Help with Maxtor UDMA133, 80 GB and Asus p2-99 MB

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Hello, i just bought an 80 Gb Maxtor UDMA133 hard disk. I have a p3 666Mhz and a Asus p2-99 mother board, and when i tryed to install the new HD into the system it just freezes! I upgraded to the latest bios version and everything but when i try to auto detect the hard disk my system just freezes. The mother board is UDMA33 complient so it should be compatible with the Maxtor UDMA133 HD, but it just does not want to bootup...
Eny suggestions?? would a UDMA133 or RAID controler fix the problem..
Thx for eny info

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Raczyk on 07/03/02 04:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
My best guess would be its set to master along with your boot drive (assuming this is a second). Try switching jumpers to slave or Cable Select.

If its not that maybe you could tell us when your computer is freezing, does the hard drive show up during POST? Try going into the bios and seeing if you can get it to recognize it.

And if not that disconect all the other IDE cables except the one for the new hard drive and see what you get.

I can't say if a new controller would work but if your not going to use RAID with the HD I wouldn't suggest getting a RAID controller.

Hope you can get it going :)

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have tried several jumper settings but to no avail. When the PC loads up it prints the name of the Hard drive, but on the second screen of the POST it freezes. (Freezes in the chart where it trys to loads the HD, saying something like PRIMARY MASTER : UDMA MODE 2 ,!!Freeze!!). When i try to auto-detect the hard drive in BIOS it also freezes..

Do u think that the mother board i have does not support the large size of 80GB?

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
So thats the only hard drive in the machine at the moment?

Try checking the manufacture's web site for BIOS updates if the problem is the mobo not liking 80GBs ;\

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
That is the jumpers......................
Tell me on the cable Master or slave ????? and make shur you
use 2 jumpers...............
And in your bios set to auto............
let us know !!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=blue>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
my bet is much like MR oldbears... and ive personally experienced this too.
the hard drive is larger than what your bios can support.

there is a way around this, namely installing something called dynamic drive overlay.
it fools the bios into thinking a smaller drive is there, then lets you use all the capacity.

search the maxtor webpage for more info.
(also might be an idea to look for limitations about your motherboard)
a bios updata might help, if u havnt allready done one.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Yep he's right.... My 80gb reads 10gb but is all there..

<font color=blue>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=blue>

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
well ok not all ,,but 74.5gb

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
74.5Gb??? no... thats actually normal.
thats becauze the hard drive makers measure a gigabyte in decimal (1,000,000,000 bytes) while windows and most other programs measure a gigabte in binary i.e. 1024mb or 1,073,741,824 bytes

strange but true.
besides, you will never get all the capacity of a drive. some is always lost due to the boot sector

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
okie got my HD to work, but not to its full potential, i am currently only using 32GB of the 80GB available. The problem was that it did not auto-detect the HD in the BIOS so i had to use a jumber configuration witch limits the number of cylinders used in the HD and therefore limiting the size to 32GB. Is there a software solution that can solve this problem or is an ata133 controler the only solution?