What Capture Quality should I use?

ptw

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Hi all! Based on the recommendations from this board, I just picked up a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000XP. It's very simple to use and I'm pretty happy with it so far. It actually worked right out-of-the-box with the included drivers! Imagine that!

I want to use it to record TV and capture video off of VHS tapes, and perhaps short clips from DVD, and then either play them on my computer or else burn them onto a CD to play on my DVD player (can't wait for affordable, recordable DVD!) What capture type should I use? For TV and VHS, is VCD-NTSC going to give me the same quality as the original source, or should I be using MPEG? Also, for DVD should I be using MPEG-1 to maintain the same quality?

I also noticed that the software allows you to change the resolution for the video capture. Am I right to assume that using a higher resolution will give you a larger image but degrade overall picture appearance? If recorded at a higher resolution will it still play properly on a DVD player?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VCD=MPG. SVCD=MPEG2. VCD is adaquate for most users, and readable on more players than SVCD. It also uses less space.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They are nice, but many players can't play them. And some players can play SVCD's but not SVCD CDR's.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>