OK, this has been driving me nuts for the past 2 months. I recently built a new computer (I'll list my specs at the end, in case it helps), and I was surfing the internet fine for the first 2 months or so. I only installed a handful of games that I play, and some diagnostic tools like CPU-Z, Prime 95...stuff like that. Overall I don't have much in the way of crap downloaded, especially since its a new build. I'm also running Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus. I run it weekly, never turning up anything suspicious.
When I surf non-HTTPS sites everything is blazing fast, however when I'm going to my banking website, capitalone.com, gmail (once in a while) and pretty much any other secure site, the load times are insanely slow....to get the full page to load it can take up to 2-3 full minutes at times. The fastest a HTTPS site will load would probably be around 20 seconds, again ranging up to 2-3 minutes. I can not figure out why or what is affecting this and it's driving me crazy. Below is some pertinent information.
1) My internet connection is cable 25mbps
2) I'm not using a proxy server
3) System specs: 128GB SSD, i52500k, 16GB 2133 DDR3 RAM, ASUS p8z77-v deluxe mobo, 750W Corsair PSU, Sapphire 7870 ghz edition gfx card
4) I've tried bypassing my router and directly connecting into my cable modem.....no change
5) First noticed this in Firefox, tried using Opera, IE, Chrome...I now use Chrome b/c its the fastest out of the browsers I used....although it might cut my HTTPS load times down from 3 minutes to 2...so it still sucks.
6) Tried re-installing my network drivers...same effect
7) Tried changing settings within the browsers, I forget the exact settings, but for example I changed settings in Chrome to not look at the security certificates when browsing to a secure site, or something along those lines.
I thought this could be my service provider not doing something correct on their end, but after just coming back from a LAN party where there was a 30mb/s FIOS connection I had the same thing happen there, slow HTTPS load times. So I know it some setting or something not working correctly with MY computer.
Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this and respond with any input, I know it's a bit lengthy, but I wanted to make sure I included anything and everything I tried!
I'm not going to say its not possible, but like I said before this is only a few month old build with very limited programs installed, all of which I have had on other PC's with no problems. I'm only visiting trusted websites, with limited web browsing taking place, I've built (and used) this PC primarily for gaming. I downloaded AVG just for the heck of it and did a full scan, again with nothing showing up as being a threat after the scan was completed. Does anyone have any settings or suggestions besides dropping lots of money for an antivirus program?