PC1066 Memory: Worth the Price?

G

i don't think so IMO.
here the article on this topic: <A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,333781,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,333781,00.asp</A> from ExtremTech.

this memory is expensive, nearly 60% costly than the pc800.
it is thinly more efficient than it.
the DDR333 has nearly the same performances & costs bellow the half of its price.
Intel is busily designing chipsets that support dual-channel DDR-II memory for their next generation chipset and processor platform.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
At first when I read your post, I was expecting the article to have been written by complete morons.

Then I read the article, and it wasn't even half bad. In fact, it was pretty good. I especially liked their completely logical and simple conclusion of:
<font color=blue>
Improving memory bandwidth and reducing memory latency on 850e motherboards help only those applications that need lots of memory bandwidth--no real surprise. So if you're the average office worker, don't expect your IT guy to rush out and buy you a system equipped with PC1066 RDRAM. On the other hand, if you're a hardcore gamer, and have been contemplating a move to an 850e-based system, it just might be worth your while.
</font color=blue>

They also state the obvious in a simple manner with:
<font color=blue>
Of course, over time, PC1066 will drop in price.
</font color=blue>

In fact my only real beef with the article are the completely bad prices listed for RAM. For example they list a 256MB PC800 RIMM as $130. (Actually, they technically listed a pair of them for $260.) I don't know where the hell they buy their memory from, but since the article is only one day old and Pricewatch.com lists a 256MB Samsung PC800 RIMM at $93 today, it makes me suspect the author's ability to actually price RAM. I seriously doubt that RAM prices dropped $37 in a single day.

Now let's look at your statement of:
<font color=red>
this memory is expensive, nearly 60% costly than the pc800.
</font color=red>Really? 60%? According to Pricewatch.com, a Samsung 256MB PC1066 RIMM is a mere $119. All considered, that isn't bad at all. In fact, my math it as being only being <b>28%</b> more expensive than the RIMM price I listed previously. This is far below your super-inflated 60%.

And I won't even begin touching the extremely questionable validity of your statement that:
<font color=red>
the DDR333 has nearly the same performances
</font color=red>

So my only conclusion left is that you are the weakest link, not the article.

If you don't <i>want</i> PC1066 RAM, then don't buy it. If it isn't worth it to you, then that's fine, for you. However, I have to completely and totally disagree with every single opinion/comment that you've made.

Further, I suggest that you try researching the issue a lot more because your supposed data is just plain wrong. PC1066 isn't 60% more expensive, and single-channel (what most DDR motherboards use) DDR333 offers no where near the same bandwidth as dual-channel (what most RDRAM motherboards use) PC1066. (Whether or not the processor and/or the applications effectively use that bandwidth is a completely different subject that has absolutely nothing to do with RAM comparisons.)

On top of that, this thread belongs in the memory section, <i>not</i> the CPU section.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

G

</font color=red>
<pre>keep your insults for yourself!</pre><p><b>Thanks!</b>

Alex_10000

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
Excellent reply.

PC1066 is never meant for microsoft word.
As you can tell from Tomshardware benchmark. It scores high in games.

If games or 3D apps don't concern you, then there is little difference between geforce4 and old TNT.

Alex

G

haha. ROFL.
Excellent reply.

PC1066 is never meant for microsoft word.
As you can tell from Tomshardware benchmark. It scores high in games.
then PC1066 have been created by Intel/Rambus not for Business Applications but for gaming? HAHA.

give me plz another cutting comment... :lol:

TRENDING THREADS