Sign in with
Your question

Wifi + VPN client : WDS routeur wifi + DDW-RT ?

Last response: in Networking
July 25, 2012 4:22:57 PM

Hi.

I'm looking for a device that can at the same time connect to a wifi signal and be an hardware OpenVPN client.

I haven't fount this as a wifi key.
So I thought why not a router.

What do I want?
- able to connect to any wifi signal
- able to get plugged by RJ45 / USB to a computer (no real need to dispatch a wifi signal, wire connection is fine).
- The device have to integrate an open VPN client (or any other VPN protocol). So I don't have to handle the VPN client on the computer. Any device compatible with DDWTR should do it.

What do you think about it ? Can a Linksys WRT54G do it ?
What I'm afraid of, is that connecting two routers together with the WDS function is supposed to work only if using the same chipset (atheros, broadcom, ralink)

Or maybe you know an other strange device that could match my requirements

Thanks.
July 25, 2012 4:35:02 PM

May a moderator change the title to "looking for a device : wifi receptor + VPN client" ?!
July 25, 2012 4:56:08 PM

Use a dd-wrt router and configure the WAN type as PPTP (OpenVPN won't work using this technique). Now plug the router into any other router and you have your PPTP connection.

[modem]<-- wire -->[router](lan)<-- wire -->(wan - pptp)[vpn router]

If you need a wireless WAN, simply add a wireless ethernet bridge.

[modem]<-- wire -->[router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-- wire -->(wan - pptp)[vpn router]
Related resources
July 26, 2012 8:13:07 AM

Hello, thanks for you input.
I don't really get the [router](lan) step.
Couldn't I just do:

[private wifi signal / hotspot] <-- wifi --> (wan - pptp)[vpn router] <-- wire --> my computer
July 26, 2012 12:07:49 PM

How do you propose to magically get from a wired WAN to a wireless WAN? That's the whole point of this effort. The wireless ethernet bridge is the “magic box” that makes it all possible, that solves the problem.
August 2, 2012 10:07:10 AM

I don't get it.
Could you name the devices I would need out of my computer?
I mean by taking real examples ?
August 2, 2012 2:56:04 PM

It's always possible that you and I are not on the same page as to what you're trying to accomplish. So let me state what I *think* you're trying to do, then you tell me where I’m right or wrong.

You want a device to which you can connect any wired device(s) (e.g., PC, MAC, server, smart TV, whatever) and which supports a VPN client of its own and automatically routes to a VPN server, thus eliminating the need for those individual wired devices to manage their own VPN client(s).

Those exist today. You can use dd-wrt or buy such a device off the shelf. Even wireless clients can participate. So that part is a non-issue.

So what remains? That idea of using the router suggests that this device would be limited to a wired connection from the VPN client to the VPN server. After all, the VPN client is routed over the WAN, and the WAN is only wired, right? So what to do?

<-- wire-only ??? -->(wan)[router w/ vpn client]

That’s the point of the wireless ethernet bridge. We take that router, with its VPN client, and the wired devices behind it, and add a wireless ethernet bridge to the WAN to convert that WAN from wire to wireless.

<-- wireless !!! -->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router w/ vpn client]

I’ve cleaned up the diagram to its bare essentials to make the point. Everything in BOLD is what you normally would NOT have using a standard router. We’re ADDING wireless capability where none existed previously between the VPN client and (ultimately) VPN server.

Of course, it's possible I'm completely off course here, and if so, you need to get me back on course (of course).
March 17, 2013 3:40:37 AM

eibgrad said:
It's always possible that you and I are not on the same page as to what you're trying to accomplish. So let me state what I *think* you're trying to do, then you tell me where I’m right or wrong.

You want a device to which you can connect any wired device(s) (e.g., PC, MAC, server, smart TV, whatever) and which supports a VPN client of its own and automatically routes to a VPN server, thus eliminating the need for those individual wired devices to manage their own VPN client(s).

Those exist today. You can use dd-wrt or buy such a device off the shelf. Even wireless clients can participate. So that part is a non-issue.

So what remains? That idea of using the router suggests that this device would be limited to a wired connection from the VPN client to the VPN server. After all, the VPN client is routed over the WAN, and the WAN is only wired, right? So what to do?

<-- wire-only ??? -->(wan)[router w/ vpn client]

That’s the point of the wireless ethernet bridge. We take that router, with its VPN client, and the wired devices behind it, and add a wireless ethernet bridge to the WAN to convert that WAN from wire to wireless.

<-- wireless !!! -->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router w/ vpn client]

I’ve cleaned up the diagram to its bare essentials to make the point. Everything in BOLD is what you normally would NOT have using a standard router. We’re ADDING wireless capability where none existed previously between the VPN client and (ultimately) VPN server.

Of course, it's possible I'm completely off course here, and if so, you need to get me back on course (of course).

Hi,
I know this post is quite old but still hoping to find some answers. I am trying to do the same:
[modem]<-- wire -->[router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-- wire -->(wan - pptp)[vpn router]

But if I understand, this configuration requires a total of 3 devices: [router], [wireless ethernet bridge], and [vpn router]. I was hoping I could eliminate the need for one of the devices by combining the [wireless ethernet bridge] and the [vpn router]. That is, to have a device that acts at the same time as a wireless bridge AND a VPN client. Ideally, that would be achieved by setting the wireless mode as "Client bridge", and then configuring the WAN connection as a PPTP client.

Unfortunately, when I set up a DD-WRT router in Wireless Bridge mode, the WAN configuration tab becomes disabled, which prevents me from also using that same device as a VPN client. Any ideas on how to re-enable the WAN configuration mode?
Thanks!
March 17, 2013 5:27:09 AM

What you are asking for is a ROUTER that uses the 802.11 wireless connection for the WAN port. This is similar to how a cell broadband router works but in that case you are using wireless to a cell tower rather than a 802.11 device.

There may be a device like that on the market but I don't know of one. A bridge by definition only converts from one media type to another it is a layer 2 device it has no concept of IP addresses even. This is why setting it to bridge mode disables all the ip settings.

I would suspect dd-wrt is your best bet if it has the option to assign the wireless to the WAN, it may also depends on the hardware so even if it dd-wrt has that feature it may not work on all hardware platforms. Maybe a question to ask on the dd-wrt forums. I suspect someone has written this option even if it is not in the official releases you would just have to build your own image of dd-wrt.
!