  • Performance
  • Phones
Last response: in Brands
June 19, 2005 2:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Well Guys

So much for the theory that the K750 is basically the K700 with a beefed up
camera - its RF performance is somewhat poorer, sad to say. Another point
brought home by this phone is that despite the wisdom of so-called experts,
new Li ion batteries do take a few charge cycles before reaching advertised
capacity - even taking into account that new phones get a hammering due to
being treated like toys!

Whether or not RF sensitivity &/or output power can be tweaked with a future
firmware revision remains to be seen. It just goes to show that core
performance features such as being able to make/receive calls in marginal
conditions is not only a low priority to users but reviewers & manufacturers
as well. Two steps forward then one step back with SE phones in my opinion!

At least the UI & camera are both stunning.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least gives
some feedback!

More about : k750i performance top notch

June 19, 2005 4:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

me@privacy.net declared for all the world to hear...
> Well Guys
>
> So much for the theory that the K750 is basically the K700 with a beefed up
> camera - its RF performance is somewhat poorer, sad to say. Another point
> brought home by this phone is that despite the wisdom of so-called experts,
> new Li ion batteries do take a few charge cycles before reaching advertised
> capacity - even taking into account that new phones get a hammering due to
> being treated like toys!

My wife's K750i has shown no differences in RF performance to her K700.
--
Regards
Jon

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
Should be out soon...
good luck
June 20, 2005 4:15:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Thus spake pkim74@gmail.com:
> Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
> Should be out soon...
> good luck

I've been a little sloppy - RF on Voda 900 with f/w version R1A044 in the UK
is poorer than my K700i with later f/w versions. As for upgrading, I, like
many others, have had little success installing the USB flash drivers. This
initial f/w version is extremely flaky. I'm hoping various niggles get
sorted fairly soon.
--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:32:35 PM

<pkim74@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
> Should be out soon...
> good luck

Sorry for a very basic question but how do you normally go about getting a
firmware upgrade. I never upgraded any of my phones so far.
Roman
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:15:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:32:35 GMT, "r_mervart"
<r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote:

><pkim74@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
>> Should be out soon...
>> good luck
>
>Sorry for a very basic question but how do you normally go about getting a
>firmware upgrade. I never upgraded any of my phones so far.
>Roman

For the K750i go to http://www.sonyericsson.com/support and look for
software update services. Follow the instructions carefully and read
all the conditions etc. I did mine in about 30 minutes, most of the
time was spent installing the required software, the actual firmware
update only took 10 minutes or so.

The one thing I noted was there didn't appear to be a release notes
indicating the firmware version or revision history.

Good luck :)
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:15:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On 20/6/05 3:15 pm, in article hnjdb1d8ehojb9ddpjq4btoeq7g9hlrrt2@4ax.com,
"Richard Sobey" <spam@rasobey.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:32:35 GMT, "r_mervart"
> <r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <pkim74@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
>>> Should be out soon...
>>> good luck
>>
>> Sorry for a very basic question but how do you normally go about getting a
>> firmware upgrade. I never upgraded any of my phones so far.
>> Roman
>
> For the K750i go to http://www.sonyericsson.com/support and look for
> software update services. Follow the instructions carefully and read
> all the conditions etc. I did mine in about 30 minutes, most of the
> time was spent installing the required software, the actual firmware
> update only took 10 minutes or so.
>
> The one thing I noted was there didn't appear to be a release notes
> indicating the firmware version or revision history.
>
> Good luck :)

How can I find out what firmware version my K750i has?

What is the latest version number?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:13:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:37:58 +0000 (UTC), Sanj
<sanj801-newsgroups@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>How can I find out what firmware version my K750i has?
>
>What is the latest version number?

Both of the questions I don't know the answer to, but I'd like to
know.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:15:34 PM

>For the K750i go to http://www.sonyericsson.com/support and look for
>software update services. Follow the instructions carefully and read
>all the conditions etc. I did mine in about 30 minutes, most of the
>time was spent installing the required software, the actual firmware
>update only took 10 minutes or so.
>
>The one thing I noted was there didn't appear to be a release notes
>indicating the firmware version or revision history.
>
>Good luck :)

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_02
Using JRE version 1.5.0_02 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\

c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

init()
----------------------------
Sony Ericsson Update Service
Applet version: v1.23
DocumentBase:http://www.sonyericsson.com/updateservice/nocache/10242...
FilesDir:http://www.sonyericsson.com/updateservice/nocache/10242...
start()
hf.path file=C:\hf.path
No file:hf.path
No installation

Please Help!!!
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:37:58 +0000 (UTC), Sanj
<sanj801-newsgroups@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>How can I find out what firmware version my K750i has?

on your phone do the following

> * < < * < *

where ">" means move the joystick right, "<" means move joystick left,
"*" means press *

select "Service info" then "Software info"

the firmware version is the top line

>What is the latest version number?
currently R1J002

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=92737&st...

(this post is edited with the new firmware info as it comes out)

(+ Esato is the definitive site for Sony Ericsson phones)

--
To email remove .lartsspammers
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Thus spake Richard Sobey:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:32:35 GMT, "r_mervart"
> <r_mervart@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <pkim74@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Wait For the Firmware Upgrade...
>>> Should be out soon...
>>> good luck
>>
>> Sorry for a very basic question but how do you normally go about
>> getting a firmware upgrade. I never upgraded any of my phones so far.
>> Roman
>
> For the K750i go to http://www.sonyericsson.com/support and look for
> software update services. Follow the instructions carefully and read
> all the conditions etc. I did mine in about 30 minutes, most of the
> time was spent installing the required software, the actual firmware
> update only took 10 minutes or so.
>
> The one thing I noted was there didn't appear to be a release notes
> indicating the firmware version or revision history.
>
> Good luck :)

Glad its has worked for someone. Could you give some guidance on exactly
what you did to get the new hardware wizard to load the update drivers - the
instructions say to hold down the "c" key when connecting the switched off
K750i which will load the wizard. How long did hold the key down for?
--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 5:24:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Thus spake Jon:
> me@privacy.net declared for all the world to hear...
>> Well Guys
>>
>> So much for the theory that the K750 is basically the K700 with a
>> beefed up camera - its RF performance is somewhat poorer, sad to
>> say. Another point brought home by this phone is that despite the
>> wisdom of so-called experts, new Li ion batteries do take a few
>> charge cycles before reaching advertised capacity - even taking into
>> account that new phones get a hammering due to being treated like
>> toys!
>
> My wife's K750i has shown no differences in RF performance to her
> K700. --
> Regards
> Jon

What network Jon? I have a horrible sinking feeling. I'm not the 1st to
comment on this. I hope I have a lemon but the reception on mine is no
better than my old T610 which was utter shite.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to make any definitive comparisons with my K700 at
the moment as CPW in the Broad St Mall in Reading screwed up the firmware
upgrade (camera version was wrong on the 1st attempt then a week later they
couldn't sort it, so back to SE it goes). At the very least I shall request
the warranty period is extended by the time it's away for but I won't hold
my breath.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!
June 21, 2005 11:26:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

me@privacy.net declared for all the world to hear...
> > My wife's K750i has shown no differences in RF performance to her
> > K700. --

> What network Jon?

Orange.
--
Regards
Jon

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> Glad its has worked for someone. Could you give some guidance on exactly
> what you did to get the new hardware wizard to load the update drivers -
the
> instructions say to hold down the "c" key when connecting the switched off
> K750i which will load the wizard. How long did hold the key down for?
> --
> Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
> gives some feedback!

make sure the phone is off and the usb cable is not plugged in.
hold the "C" key down then plug in the usb cable.
As soon as you have plugged the cable in, let go of "C"
June 21, 2005 5:51:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Hi All,

I had some trouble installing firmware.

Everytime i held the 'c' button and then inserted cable, I got a new
hardware wizard pop up asking me to istall the driver for a usb flash
device.

I pointed the wizard to the cd that came with my 750i and i couldnt find a
driver.

Anyway if you go to the sonyericsson support site you can now download the
usb flash drivers (only about 100k in size)

After installing the drivers you need to disconnect the phone again hold the
'c' button and connect the phone again.

With any luck you firmware update should start.........Mine took about 6
minutes !

Hope this helps !

"Swiss Tony" <gwhackmybrains@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o -ednfumxq9qSSrfRVnygg@pipex.net...

> > Glad its has worked for someone. Could you give some guidance on exactly
> > what you did to get the new hardware wizard to load the update drivers -
> the
> > instructions say to hold down the "c" key when connecting the switched
off
> > K750i which will load the wizard. How long did hold the key down for?
> > --
> > Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
> > gives some feedback!
> >

> make sure the phone is off and the usb cable is not plugged in.
> hold the "C" key down then plug in the usb cable.
> As soon as you have plugged the cable in, let go of "C"

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:56:57 PM

"Enigma" <enigma.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I had some trouble installing firmware.
>
> Everytime i held the 'c' button and then inserted cable, I got a new
> hardware wizard pop up asking me to istall the driver for a usb flash
> device.
>
> I pointed the wizard to the cd that came with my 750i and i couldnt find a
> driver.
>
> Anyway if you go to the sonyericsson support site you can now download the
> usb flash drivers (only about 100k in size)
>
> After installing the drivers you need to disconnect the phone again hold
> the
> 'c' button and connect the phone again.
>
> With any luck you firmware update should start.........Mine took about 6
> minutes !
>
> Hope this helps !

Does this option work with O2? When I hold the c button and insert cable,
absolutely zilch happens - no new hardware wizzard.
June 21, 2005 7:56:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

did you power the phone down for 20 seconds before hand ?

-------------------------

"Duck" <duck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 999rp$sjs$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

> "Enigma" <enigma.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I had some trouble installing firmware.
> >
> > Everytime i held the 'c' button and then inserted cable, I got a new
> > hardware wizard pop up asking me to istall the driver for a usb flash
> > device.
> >
> > I pointed the wizard to the cd that came with my 750i and i couldnt find
> > driver.
> >
> > Anyway if you go to the sonyericsson support site you can now download
the
> > usb flash drivers (only about 100k in size)
> >
> > After installing the drivers you need to disconnect the phone again hold
> > the
> > 'c' button and connect the phone again.
> >
> > With any luck you firmware update should start.........Mine took about 6
> > minutes !
> >
> > Hope this helps !
>
> Does this option work with O2? When I hold the c button and insert cable,
> absolutely zilch happens - no new hardware wizzard.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:39:22 PM

> did you power the phone down for 20 seconds before hand ?

Yeppers. Still zilch.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:54:54 AM

news:D 99frr$ule$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

> "Enigma" <enigma.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > did you power the phone down for 20 seconds before hand ?
> >
> Yeppers. Still zilch.

Does the phone power on???
Once u have put the cable in, u have to let go of c and the screen should
light up after a few seconds.
If your using xp, there should be a logo in the taskbar when the phone is
connected.
Also check if EPIUSB.SYS is in c:\windows\system32\drivers
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:21:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Thus spake Duck:
> "Enigma" <enigma.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> did you power the phone down for 20 seconds before hand ?
>>
> Yeppers. Still zilch.

I tried nearly every possible combo I can think of under WinXP Pro. The
phone must have had its power cycled nearly a 100 times by now trying to get
the Wizard to start. Reading the Esato forums, it would appear that some h/w
configs just won't work the way SE expect. Until an alternative method is
proffered, many just won't be able to upgrade. I even tried it on a 2nd copy
of XP without luck, have disconnected other USB devices etc, etc. All K750i
USB functions work fine as does FMA!
--
!