on my pc went wrong and restarted the pc
before I had the chance to save my recording.
In my temp folder I have an AudxCE07.tmp with the size of 3.4
Gigabytes.
Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?

TIA,
Henk.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:50:03 AM

"Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I recorded a couple of hours in adobe audition. After I had stopped
> the record a other program on my pc went wrong and restarted the pc
> before I had the chance to save my recording.
> In my temp folder I have an AudxCE07.tmp with the size of 3.4
> Gigabytes.
> Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?

Yes, just start Audition. It should find the file and ask you what you want
to do with it. Resuming the session is one of the options.

IME this feature is so reliable than when it fits, I just pull the plug on
the computer and run, and close the file later on.
July 27, 2004 4:57:13 PM

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> schreef in bericht
> "Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I recorded a couple of hours in adobe audition. After I had stopped
> > the record a other program on my pc went wrong and restarted the pc
> > before I had the chance to save my recording.
> > In my temp folder I have an AudxCE07.tmp with the size of 3.4
> > Gigabytes.
> > Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?
>
> Yes, just start Audition. It should find the file and ask you what you
want
> to do with it. Resuming the session is one of the options.
>
> IME this feature is so reliable than when it fits, I just pull the plug on
> the computer and run, and close the file later on.

I tried, the question came indeed if I wanted to continue, delete or
continue later.
Ofcourse I chose Continue, but then came an empty file, after closing down,
there was no message if I wanted to save.
I also tried after this to import (open) the tmp file, but Audtion didn't
recognize the format...
Thanx for your suggestion, but it didn't work...
Other ideas? I have made a copy of the tmp file, so it won't be deleted
accidentaly.

Henk.
July 27, 2004 4:57:14 PM

> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> schreef in bericht

>> "Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I recorded a couple of hours in adobe audition. After I had stopped
>>> the record a other program on my pc went wrong and restarted the pc
>>> before I had the chance to save my recording.
>>> In my temp folder I have an AudxCE07.tmp with the size of 3.4
>>> Gigabytes.
>>> Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?

>> Yes, just start Audition. It should find the file and ask you what
>> you want to do with it. Resuming the session is one of the options.

>> IME this feature is so reliable than when it fits, I just pull the
>> plug on the computer and run, and close the file later on.
>
> I tried, the question came indeed if I wanted to continue, delete or
> continue later.

> Of course I chose Continue, but then came an empty file, after closing
> down, there was no message if I wanted to save.

Let me guess, the temp file was not on a NTFS-formatted disk?

My comments about near-bullet-proof recovery are based on NTFS disks.

> I also tried after this to import (open) the tmp file, but Audtion
> didn't recognize the format...

IME, that never works.

> Thanx for your suggestion, but it didn't work...

My regrets.

> Other ideas? I have made a copy of the tmp file, so it won't be
> deleted accidentaly.

I suspect that the format of the disk figuratively ate your file. This can
easily happen with FAT-based file systems. It's incredibly rare on NTFS
disks. That's not to say it can't happen, just that it is very rare.

It might be time to start the greiving process...

....and perhaps contemplate migration to XP.

Sorry.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:57:14 PM

"Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Other ideas? I have made a copy of the tmp file, so it won't be
> deleted accidentaly.

Smart fellow. Have you tried renaming the temp file as a .WAV file and
opening that?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:44:28 PM

Shorty hoped against hope:
> Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?

If the automatic recover doesn't work, there is still a tiny chance
that you will be able to recover it easily, and with some work the
chances are rather good. If you know the format and number of channels
of your recording you can restructure the temp-file into separate wave
files using some creative number crunching in your favorite scripting
language. I've managed to do it once even after the temp file was
deleted. I just read the raw disc sectors and then sorted out and put
together the stuff that looked like sound using a perl script. The
problem is that Audition use neither a uniform chunk size nor a
specified channel order, so you have to guess where the chunks start
and finish, and which channel it is. Lots of scripting fun!

If the recording was just mono or stereo, it could work just importing
the temp file as PCM raw data.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:22:16 PM

"Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I tried, the question came indeed if I wanted to continue, delete or
> continue later.
> Ofcourse I chose Continue, but then came an empty file, after closing
down,
> there was no message if I wanted to save.
> I also tried after this to import (open) the tmp file, but Audtion didn't
> recognize the format...
> Thanx for your suggestion, but it didn't work...
> Other ideas? I have made a copy of the tmp file, so it won't be deleted
> accidentaly.

Go into Windows Explorer and change the extension of the .tmp file to .wav
then open it in Audition. This has worked for me a couple of times.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:17:09 PM

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:

>"Shorty" <alwaysshort75@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I recorded a couple of hours in adobe audition. After I had stopped
>> the record a other program on my pc went wrong and restarted the pc
>> before I had the chance to save my recording.
>> In my temp folder I have an AudxCE07.tmp with the size of 3.4
>> Gigabytes.
>> Is there a posibility to recover this in adobe audition?
>
>Yes, just start Audition. It should find the file and ask you what you want
>to do with it. Resuming the session is one of the options.

Before doing so scandisk should run to make sure that the disk is in
a sane state. Scandisk is for Windows 9x only. Windows NT and later
has a similar program named chkdsk.

>IME this feature is so reliable than when it fits, I just pull the plug on
>the computer and run, and close the file later on.

.... but the file system may not be so reliable.

Norbert
!