Which Power Amp for nearfield monitors?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:46 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a home studio power amp to drive my passive Tannoy Reveals
(50 Watts/4 Ohms), maybe some additional NS-10 in the future. I have heard
some good things about the Alesis RA-150, which provides 2x 45 Watt at 4
Ohms, that should be sufficient. On the other hand, a used Alesis RA-100
provides a bit more power, and they are available in the used market for
about half of the price of an RA-150.

I would like a linear amp that does not really emphasize special frequences
like some HiFi amps do.

Can anyone comment on those power amps? Any other recommendation for a
decent 19'' studio power amp about that size?

Thanks,
Juergen
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:47 PM

I think you can do a whole lot better than the Alesis stuff for not
much more money. I'd go with a Hafler P1500 if I were you. Nobody
complains about the sound of their Hafler amps, and they don't cost too
much either. The P1500 can deliver 85W into each of your 4-ohm
speakers. It's generally better to have slightly more power than your
speakers are rated. You don't want your amp clipping before your
speakers start distorting. If you don't believe me, then get a P1000
instead.

ulysses

In article <2mq0idFogaphU1@uni-berlin.de>, Juergen Klotz
<123check@onlinerock.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a home studio power amp to drive my passive Tannoy Reveals
> (50 Watts/4 Ohms), maybe some additional NS-10 in the future. I have heard
> some good things about the Alesis RA-150, which provides 2x 45 Watt at 4
> Ohms, that should be sufficient. On the other hand, a used Alesis RA-100
> provides a bit more power, and they are available in the used market for
> about half of the price of an RA-150.
>
> I would like a linear amp that does not really emphasize special frequences
> like some HiFi amps do.
>
> Can anyone comment on those power amps? Any other recommendation for a
> decent 19'' studio power amp about that size?
>
> Thanks,
> Juergen

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:47 PM

Juergen Klotz <123check@onlinerock.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a home studio power amp to drive my passive Tannoy Reveals
>(50 Watts/4 Ohms), maybe some additional NS-10 in the future. I have heard
>some good things about the Alesis RA-150, which provides 2x 45 Watt at 4
>Ohms, that should be sufficient. On the other hand, a used Alesis RA-100
>provides a bit more power, and they are available in the used market for
>about half of the price of an RA-150.

Both of these are very noxious amplifiers.

>I would like a linear amp that does not really emphasize special frequences
>like some HiFi amps do.

You will do much better with a good hi fi amplifier, like the Adcom or
Parasound boxes.

>Can anyone comment on those power amps? Any other recommendation for a
>decent 19'' studio power amp about that size?

They sound very bad. You would do much better with even the cheapest Hafler
amp.
--scott
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:47 PM

> I'm looking for a home studio power amp to drive my passive Tannoy Reveals
> (50 Watts/4 Ohms), maybe some additional NS-10 in the future. I have heard
> some good things about the Alesis RA-150, which provides 2x 45 Watt at 4
> Ohms, that should be sufficient. On the other hand, a used Alesis RA-100
> provides a bit more power, and they are available in the used market for
> about half of the price of an RA-150.
>
> I would like a linear amp that does not really emphasize special
frequences
> like some HiFi amps do.

First, a minor correction, the RA-150 puts out 75W at 4 Ohms, 45W at 8.

At that power level I would definitely go with a hi-fi amp, otherwise you'll
end up spending $300 extra for a set of rack ears. There are several older
integrated amps from Creek, Arcam, and Cambridge that are very precise and
neutral in the 30-40W range (at 8 Ohms), shouldn't cost more than $150. You
should be looking for something with discrete components (independent
transistors and not an IC amp), and knowing Alesis I bet the RA-150 uses
IC's. Next, the power transformer and filter capacitors should be of
considerable size, the bigger the better.

For new inexpensive hi-fi amps I recommend Teac, a division of Tascam. The
AG-780 is a discrete 100W stereo receiver with appropriate balls in the
power supply to boot, sells for about $140. There's probably a similar 50W
model at a better price.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:47 PM

Get a Hafler XL-280. Readily available on eBay.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2004 9:56:48 PM

Go for a Hafler. You'll never regret it.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2004 4:03:31 AM

Okay, thanks everybody so far! Great and quick input here.

I've just checked about Hafler power amps, not very well known here in
Europe, but available. A bit expensive over here, not really available used
at our local ebay. Different Voltage required, so not a good idea to buy
overseas.

The hi-fi brands you mentioned ar rather unknown over here, as our brands
may be in your country.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Hafler 1500 one day. It seems I haven't been as
wrong as I thought when using my Pioneer hi-fi power amp so far. It allows
to switch between two pairs of speakers immedeately, and I've always been
quite happy with it sound-wise.

It's just that my wife asks for an amp for the living room, as the old one
doesn't fit anymore. Can't say no to a pretty woman... Got a reason to buy
new stuff on the other hand!

Juergen
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2004 6:20:49 PM

If in Europe I would go with a Quad I believe these hold as good of a
reputation as the ones mentioned in the Hi Fi division.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2004 12:17:25 AM

A Bryston 2B-LP

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2004 7:43:47 PM

Juergen Klotz wrote:

> I've just checked about Hafler power amps, not very well known here in
> Europe, but available. A bit expensive over here, not really available used
> at our local ebay. Different Voltage required, so not a good idea to buy
> overseas.
>
> The hi-fi brands you mentioned ar rather unknown over here, as our brands
> may be in your country.
>
> I'll keep my eyes open for a Hafler 1500 one day. It seems I haven't been as
> wrong as I thought when using my Pioneer hi-fi power amp so far. It allows
> to switch between two pairs of speakers immedeately, and I've always been
> quite happy with it sound-wise.

Raper and Wayman are the UK Hafler agents but I'm not sure about the
rest of Europe. I'd suggest looking for a Quad amp - they're not the
absolutely best sounding amp you can find but they're not bad.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 31, 2004 9:59:09 PM

"Scott Dorsey"
> Juergen Klotz
> >
> >I'm looking for a home studio power amp to drive my passive Tannoy
Reveals
> >(50 Watts/4 Ohms), maybe some additional NS-10 in the future. I have
heard
> >some good things about the Alesis RA-150, which provides 2x 45 Watt at 4
> >Ohms, that should be sufficient. On the other hand, a used Alesis RA-100
> >provides a bit more power, and they are available in the used market for
> >about half of the price of an RA-150.
>
> Both of these are very noxious amplifiers.

** The only thing that is " noxious " is Scott Dorseys audiophool
opinions.

Any time he can find an amp the measures well and yet sounds bad he can
make himself world famous.

No-one has yet done that - and certainly not Scott.

Alesis should sue the prick.

......... Phil
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 31, 2004 9:59:10 PM

In article <2n11qeFrbmv3U1@uni-berlin.de> philallison@tpg.com.au writes:

> Any time he can find an amp the measures well and yet sounds bad he can
> make himself world famous.
>
> No-one has yet done that - and certainly not Scott.

Alesis has - at least the way THEY measure it. And in fact they've
made themselves world famous.

a b C Monitor
August 1, 2004 3:47:24 AM

"Mike Rivers"

> Alesis has - at least the way THEY measure it. And in fact they've
> made themselves world famous.

** Mike Rivers makes less sense than Daffy Duck on Maryjane.

............. Phil
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2004 3:55:02 AM

Stephen Sank wrote:

> The Adcom GFA535/II/L is the best amp you'll find for less than 4 or 5 hundred bucks.
> And you can buy them almost any day of the week on ebay for $150-175usd. Even with shipping to
> Europe, it'd be a damned small investment for a great little amp. If memory serves, it's *two*
> power transformers(totally dual mono design), are quite well marked inside for conversion to
> 220-240V operation. I think the 535 is the best amp Adcom ever made, and I think it's a better
> sounding amp than any Hafler. It's rating is 60W/ch, but the actual power on my workbench
> measured 85w/ch into 8ohms, continous sinewave w/both channels equally driven. And it's really
> got balls.

Buy two and use them for passive biamping. Really sings on a pair of Maggies, BTW.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2004 10:17:22 AM

"Tim Padrick" <Padrick@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BYOdnUYS-KmV05bcRVn-og@comcast.com>...
> Find a Linn Powertek or Intek, or most anything Arcam. These will sound
> better than the Adcom for sure.

I'm not so sure how much these amps run, they might be easier to find
in Europe, where the OP lives.

Given the OP was looking at Alesis products, I suspect his budget is
tight, hence the Adcom suggestions.

If I can find one of these amps for under $200 and it's a lot better
than an Adcom, then I'd be very, very interested to check them out.

Analogeezer
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2004 11:08:59 PM

Having seen most of the electronics that Linn has ever made for under $5k retail, my opinion is
that they are quite mediocre in sound quality, and, relative to their prices, poor build
quality. Arcam hasn't made anything even that "good". The Adcom 535 has quite excellent sound
quality, it's built really well, extremely rarely needs even minor service, and it's dirt
cheap.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company

!