Can't Access Base w/ Security Enabled

After setting up my networking system I find that I can
access my Base Computer from my laptop with the wireless
adapter as long as I have security "Disabled". I cannot
access the Base Computer from my wireless laptop when the
security is in "Enabled" mode. I don't want to operate my
base computer in Disabled security mode. What can I do.
I am a novice to techno-jargon.
2 answers Last reply
More about access base security enabled

    What "security" do you have enabled? If it is a third-party program like
    ZoneAlarm, then you need to adjust the settings within that program to allow
    Local Area Network (LAN) traffic. If it is the Internet Connection
    Firewall, currently you'll need to turn that off. With Microsoft's
    Broadband Networking base stations, you're running a hardware firewall
    anyway, so don't really need ICF on. The up-coming Windows XP Service Pack
    2 will allow for LAN traffic automatically, so you can run the firewall for
    extra protection.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "MPL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After setting up my networking system I find that I can
    > access my Base Computer from my laptop with the wireless
    > adapter as long as I have security "Disabled". I cannot
    > access the Base Computer from my wireless laptop when the
    > security is in "Enabled" mode. I don't want to operate my
    > base computer in Disabled security mode. What can I do.
    > I am a novice to techno-jargon.

    If you are using a MN500 with WEP, the security is a bit
    faulty, so you may want to keep the laptop and desktop
    firewalls on (ICF). You need to set a VPN however to get
    through the firewall. If you are using XP on both
    computers this is easy. Go to network wizard on both
    computers, and set the desktop as a VPN server and the
    laptop as VPN client (you can also add the reverse if you
    plan to access the laptop from the desktop).

    On XP Home you can only use PPTP for VPN server.

    The inconvenient of using a VPN is that you need to
    connect it before being able to access the desktop (it
    appears under Start/Connect To...). The added benefit is
    that by opening TCP port 1723 you can even safely access
    your desktop from your laptop even when you are traveling
    (or at office).

Routers Wireless Laptops Security Computers Networking