Sign in with
Your question

PS3 & Router Location/Range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 30, 2012 3:43:51 PM

So here's my situation at the moment: living in a 3 floor house, my router and computer/office area is located on the 3rd floor (my room, upstairs) and the area in which I'd like to place my PlayStation 3 and get Internet connectivity would be the 1st floor (basement).

The router I currently have is a "D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit", and I suppose my one main question is what is the best and most efficient way to ensure connectivity to my PlayStation down stairs. The main function of the PS3 will be for it's PSNetwork where I'll be getting the NFL Sunday Ticket to watch all the football games so I'm thinking have the PS3 itself actually connected might be the best idea as I don't want to lose connection mid-game - although not sure how possible or easy that is with the placement of the router vs. the PlayStation itself.

I suppose I can consider moving the modem/router itself to the basement but I'm not sure how that would effective the wireless connectivity on the other desktops/laptops throughout the house.

Looking for any and all suggestions/thoughts/comments - thanks in advance!
June 30, 2012 5:54:24 PM

It is best to put the router in a central location like the first floor. it is also preferable to use ethernet for online gaming as wifi causes higher ping times
m
l
June 30, 2012 11:03:44 PM

nhasian said:
It is best to put the router in a central location like the first floor. it is also preferable to use ethernet for online gaming as wifi causes higher ping times

Noted and noted - thanks for the reply!

I plan on moving the router/modem itself, the more I think about it - it just makes sense.

I'm just trying to see if there's another feasible way(s) out there for getting this PS3 hooked up downstairs (as you pointed out, for latency reason, etc) other than having to get an electrician to run a wire from the 2nd floor (living room/central area) to the basement (where the PS3 will be located).

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 11:05:57 PM

Looking for some more thoughts/opinions, if at all possible. Sorry for the bump.
m
l
July 11, 2012 10:56:12 PM

1 more bump -- anyone?
m
l
!