Sign in with
Your question

How to change 64 bit windows 7 to 32 bit?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 19, 2012 7:49:15 PM

hi, got told my pc was a 64 bit, i installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, installed ok, it restarted then message comes up saying it cant load cos my pc is a 32bit, how can i change it

More about : change bit windows bit

April 19, 2012 7:56:31 PM

you wouldn't have been able to install a 64 bit version of windows if your PC weren't 64 bit capable, something else is the matter.
maybe you're trying to install 32 bit drivers? or you changes something in the BIOS/UEFI?
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:07:52 PM

it did installed then restarted to a black screen saying windows cant load 64 bit due to pc being 32 and with the memory tool diagnotics , i done scan and after it finish its still black screen with message,been to alot of sites telling me to do a fresh install of 32bit , will that help or buy a new pc
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 8:13:01 PM

i havent changed bios settings, nothing, i just put the disk in, let it install and this happens
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:15:48 PM

What are your PC specs?
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:16:09 PM

What processor is your computer using?

Only the processor matters for x64 vs x32.
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:16:47 PM

to check if your computer is even running a 64-bit OS go to Computer > system properties (where you see your WEI) it will tell you if you infact have a 64-bit OS installed,

being told you're running a 64-bit system isn't the same as knowing.
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:19:00 PM

if your computer isnt 64 bit compatible, i wouldnt waste time on windows 7 ultimate and i would get a new computer

i as assuming u got ultimate either really cheap or "free"
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:27:15 PM

Jim_L9 said:
What are your PC specs?

hi, pc is a ifriend pc that i got second hand its inter celeron 80gb hard drive 2 gb ram, like i said it restarted then it came up black screen saying my hardware been changed and it cant load win7 cos of it being 64bit version when pc is 32bit, i got told by the person i got it off it was a 64 bit pc, i cannot go any farer than memory tool dia when i done a extended scan, once it finished it took me back to the black screen, any ideas
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:28:45 PM

hwangchan said:
What processor is your computer using?

Only the processor matters for x64 vs x32.

inter celeron
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 8:30:18 PM

If your computer is newer than approximately 6 or 7 years old, you likely have something else going wrong.
If your PC is older than that (or built with older parts at the time you got it) then it is possible you're running a 32-bit processor.
If your computer has been working with the new windows 7, and just started giving you this error, then you probably have made a change or installed software that isn't compatible with 64bit perhaps?

So, where/when did you get this computer? If you know what it has in it, that would be even more helpful.

If you bought a retail box version of windows (it comes in a nice box, rather than just a cd case), I believe it has both versions of windows available, so it may give you the choice to install 32bit if you install it again.
If that isn't the case try taking the windows disk back where you bought it and see if they will let you trade it for the correct version.
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:32:11 PM

lealea1983uk said:
hi, pc is a ifriend pc that i got second hand its inter celeron 80gb hard drive 2 gb ram, like i said it restarted then it came up black screen saying my hardware been changed and it cant load win7 cos of it being 64bit version when pc is 32bit, i got told by the person i got it off it was a 64 bit pc, i cannot go any farer than memory tool dia when i done a extended scan, once it finished it took me back to the black screen, any ideas

you didn't install 64bit windows, you tried and it refused because it didn't meet 64bit requirement. installation takes more than 2 minutes, fyi.
you've got to go all the way back to prescott (circa 2005) to find 32bit only celerons. from the sounds of it you bought a 7+ year old junker (and the 80G HDD hints it's more in the 10+ year range). hope you didn't pay more than $150 for the thing.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2012 8:34:19 PM

depends WHICH celeron . some are 32 bit whereas some are 64 bit
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:36:07 PM

If I recall, most Intel celeron processor is not 64 bit processor.

You need 32bit version of windows to install windows on this PC.
m
l
April 20, 2012 12:04:18 PM

djscribbles said:
If your computer is newer than approximately 6 or 7 years old, you likely have something else going wrong.
If your PC is older than that (or built with older parts at the time you got it) then it is possible you're running a 32-bit processor.
If your computer has been working with the new windows 7, and just started giving you this error, then you probably have made a change or installed software that isn't compatible with 64bit perhaps?

So, where/when did you get this computer? If you know what it has in it, that would be even more helpful.

If you bought a retail box version of windows (it comes in a nice box, rather than just a cd case), I believe it has both versions of windows available, so it may give you the choice to install 32bit if you install it again.
If that isn't the case try taking the windows disk back where you bought it and see if they will let you trade it for the correct version.

the pc was windows xp , i brought win 7 from shop with act key and cos i got told it was a 64 bit, i install 64 bit, i cant use the disk for a clean 32bit install, it still comes up as memory tool dia and it cant load 64bit
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2012 12:13:25 PM

Because it's not 64 bit. Whoever said that was wrong. You need the 32 bit disc.

The 64 bit disc is for 64 bit only, not 32 bit. You need to take it back and get the right disc.
m
l
April 20, 2012 12:16:44 PM

You need a 32 bit install disc. You cannot install 64 bit on a 32 bit machine, the installer won't even run. There is literally no way you could have installed 64 bit windows on a 32 bit machine.

When you installed Windows, what exactly happened? The Windows install process takes more than an hour usually, requires several reboots and you'll have to interact with about half a dozen screens to tell it where to install, enter your product keys, etc.

If you didn't do any of that, you did not install Windows. Take the CD out of the drive and you'll probably just boot straight into XP again. From the sound of things, this computer is way too old to be running Windows 7 anyway. If you have less than 4GB of memory, things are going to be very, very slow.

I really hope you didn't pay much for this system, it sounds like a hunk of ***.
m
l
!