nyifan

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Someone please help me. I am having a problem with my new hard drive I installed. I recently installed a 100 gig hard drive, and partitoned it to 3 drives. I was using it with no problems, but when I tried to install a new operating system on my computer, something went wrong. I had to reinstall my original operating system, now the operating system is only seeing the old hard drive and is telling me I need to format and partition my new hard drive again. I don't want to do this because I have data on it that I didn't back up(DUMB, I know). I have windows ME as the operating system and had it when I installed the new hard drive. I tried to upgrade to windows XP when my problem occurred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Where are your data ? What partition did you use to store data?
To install a new operating system in a clean installation, you only need to format (preferably using FAT32) the primary partition. You don't need to partition or format again the entire disk.

the last is in the past

nyifan

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for replying. I had partitioned the 100gig to three different drives D, F and G. I had information on both D and F. Are you saying that if I do a clean install with the new operating systmem, It should be able to see the data? I'm kind of confused. Why is my old operating system windows ME not seeing the partition and data on the hard drive?