How-To: A quick guide to Win8 hot corners and what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quick guide for NEW windows 8 users who are not used to the Windows 8 hot corner system(the most confusing part being that this is how you shut down the computer.)

It is part toms is having a contest and part, general info for new users.

With the release of Windows 8, Microsoft has made some changes to the general operation of Windows 8. The biggest one being the removal of the start menu(all its features still exist within the new Start Screen more or less) and the new hot corners.

While at first this can seem confusing, once you get used to it, it is not too bad at all.

First is a quick description of the hot corners and how they work.

Please note this is mostly a re-post of an earlier post I had made for a user who was not sure HOW the hot corners would work before installing Windows 8.

First you have placing the mouse in the bottom right or top right of the screen then when you see the icons move the mouse towards them. On a tablet or touch screen you just swipe a finger from that side. The reveals the "charm bar".
In Metro(Win8 UI) programs, these menus work VERY well allowing you to search within the app it self or even on the computer. The settings icon is the location of the Shut down/volume(on the desktop you still have the speaker icon as well) and screen brightness on supported devices as well as your network status and notifications.
At first this can seem strange, but once you are used to it, it is not that bad IMO. In honestly, Most users will be using the search or shut down from this section.

Next you have the bottom Left corner of the screen.
This is used to swap from Desktop to metro. It has the same effect as hitting the START button on your keyboard(once on the desktop, it just jumps back and forth).

The left top lets you swap metro apps only if you keep clicking it, you will jump from app to app. If you have NO metro apps running, clicking this corner does nothing.

Now on the left side, if you move up from the bottom or down from the top, you will get a set of open metro apps so you can select on without swapping in order(This is kind of like an ALT+TAB for metro apps).

This is one of the most welcomed Windows 8 features IMO
Right click the bottom left corner you will get a menu of common tasks.
powerusermenu.png

You can also use keyboard shortcuts for most of these tricks(Start + C gives you charms without having to go over with the mouse. Gives a nice big clock to see the time as well :) ).

Click for larger images. I did not bother at full resolution because of wasted space(went as low as i could while still letting Metro apps work).

Now for the new user, It may seem strange to have a full screen start menu, but the general feature most users seem to use is the search. This feature still works just like always. Hit Start then type. It searching programs by default, but you can select other search options on the right side.
win8search.png

All images Uploaded with ImageShack.us

While Windows 8 is a "New" way to do things, most users thought the same thing about Windows 95 and its new start menu that required digging to fine programs. I am not going to say that I do not like having the start menu because I do. If they made the start screen semi-transparent and not full screen(When on the desktop), I think many users would have received it better.

As with anything new, change is harder for some then others. In the end, After using Windows 8 for over 6 months(6 months was just the developer preview). After some getting used to, it seems to meet the needs of most users just fine even if it is a bit different.

For a more complete article on Windows 8 read this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-review,3334.html

For users who pin lots of programs to the taskbar(or even have more programs open), Start + 1-9(this works in Win7 as well) will also open or switch to a program(based on its position from left to right) that is open.

This can be useful for users who play games and tend to use the start button(that now brings up the full screen START) to task switch(so START + 1 will get your browser if you have it open and pinned as the first icon on the taskbar).

If all this is NOT for you(You want your Win8 as 7 as it can be), check this guide by blazorthon
How-To: get a start menu and quick launch in Windows 8 & other tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.