Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing SSD to existing Windows 7 setup

Last response: in Windows 7
April 19, 2012 2:36:40 PM

Hi,

I have a setup running with 1 physical SATA disk divided in two partitions (C,D). Tomorrow i am receiving an 120GB SSD. I am planning on disconnecting the HDD and plugging the SSD with AHCI enabled in the bios and performing a clean install.

I need help for the steps after that, what is going to happen when i plug in the HDD in the 2nd SATA port? Will windows boot from the SSD and see the two partitions as D & E? If this is the case can i merge the 2 partitions after that and not lose any data? The purpose as you can see is to install fresh Win 7 on the SSD and plug in the HDD after that for storage purposes only but want 1 partition to it.
April 19, 2012 2:46:33 PM

youll set up in ahci, install windows, and then plug your hdd back in. then in bios make sure youre booting from ssd, and it should load your fresh windows install. the drive letters might be d,e or might be something else depending on what you have plugged in, youll be able to manipulate the drive letters from disk management under admin tools.

for moving stuff around / repartitioning - how big is the os partition, data partition, total? if the os partition is big enough to hold everything from the data partition, you can delete the crap on it, move everything from data to it, then delete the data partition in disk management and expand the os partition to take up the rest of the disk
April 19, 2012 2:47:44 PM

you should set your boot order as SSD first then HDD to make sure windows boot from SSD.

The second HDD should be displayed as D & E. You can't delete the two partition without loosing data, because you would be deleting the partition table that stores file location info. You can try to delete the last partition and then enlarge the first one. Might have to do some shifting around.
Related resources
April 19, 2012 2:59:13 PM

Can i delete the current C which will be D after the new install and push it at the back of the data partition? Cause i see you explain the reverse procedure of expanding it after deleting the data partition. C is 150Gb and D is 750gb
April 19, 2012 3:24:30 PM

you can use EASEUS Partition Master you can t0rrent it it's really good

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 3:58:42 PM

Drive letters. Your SSD will take two drive letters. OS will be C and that little 100 mb patrion will be D, at least until you add your HDD back in. Anyway your HDD may come up as any combination of D-> F (ie E & F, or D & E, or even D & F with the 100 mb SSD partition as inbetween ie E). BUT using Disk manager you can arrange as desired normally.).

As to your HDDs. DON't do anything for a few days - verify your SSD is working OK. You can daul boot until you wipe the OS from the HDD.

When ready
.. Just reformat HDD OS partition,
.. Move contents from 2nd HDD partition to 1st partition.
.. Delete 2nd partition then
.. expand first partition to fill disk.
All from Disk mamagement.
April 20, 2012 9:18:16 AM

Best answer selected by darkling.
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2012 1:10:10 PM

Should have included in my orignal post:
Installation:
.. Bios set to AHCI
.. Disconnect ALL other HDD
after win 7 installation do the following:
.. Disable Hibernation - saves about 6 Gigs and don't need anyway with SSD
.. Manage your page file (virtual memory). Set NIN and Max both to 1024 mb - saves about 4 to 5 Gigs. If really pushed can move to HDD with only a very small performance hit.
.. Disable restore, or at least limit the size. This can not be moved to the HDD and can grow to a large size over time.
.. Move My Documents to HDD. (optional but I do)
.. Move internet temp files to HDD (optional but I do)
.. Direct ALL downloads to the HDD.

April 21, 2012 5:54:20 AM

Back after completing the installation, all went as planned.

Another question though : is it normal that it recognizes the SSD as 111GB capacity? I dont mean the used space from hibernation - system restore etc. It sees the disk as 119GB capacity and usable are only 111GB. I have seen this in HDD disks i thought it would have been solved on SSD. Is that true?
!