Alternatives to Jewel Cases and digipaks..

Last response: in Home Audio
July 29, 2004 5:25:00 PM

I'm putting out a cd, and I want to make the packaging unique as it's a very
limited release. I don't want to use the regular Jewel Case or digipak
approach. Any other suggestions besides slip covers? Am I crazy, or aren't
there small, cardboard cd boxes available somewhere? That would be perfect.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 5:25:01 PM

Doc Gorpon wrote:

> I'm putting out a cd, and I want to make the packaging unique as it's a very
> limited release. I don't want to use the regular Jewel Case or digipak
> approach. Any other suggestions besides slip covers?

<http://univenture.com/&gt; has a fair number of flavors.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 5:25:01 PM

In article <20040729092500.03945.00000538@mb-m17.aol.com> docgorpon@aol.com writes:

> I don't want to use the regular Jewel Case or digipak
> approach. Any other suggestions besides slip covers? Am I crazy, or aren't
> there small, cardboard cd boxes available somewhere? That would be perfect.

There are CD mailing envelopes and stiff boxes (check your local Office
Depot) if that's what you want. I remember the "environmentally
friendly" all cardboard CD packages with no plastic that are probably
still available, but the only place I've seen them offered is from CD
duplicators like Oasis (who pushes the Digipak or Diskmakers.

July 29, 2004 6:00:05 PM

>From: docgorpon@aol.com (Doc Gorpon)

>I'm putting out a cd, and I want to make the packaging unique as it's a very
>limited release. I don't want to use the regular Jewel Case or digipak
>approach. Any other suggestions besides slip covers? Am I crazy, or aren't
>there small, cardboard cd boxes available somewhere? That would be perfect.

The last "mega free hours" mailout we got from AOL, the disc came in a wooden
box, close to jewel case size. Sorry, no idea of maker or source. Out there
somewhere. --TP
July 29, 2004 9:37:46 PM

>I'm putting out a cd, and I want to make the packaging unique as it's a very
>limited release. I don't want to use the regular Jewel Case or digipak
>approach. Any other suggestions besides slip covers? Am I crazy, or aren't
>there small, cardboard cd boxes available somewhere? That would be perfect.

Just look for "custom cd box" or jewelboxes with Google..

Ciao,
Pietro
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:37:47 PM

Speaking as a person who does radio...if you put it out in anything thinner
than a jewel box, you drastically reduce your chances for radio airplay, as
it will be invisible on the shelf.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:37:48 PM

In article <bE9Oc.348027$Gx4.317432@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Paul Stamler <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>Speaking as a person who does radio...if you put it out in anything thinner
>than a jewel box, you drastically reduce your chances for radio airplay, as
>it will be invisible on the shelf.

So, does the double-width box do better than the single-width box with two
CDs in it?

I did a 2-disc set recently, and the double-width box would only have been
a couple hundred bucks more on the run, but after asking folks, they seemed
to dislike the double-width box because they don't fit into some CD cases
and because they take up more space on the retail shelf. But I figure
they catch the eye a little bit better.
--scott
July 29, 2004 9:37:49 PM

I'm definitely not expecting any airplay with this. But regardless, one of the
internet stores that I plan to distribute through requires a spine for a label
for the same reason. My initial plan was to just package in a plastic slip
case. But since they need a spine, I was thinking of just packaging in a
cardboard gift type of box if I can find one. Then they get their spine and I
can put a bunch of extra stuff like stickers in there. I would like a cardboard
box that sort of the same dimensions of a regular jewel case.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:42:25 PM

<< Then they get their spine and I
can put a bunch of extra stuff like stickers in there. >>

If you are selling over the internet it would seem that the packaging isn't as
important as it would be in brick and mortar.

---------------------------------------
July 29, 2004 11:47:49 PM

>If you are selling over the internet it would seem that the packaging isn't
>as
>important as it would be in brick and mortar.

True. But I'm not trying to break any soundscan records. I have a decent
following with my other two bands. And this is somewhat of a "fan club" type
thing. So the packaging is part of the limited edition thing. Not really a
selling point.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:58:47 PM

<< True. But I'm not trying to break any soundscan records. I have a decent
following with my other two bands. And this is somewhat of a "fan club" type
thing. So the packaging is part of the limited edition thing. Not really a
selling point. >>

Understood.

I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big alterna/indie
label and they were saying they don't believe the buyers care about art work
anymore. They either put the CD in a multi CD wallet thing or in a CD changer
and dump the case and artwork.

Food for thought anyway.

---------------------------------------
July 29, 2004 11:58:48 PM

EggHd wrote:

> I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big
> alterna/indie label and they were saying they don't believe the buyers
> care about art work
> anymore. They either put the CD in a multi CD wallet thing or in a CD
> changer and dump the case and artwork.

Makes sense, really. Personally, I keep all my CDs in their jewel cases,
but mainly out of habit. I guess I'm just old & set in my ways ( & maybe
just a little bit obsessive/compulsive? ). Then again, I do own upwards of
500 of the little bastards, & although they'd probably take up a lot less
space in CD wallets, I'd have a hell of a time find the one I wanted if
they ever got just slightly out of alphabetical order.

But when you think about it, artwork that was really impressive at 12-1/4"
really loses most of it's impact at 4-3/4".

And, of course, you can't clean your dope on a CD jewel case either.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:42:46 AM

docgorpon@aol.com (Doc Gorpon) wrote:

> Am I crazy, or aren't
> there small, cardboard cd boxes available somewhere? That would be perfect.

You're not crazy. Calumet Carton has--or at least used to have--little
kraft paper (70% recycled) CD gatefolds. They probably still do, but
damned if I can find it on their new site. Use their contact
form--they're happy to send out samples.

http://www.calumetcarton.com/

The late, lamented Fireproof Press used to do beautiful letterpress
printing on these.

HTH,

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:44:24 AM

EggHd wrote:

> I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big alterna/indie
> label and they were saying they don't believe the buyers care about art work
> anymore. They either put the CD in a multi CD wallet thing or in a CD changer
> and dump the case and artwork.

> Food for thought anyway.

I know a guy with a multidisc changer who has put all the CD artwork in
a multi-wallet thing. Pretty cool way to have your cake and eat it, too.

--
ha
Anonymous

<< I know a guy with a multidisc changer who has put all the CD artwork in
a multi-wallet thing. Pretty cool way to have your cake and eat it, too. >>

A good way to send projects over seas and save money. Putr the CD and artwork
in a paper sleve

---------------------------------------
July 30, 2004 4:53:51 AM

>Makes sense, really. Personally, I keep all my CDs in their jewel cases,
>but mainly out of habit.

I do the same thing. I've had numerous debates managers and labels as to
whether anyone give's a rat's ass about artwork anymore. I think the consensus
is that it doesn't sell records, or stop them from selling. But it does get
noticed if you have particularly bad cover art. My last album had boring
artwork, and it got mentioned in a couple of reviews.
I got this idea from when I used to collect vinyl from obscure punk bands. I
remember getting a 7" from a band that was packaged like a 12" inside of a
plastic bag. It had a silk-screened cover, and a seperate lyric sheet, and a
bunch of brochure's from different organizations. As well as some stickers. I
thought it was the bee's knees. I'm just trying to do something similar to
that. For fun mostly. If I make a couple hundred bucks, that'd be fine too. But
it's not the main objective.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 6:06:52 AM

<< But it does get
noticed if you have particularly bad cover art. >>

I agree it has to jump off the shlf.

---------------------------------------
July 30, 2004 10:25:33 AM

In article <20040729154749.05881.00002877@mb-m05.aol.com> docgorpon@aol.com writes:

> this is somewhat of a "fan club" type
> thing. So the packaging is part of the limited edition thing. Not really a
> selling point.

I'm confused, and maybe others are too. Are you looking for some
really cool packaging for this limited release, or are you looking
for the cheapest way you can protect the CD through the mail? Or
something else? I'm getting both messages from your postings.

July 30, 2004 3:27:52 PM

In article <20040729205351.02800.00000816@mb-m04.aol.com> docgorpon@aol.com writes:

> I've had numerous debates managers and labels as to
> whether anyone give's a rat's ass about artwork anymore. I think the consensus
> is that it doesn't sell records, or stop them from selling. But it does get
> noticed if you have particularly bad cover art.

It depends on how it's being sold. If I see an amateur package, it
tells me that the artist doesn't care enough to do a good job with the
part that shows, so maybe he didn't do a good job with the part that I
won't know about until I take it home and play it. I'm not likely to
buy.

While you can't judge a book by its cover, some of us decide to buy or
not based on the impression that the cover gives about the likely
quality of what's inside.

July 30, 2004 3:41:19 PM

Related question: anyone know of a place to get (in the States) those
gauze CD sleeves that Japanese CDs sometimes come in? (Like: CD
packaging is cardboard, and within that, the CD is inside a gauze
sleeve)

Peece,
T. Tauri
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:09:49 PM

T. Tauri <ease@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Related question: anyone know of a place to get (in the States) those
>gauze CD sleeves that Japanese CDs sometimes come in? (Like: CD
>packaging is cardboard, and within that, the CD is inside a gauze
>sleeve)

You _might_ try asking Acoustic Sounds in Salinas, Kansas. They have
some sources for the Asian LP packaging material and their guys might
know about the CD stuff as well.
--scott
July 30, 2004 5:14:15 PM

>I'm confused, and maybe others are too. Are you looking for some
>really cool packaging for this limited release, or are you looking
>for the cheapest way you can protect the CD through the mail? Or
>something else? I'm getting both messages from your postings.

The main objective is cool packaging. I know there are a ton of textured jewel
cases and such out there. But the reason a box would be cool for me is because
I plan on putting more stuff inside. The box would be part of the packaging.
Not a means of mailing the cd. The fact that it would possibly be cheaper than
a jewel case is simply a plus.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:14:16 PM

On 30 Jul 2004 13:14:15 GMT, docgorpon@aol.com (Doc Gorpon) wrote:

>>I'm confused, and maybe others are too. Are you looking for some
>>really cool packaging for this limited release, or are you looking
>>for the cheapest way you can protect the CD through the mail? Or
>>something else? I'm getting both messages from your postings.
>
>The main objective is cool packaging. I know there are a ton of textured jewel
>cases and such out there. But the reason a box would be cool for me is because
>I plan on putting more stuff inside. The box would be part of the packaging.
>Not a means of mailing the cd. The fact that it would possibly be cheaper than
>a jewel case is simply a plus.

Sheri Kling's CD case is a printed cardboard front-and-back
wraparound around a traditional plastic CD tray, and the front side
has a pocket inside with a lyrics booklet. It looks realy nice (it
should easily pass Mike's test of being a professional-looking
package), and [how's this for an off-topic comment?] I like the music
too. Unfortunately you can't see how it folds out on the website, you
can only see the front cover.

http://sherikling.com

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 11:37:20 AM

"Doc Gorpon" <docgorpon@aol.com> wrote in message

> I do the same thing. I've had numerous debates managers and labels
as to
> whether anyone give's a rat's ass about artwork anymore. I think the
consensus
> is that it doesn't sell records, or stop them from selling. But it
does get
> noticed if you have particularly bad cover art. My last album had
boring
> artwork, and it got mentioned in a couple of reviews.
> I got this idea from when I used to collect vinyl from obscure punk
bands. I
> remember getting a 7" from a band that was packaged like a 12" inside
of a
> plastic bag. It had a silk-screened cover, and a seperate lyric sheet,
and a
> bunch of brochure's from different organizations. As well as some
stickers. I
> thought it was the bee's knees. I'm just trying to do something
similar to
> that. For fun mostly. If I make a couple hundred bucks, that'd be fine
too. But
> it's not the main objective.

I developed a grumpy habit when I turned thirty-ten... I started
refusing to buy CDs that I have to struggle to read the font. I *hate*
having to squint and decode to see whose disc I'm holding. I now just
throw them on the floor and walk away in disgust.

Bah.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:31:07 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> T. Tauri <ease@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >Related question: anyone know of a place to get (in the
> >States) those gauze CD sleeves that Japanese CDs
> >sometimes come in? (Like: CD packaging is cardboard, and
> >within that, the CD is inside a gauze sleeve)
>
> You _might_ try asking Acoustic Sounds in Salinas, Kansas.
> They have some sources for the Asian LP packaging material
> and their guys might know about the CD stuff as well.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:26:47 AM

"EggHd" <egghd@aol.com> wrote in message
> I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big
alterna/indie
> label and they were saying they don't believe the buyers care about art
work
> anymore. They either put the CD in a multi CD wallet thing or in a CD
changer
> and dump the case and artwork.

This is really a statement about how bad most recent artwork has been.
Everybody forgets the critical role that artwork played in getting people to
begin buying albums rather than just singles.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Bob Olhsson <olh@hyperback.com> wrote:
>"EggHd" <egghd@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big
>alterna/indie
>> label and they were saying they don't believe the buyers care about art
>work
>> anymore. They either put the CD in a multi CD wallet thing or in a CD
>changer
>> and dump the case and artwork.
>
>This is really a statement about how bad most recent artwork has been.
>Everybody forgets the critical role that artwork played in getting people to
>begin buying albums rather than just singles.

The problem is that the CD case is so small that the artwork just does not
jump out at you like it used to. I think that was the one advantage of the
longbox, that it provided space for some artwork that grabbed your attention.
Even a 45 provides more space, though.

Also, I think a lot of people are buying over the internet rather than
browsing through bins at record stores. The ones that _are_ browsing
through bins are not apt to pick up an album at current prices unless they
have heard something about it, so elaborate artwork that catches the eye
isn't going to lead to all that many spontaneous sales.

That said, the actual cost of good album artwork and printing isn't really
all that much, and even if it leads to only a slight number of additional
sales, it's still profitable I think. If I were an Indy label trying to
compete with bootlegged MP3 versions of my own album, I'd consider it even
more important.
--scott
August 18, 2004 8:47:06 PM

>I was speaking with a friend who is head of marketing for a big
>alterna/indie label and they were saying they don't believe the
>buyers care about art work anymore.

One important group that cares a lot about have a label on the spine
of whatever package you use are the people who book clubs /
festivals and still want a hard copy CD. It drives those people
crazy when they can't find your CD in the big pile of junk that they
get everyday...

ymmv

dave
!