editor for "non linear" editing of sound file?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 28, 2004 11:42:38 AM

Sometimes I need to make a song shorter by cutting out part of it and
attaching the ending part to a matching portion in the middle. This is very
labor intensive to do using wave editor like goldwave. I have to eyeball the
entire wave to find a section in the middle that is similar to the ending so
that when I attach the ending to it, it would just sound like a shorter song
instead of having an abrupt cutoff.

Is there an editor that facilitate this kind of manipulation? I envision
something similar to photoshop's layers. I would like to be able to copy a
piece of sound, paste it into a new "sound layer", make the new layer semi
transparent, slide the new layer around until it perfectly matches the
"background layer"... Then when I'm done, I would be able to "flatten" the
layers and output a simple wave file...

Premiere sorts of works, except that instead of layers, I can have multiple
tracks. Although, it's not as easy to compare waves between two tracks as it
is to compare a semi-transparent "layer" of wave against the background
"layer" of wave. Also, using premiere, the tracks only slide in 1/30sec
increments, which is not sufficiently fine.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:27:50 PM

I have to eyeball the
>entire wave to find a section in the middle that is similar to the ending so
>that when I attach the ending to it, it would just sound like a shorter song
>instead of having an abrupt cutoff.

Why don't you earball it instead? As helpful as the waveform drawings are for
identifying particular events, they aren't essential at all. Plenty of folks
in this group, me included, spent lots of time cutting tape without the benefit
if seeing where we were making our cuts.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:29:09 PM

Peter,

> I would like to be able to copy a piece of sound, paste it into a new
"sound layer", make the new layer semi transparent, slide the new layer
around <

You can do that easily using any multi-track audio editor. I do this kind of
stuff with Sonar all the time. The volume control for each stereo track sets
the "transparency" if you will, and you can snip, cross-fade, truncate, mute
sections, and so forth until you're happy. Then render to a new output Wave
file.

--Ethan
July 28, 2004 7:52:32 PM

In article <ONINc.6282$Qm2.395@nwrddc04.gnilink.net> nospam@nospam.com writes:

> Sometimes I need to make a song shorter by cutting out part of it and
> attaching the ending part to a matching portion in the middle. This is very
> labor intensive to do using wave editor like goldwave.

> Is there an editor that facilitate this kind of manipulation?

Fast Edit from Minnitonka Software.

But no matter how you "cut" it, this sort of editing does require some
effort and judgement.

July 28, 2004 9:56:29 PM

I think there is a Magix Audio Editor available at Comp USA..etc..for about $40
thaqt is really a great program worth more than it costs. Not sure of the name.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:52:56 PM

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Sometimes I need to make a song shorter by cutting out part of it and
>attaching the ending part to a matching portion in the middle. This is very
>labor intensive to do using wave editor like goldwave. I have to eyeball the
>entire wave to find a section in the middle that is similar to the ending so
>that when I attach the ending to it, it would just sound like a shorter song
>instead of having an abrupt cutoff.
>
>Is there an editor that facilitate this kind of manipulation? I envision
>something similar to photoshop's layers. I would like to be able to copy a
>piece of sound, paste it into a new "sound layer", make the new layer semi
>transparent, slide the new layer around until it perfectly matches the
>"background layer"... Then when I'm done, I would be able to "flatten" the
>layers and output a simple wave file...

You may use the multitrack mode of Adobe Audition. You have the same track
multiple times in the multitrack window, move each take around by right click
with the mouse. Mute/unmute/solo a track when playing and later mixdown all
"layers" into a new track. All that multitrack manipulation is done completely
in virtual mode (non-destructive), no track will be physically changed. Once
a track has ever been read by Audition it will only need to read the peak data
file (as very small file) if the track or session will be opened again, so the
program is very fast.

Norbert
!