Sign in with
Your question

Best way to transfer current version of a folder between computers?

Last response: in Windows 8
February 13, 2013 3:56:20 PM

I'm taking a comp sci class at my school and I have to transfer my projects from my computer at school to my computer at home using a flash drive (using a cloud service is out of the picture, their internet is way too slow). I am constantly having to copy my entire project over to the flash drive. Is there any way to copy only the files that have been changed? Or to at least avoid all the prompts to overwrite/merge?
February 13, 2013 4:13:52 PM

What you are looking for is a utility for files/folders synchronization. There is many on the internet, you probably can find one that you can put on your flash drive directly and run it from there without installing it in both computers...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=folder+sync here is some

m
l
February 13, 2013 4:16:20 PM

Or better idea, work from the Flash drive instead of local copy...
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 4:24:22 PM

^ do not work from flash if this is your only copy - you are asking for trouble.
-Bruce
Edit: Make sure you eject your drive when done - do not just pull it out. If the files are being written when you pull it out - you will have BIG TROUBLE.
m
l
February 13, 2013 10:34:00 PM

dish_moose said:
^ do not work from flash if this is your only copy - you are asking for trouble.
-Bruce
Edit: Make sure you eject your drive when done - do not just pull it out. If the files are being written when you pull it out - you will have BIG TROUBLE.

Yep, this is a bad idea. Have been burned in the past. I am going to try some of those utilities tomorrow. Thanks guys!
m
l
!