Sign in with
Your question

I can't get Windows 7 to install

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 19, 2012 11:23:47 PM

I have built my own computer and I have a ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, an Asus GT440 graphics card and a Corsair 120gb SSD. I'm trying to get win 7 to install on this brand new SSD. No other drives connected. The BIOS which has been flashed and is up to date finds both the DVD drive and the SSD. I've set boot priority to the DVD drive and I keep getting this MSG........

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem insert windows disc, reboot etc etc

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I tea lly don't know what to do next. Please please help me someone.

More about : windows install

April 19, 2012 11:40:08 PM

Can't find the link that explains the problem like mine. How can I access windows options when it won't install? It doesn't ven give mea repair option. Widows 7 fails to start to load.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 11:46:11 PM

Jaymo1978 said:
I have built my own computer and I have a ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, an Asus GT440 graphics card and a Corsair 120gb SSD. I'm trying to get win 7 to install on this brand new SSD. No other drives connected. The BIOS which has been flashed and is up to date finds both the DVD drive and the SSD. I've set boot priority to the DVD drive and I keep getting this MSG........

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem insert windows disc, reboot etc etc

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I tea lly don't know what to do next. Please please help me someone.

You may have to set up the drive first......Partition, format and initialise..... have you done that? when you try booting, with the windows 7 cd in the drive, do you see the option to load windows by pushing any key? I have had to go into a bios a few times and disable all of the drives, except the cd rom. yes, that means disable all the drives that you see in the boot up area of your bios. that way, Windows is forced to boot fromt he cd rom. because, it's all that is left. I have been successful with that more than once. Hope this helps.
m
l
April 19, 2012 11:46:32 PM

I know this may sound crazy, but did you double check to make sure the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot drive (I've done this before myself)? Also, most motherboards have a key you can press during Post that will let you select the boot device, have you tried that?

Is the Windows DVD a retail DVD?

m
l
April 19, 2012 11:54:47 PM

The only drives attached are the DVD drive and the SSD. I cant partition or frmat the SSD until windos isinstalled. Boot priority is definately set to the DVD drive. My Win 7 Pro is original and retail and not a copy. It says "to load windows, push any key" the prompt flashes for about 10 seconds and then the error MSG above comes up.
m
l
April 19, 2012 11:55:17 PM

also, sometimes when more than one optical drive is installed, you may have the disc in one and trying to boot from another. Not sure if this is the case.
m
l
April 19, 2012 11:59:02 PM

Only 1 optical drive and the SSd attached. Nothing else
m
l
!