DAE speed problem

I am having problems when making direct cd-to-cd copies. If I burn faster than 8x, I get errors about 10% of the time and the timer (the one that tells you how much time it will take to burn the cd) does not count in real time. I've used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and Nero Burning ROM 5.5. I've checked my DAE speed in both programs. In Roxio it is 8x and in Nero it is 12x. I don't understand how the Audio Extraction speed of my CD-ROM could vary between programs, unless these two programs simply use different methods of detection. Basically, I want to know how to make direct CD-to-CD copies faster than 8x, preferably at 24x (the max speed of my burner). Here is a list of my hardware:
burner: plextor 24/10/40A (whith latest firmware upgrade)
CD ROM: Sony CDU 5211
MOBO: Epox 8k7a
CPU: AMD 1.2 Ghz Thunderbird
RAM: 768MB
I think that's all you need to know to help me. I can't imagine my system isn't up to the task, and I know other people using the same sony CD ROM can burn directly at 24x so the drive must be able to extract at that speed unless I'm missing something. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about speed problem
  1. DAE is alot different from just reading a CD... and yes, different programs do DAE at different speeds depending on the setting and error correction they use.

put simply you will allways have troubles with that sony cdrom doing dae directly with the burner. in my experience cdroms do DAE the slowest, followed by dvd drives. the best drives for doing DAE are cd burners themselves.
    and for good burns the speed of the reading drive should be RELIABLY equal to or greater than burn speed.
    a way around this is to lower your burn speed.
    a better method is not to do on the fly. do DAE and burning with the same drive.

i myself CAN do decent on the fly DAE and burning, as my pioneer 106S dvd does DAE at a constant 16x, and my burner is only a slow 12x10x32x ricoh.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:
  2. I got a 175-e sony 24/10/40 speed burner, i had problems burning above 16x ( anything above 16 would fail) i sloved this problem by placing a DVD reader in prim and the burner in secondary, i had a 52x reader prevously in prim and that seem to slove everything now i can burn a constatn of 24x make sure u install via 4 in 1 driver + make sure all DMA not PIO setting
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers Burner CD-Rom Storage