Plucker introduction

May 7, 2004 6:38:08 AM

Anybody have some good, basic info on how to install and use
Plucker-related software? I've downloaded and installed Jpluck,
Plucker Desktop, and the PluckThis bookmarks but am stumbling in the
dark.

These programs seem a lot harder to use than they need to be even
considering the fact that they're free software. All I want to is
capture a web page using the PluckThis bookmark and send it to my Palm
for viewing under Plucker. PluckThis creates a ".jxl" file but I
can't figure out how to transfer the jxl file to the Palm. Plucker
Desktop works off "channels", whatever that means. (It seems like a
"channel" is just another name for a web page?) I did succeed in
capturing a piece of a web page through Plucker Desktop and
transferring it to my Palm. But there isn't any obvious way for
Plucker Desktop to import a jxl file.

So I guess my question is, once I've got a .jxl file, how can I get it
transferred to my Palm? Presumably I need to convert the .jxl file to
a .pdb, but how?

Help?

--
is guava a donut?

More about : plucker introduction

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 7:55:36 AM

Charles Hawtrey wrote:

> Anybody have some good, basic info on how to install and use
> Plucker-related software? I've downloaded and installed Jpluck,
> Plucker Desktop, and the PluckThis bookmarks but am stumbling in the
> dark.
>
> These programs seem a lot harder to use than they need to be even
> considering the fact that they're free software. All I want to is
> capture a web page using the PluckThis bookmark and send it to my Palm
> for viewing under Plucker. PluckThis creates a ".jxl" file but I
> can't figure out how to transfer the jxl file to the Palm. Plucker
> Desktop works off "channels", whatever that means. (It seems like a
> "channel" is just another name for a web page?) I did succeed in
> capturing a piece of a web page through Plucker Desktop and
> transferring it to my Palm. But there isn't any obvious way for
> Plucker Desktop to import a jxl file.
>
> So I guess my question is, once I've got a .jxl file, how can I get it
> transferred to my Palm? Presumably I need to convert the .jxl file to
> a .pdb, but how?

I haven't used Plucker, so my explanation is going to be incomplete.
But...

First of all, this is how Plucker works overall:

(1) You define what web pages you want to be synchronized with the Palm.
(2) On the desktop, the Plucker stuff retrieves the web pages and converts
them into a Palm format.
(3) When you hotsync, the special Plucker conduit transfers whatever
is necessary to the Palm to get its data in sync with what's on
the desktop.
(4) On the Palm, you view whatever was transfered by that conduit.

From what I can tell, a JXL file is not a Palm version of a web page.
Instead, it's a file that describes what web pages should be put onto
the Palm. In other words, it specifies a web page that you "subscribe"
to (i.e. want to see regular updates of).

To answer your other question: what is a channel? It's not just
a web page. It's any source of information (i.e. any document)
that you want to view that will be updated regularly (or every
now and then). It can be a web page, but some of the plucker
tools support other types of data streams. Like for instance RSS
feeds.

What's an RSS feed? Well, it's sort of like a web page in a way,
but it's something that's specifically meant to be updated frequently,
and it (somehow) manages the process so that you get to see what's new.
For instance, the web site techbargains.com is constantly posting
stuff about rebates and other deals on techie stuff, and as a web
page, you have to load the thing and read down until you see something
that's familiar. So you manually look at it each time to see if there
is something new you haven't seen. With RSS, the software checks
automatically and shows you only the new stuff; it can keep track
of what you have seen and what you haven't. Kind of like reading
e-mail or Usenet news, where your software remembers what you have
and haven't seen already.

Anyway, so Plucker can have a channel that is a web page, or it can
have a channel that's based on an RSS feed. Or on an Atom feed,
although I can't tell you what Atom is. :-)

Hopefully that gets you part of the way there. :-)

- Logan
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:43:04 PM

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:38:08 +0000, Charles Hawtrey wrote:

> So I guess my question is, once I've got a .jxl file, how can I get it
> transferred to my Palm? Presumably I need to convert the .jxl file to a
> .pdb, but how?

.jxl is the format JPluck uses for "channels"
May 7, 2004 5:27:53 PM

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:38:08 GMT, chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles
Hawtrey) wrote:

>Anybody have some good, basic info on how to install and use
>Plucker-related software? I've downloaded and installed Jpluck,
>Plucker Desktop, and the PluckThis bookmarks but am stumbling in the
>dark.
>
>These programs seem a lot harder to use than they need to be even
>considering the fact that they're free software. All I want to is
>capture a web page using the PluckThis bookmark and send it to my Palm
>for viewing under Plucker. PluckThis creates a ".jxl" file but I
>can't figure out how to transfer the jxl file to the Palm. Plucker
>Desktop works off "channels", whatever that means. (It seems like a
>"channel" is just another name for a web page?) I did succeed in
>capturing a piece of a web page through Plucker Desktop and
>transferring it to my Palm. But there isn't any obvious way for
>Plucker Desktop to import a jxl file.
>
>So I guess my question is, once I've got a .jxl file, how can I get it
>transferred to my Palm? Presumably I need to convert the .jxl file to
>a .pdb, but how?
>
>Help?

JPluck and Plucker Desktop are *alternatives*, not complementary. I
used Plucker Desktop for a while, but have gone to JPluck. I advise
you uninstall Plucker Desktop for the time being and try JPluck. Once
you get a .jxl file, just double-click on it to run JPluck, which will
then produce the Plucker file. JPluck has example JXL files to get you
started on figuring out your own. My personal JXL file can be
downloaded from here, if you want to see it (by the way, it's a 2.1
file, so you need the latest version of JPluck):

http://koenecke.us/mak.jxl

Here's the Plucker database that results:

http://koenecke.us/makmobile.pdb

There's a useful FAQ on the JPluck website which is worth going
through. The best resource I've found for websites which can be
plucked is here:

http://openurls.plkr.org/
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

Hi
Try the isilox and its reader isilo. Works really well. Need to
configure the isilox first but good when done.
Razoo.

Hawtrey) wrote:

>Anybody have some good, basic info on how to install and use
>Plucker-related software? I've downloaded and installed Jpluck,
>Plucker Desktop, and the PluckThis bookmarks but am stumbling in the
>dark.
>
>These programs seem a lot harder to use than they need to be evenu
>considering the fact that they're free software. All I want to is
>capture a web page using the PluckThis bookmark and send it to my Palm
>for viewing under Plucker. PluckThis creates a ".jxl" file but I
>can't figure out how to transfer the jxl file to the Palm. Plucker
>Desktop works off "channels", whatever that means. (It seems like a
>"channel" is just another name for a web page?) I did succeed in
>capturing a piece of a web page through Plucker Desktop and
>transferring it to my Palm. But there isn't any obvious way for
>Plucker Desktop to import a jxl file.
>
>So I guess my question is, once I've got a .jxl file, how can I get it
>transferred to my Palm? Presumably I need to convert the .jxl file to
>a .pdb, but how?
>
>Help?
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 4:09:41 AM

Mike Koenecke <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> crawled to the nearest keyboard
and summoned the courage to write:

>JPluck and Plucker Desktop are *alternatives*, not complementary. I
>used Plucker Desktop for a while, but have gone to JPluck. I advise
>you uninstall Plucker Desktop for the time being and try JPluck.

Yeah, I eventually figured it out by trial and error. I uninstalled
Plucker Desktop and Jpluck, rebooted for good measure (this being
Windoze), then installed JPluck and now all is well. The problem
seems to be that the JPluck hotsync can't coexist with Plucker
Desktop.

JPluck is cool, and is especially convienient to use with the
PluckThis bookmark. I like the way you can specify the number of
bits-per-pixel (color depth) of imported images.

Now I'm trying to install JPluck under Linux on my system at $DAY_JOB.
After downloading the archive, gunzipping and extracting the tarball,
there are all these .jar files -- with no discernible INSTALL file or
other helps. I guess you're "just supposed to know" but being
Java-impaired it looks to be more effort than I'm willing to give.

Thanks to all who have responded.

--
is guava a donut?
Anonymous

Charles Hawtrey <chawtrey@hotpop.com> wrote:

> Now I'm trying to install JPluck under Linux on my system at $DAY_JOB.
> After downloading the archive, gunzipping and extracting the tarball,
> there are all these .jar files -- with no discernible INSTALL file or
> other helps. I guess you're "just supposed to know" but being
> Java-impaired it looks to be more effort than I'm willing to give.

You'd type "java -cp . -jar jpluckx.jar" whiles in the jpluck directory.

(Actually, it'll probably work without the "-cp ." part.)

Later.
--
David McIntosh
Anonymous

On Sat, 08 May 2004 00:09:41 GMT, Charles Hawtrey wrote:

> Yeah, I eventually figured it out by trial and error. I uninstalled
> Plucker Desktop and Jpluck, rebooted for good measure (this being
> Windoze), then installed JPluck and now all is well. The problem
> seems to be that the JPluck hotsync can't coexist with Plucker
> Desktop.

There shouldn't be any interference between the two unless you try to
install both conduits. I have both installed on my WinXP machine, and
both work. I use JPluck primarily, so use its conduit.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.