Laptop won't connect to Internet due to "software issue"

Helpabrotherout

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello,

I have a dell Inspiron laptop with windows 7. Up until 3 days ago, I was using an Ethernet connection to connect to Internet, but all of a sudden it stopped working.

I called Comcast thinking it was a modem issue, but they came and said it was fine. The laptop they brought connected just fine to the modem. I was told it was probably my Ethernet port one bad. So I got a wireless router, which works fine (my phone connects) but my laptop still won't get on the Internet. It shows "connected" under network connection, but also "no Internet access" right under it.

I took the laptop to best buy who did a diagnosis and said there was some sort of software issue, and that my port and hard drive were fine.

I tried following instructions online, did some resets under command program (was pretty cool since I'm not tech savvy lol) but still no luck. I even tried doing a system restore in case my computer caught something, but still no luck.

I also checked properties to make sure obtain IP was automatic.

Do I have a virus? Is it something small I'm forgetting or a larger problem? I don't feel like paying 250 to best buy, plus I kind of like working on it myself lol. It would feel really cool if I could fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

While connected to the main router go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "IP Address", "Gateway", "DNS server" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1.

what is the IP address and DNS Server address?