Instrumentation on "Wouldn't It Be Nice"??

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 29, 2004 1:19:51 PM

My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?

More about : instrumentation nice

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:36:40 PM

Hmmmmm..........Mellotron and French horn? Just a guess.

"JMS" <Onajemusic1@aol.com> wrote in message
> My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:53:13 PM

Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?

"Animix" <animix_spamless_@animas.net> wrote in message
> Hmmmmm..........Mellotron and French horn? Just a guess.
>

> "JMS" <Onajemusic1@aol.com> wrote in message
> > My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> > the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> > I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> > Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 6:08:30 PM

Animix wrote:

> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?

No.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 6:09:28 PM

JMS wrote:

> My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?

I believe it's a "section" of guitars.

Check out the "Pet Sounds" Box Set.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 8:39:49 PM

"Animix" <animix_spamless_@animas.net> wrote in message news:<ceb9hn025l1@enews2.newsguy.com>...
> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?
>
> "Animix" <animix_spamless_@animas.net> wrote in message
> > Hmmmmm..........Mellotron and French horn? Just a guess.

Ha ha. Mellotron, french horn, synclavier? You're way off man, it
was obviously a DX7!

Seriously though I would have voted for harp but the "section of
guitars" idea sounds plausible.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:00:44 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
<dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

>Animix wrote:
>
>> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?
>

>No.

No Mellotrons either.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:28:20 AM

Onajemusic1@aol.com (JMS) wrote in message news:<acfc943a.0407290819.29a3cdb5@posting.google.com>...
> My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?

'Twas a ukulele.

And basically, the intro was a double-time of what was to transpire in
the middle part of the song ("maybe iiff we think and wish and hope
and pray, it might come true, ....").

Not sure if it was a real koa wood uke or not.

JF
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 6:59:22 AM

On Jul 29, 2004, JMS <Onajemusic1@aol.com> commented:

> My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

I believe it's a circus calliope-type organ that opens up this track, not a
stringed instrument at all. There's also some double-accordion here and
there that was arranged in a way to resemble strings, but those are
definitely keyboards.

This is all discussed at length in the book

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE:
Brian Wilson and the Making of The Beach Boys' PET SOUNDS
by Charles L. Granata
published by Chicago Review Press (2003)
ISBN #1556525079

which goes into infinite detail on this song and many others on the album.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:35:16 AM

"playon" <playonATcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >Animix wrote:
> >
> >> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in
66?

> >No.
>
> No Mellotrons either.

Yeah, they did. They used them on "Penny Lane", which was recorded in, I
believe, the fall of '66. Before that, I think they were used to generate
laugh tracks for sitcoms (really).

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:35:17 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:35:16 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>"playon" <playonATcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
>> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

>66?
>> >

>> >No.
>>
>> No Mellotrons either.
>
>Yeah, they did. They used them on "Penny Lane", which was recorded in, I
>believe, the fall of '66. Before that, I think they were used to generate
>laugh tracks for sitcoms (really).

Penny Lane was released in '67, maybe recorded in '66, at any rate
they didn't have one in the states yet.

Al
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 11:56:11 AM

playon wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Animix wrote:
>>

>>>Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?
>>

>>No.
>

> No Mellotrons either.

Are you sure about that? "Days Of Future Passed" came along in 1967.
July 30, 2004 12:20:09 PM

Wow! Lots of interesting concepts.
My buddy did mention the Uke.

The idea of the Giutar section with the Vox Mandoguitar sounds
possible.
People have mentioned the box set and books. Does either specifically
address the instrumentation?
There seems to be a varied idea based on these rec.audio.pro

> > My buddy and I are discussing the stringed instrument that opens up
> > the Beach Boys classic "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
> > I think it's a harp. He disagrees.
> > Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?
>

> 'Twas a ukulele.
>
> And basically, the intro was a double-time of what was to transpire in
> the middle part of the song ("maybe iiff we think and wish and hope
> and pray, it might come true, ....").
>

> Not sure if it was a real koa wood uke or not.
>

> JF
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:27:15 PM

In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
<dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:

>Animix wrote:
>
>> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?

I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is how Brian
Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would consider to be)
improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani etc. He was getting
sounds that would, in later decades, be accessable mainly via synthesizers.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:46:25 PM

Paul played a Mellotron on Strawberry Fields Forever :

Fascinating read about the recording here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/strawberry-fie...

<snip>

"Take 7 is a mixdown from take 6. Take 6 was recorded Nov 29 1966. Lewisohn
says they started with a rhythm track, i.e. instruments with no vocals. To
this they added unspecified instrumental overdubs and a vocal track. Take 6
appears on a bootleg CD, "Unsurpassed Masters" (UM) volume 3, in which we
hear a mix as follows: LEFT, mellotron (Paul), drums (Ringo), occasional
guitar (John?), bass (Paul); CENTER, vocal (John); RIGHT, lead guitar
(George)."

Regards,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO

"playon" <playonATcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >Animix wrote:
> >
> >> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in
66?

> >No.
>
> No Mellotrons either.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:29:32 PM

Sounds like a very-out-of-tune Fender Electric 12-string or
Mandoguitar to me...

The box set has a great pic of Barney Kessel playing a Gibson Custom
10-string A-model with F-holes mandolin...
Cool shot.

Bruce
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:29:32 PM

Sounds like a very-out-of-tune Fender Electric 12-string or
Mandoguitar to me...

The box set has a great pic of Barney Kessel playing a Gibson Custom
10-string A-model with F-holes mandolin...
Cool shot.

Bruce
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:53:20 PM

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message news:<E_lOc.154099$OB3.86520@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> "playon" <playonATcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
> > <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

> 66?
> > >

> > >No.
> >
> > No Mellotrons either.
>
> Yeah, they did. They used them on "Penny Lane", which was recorded in, I
> believe, the fall of '66. Before that, I think they were used to generate
> laugh tracks for sitcoms (really).
>
> Peace,
> Paul

It was actually "Strawberry Fields Forever", but we knew what you
meant. Recorded in November and December of '66. But mellotrons were
around long before that, as others have pointed out.

As far as i can recall, a mellotron was used on the "Wild Honey"
album, but definately not on "Pet Sounds".

Both mandolins and ukulele were used in the song "Wouldn't It Be
Nice", and both were listed in the quite large line-up of instruments
used on that album.

Folks, it was a uke for the intro. There is no double course
instrument that can ring that clear. It was a ukulele. The mandolins
were used as rhythm instruments, e.g., the 'chunka, chunka,...'
*ritardando* after the middle section, and as the tremelo melody
during the "you know it seems the more we talk about it..." near the
end of the song.

Brian Wilson did use a harp (and harpsichord) on pretty much every
album since mid-'64,(well OK, mid/late '63 for the harp on "In My
Room") but i can't hear anywhere else on "Pet Sounds" were a ukulele
might have been used.

Then again, with all that bouncing, what do i know?

JF
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:00:44 PM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:56:11 -0400, Jim Gilliland
<usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote:

>playon wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:30 -0400, Don Cooper
>> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>No.
>>

>> No Mellotrons either.
>
>Are you sure about that? "Days Of Future Passed" came along in 1967.

Pretty good history of the origins of the Mellotron here:

http://www.mellotron.com/history.htm

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:00:45 PM

Don Pearce wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:56:11 -0400, Jim Gilliland
> <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote:
>

>>playon wrote:
>>>
>>>No Mellotrons either.
>>
>>Are you sure about that? "Days Of Future Passed" came along in 1967.

> Pretty good history of the origins of the Mellotron here:
>
> http://www.mellotron.com/history.htm

Interesting stuff - I didn't know that much about the history of the
instrument. I remember Mike Pinder opening it up for me and showing me
the internals at a concert here back in the fall of 1968. (WHK
Ballroom, Cleveland).
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:25:50 PM

in article _c-dnY2BrL71qpfcRVn-vw@adelphia.com, Jim Gilliland at
usemylastname@cheerful.com wrote on 7/30/04 7:56 AM:

>> No Mellotrons either.
>
> Are you sure about that? "Days Of Future Passed" came along in 1967.

Mellotrons don't work very well for plucked or struck sounds.
Wouldn't it be Nice was tracked January 1966.

I agree with Guido - Vox Mandoguitar & Fender electric mandolin.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:25:51 PM

umbriaco wrote:

> in article _c-dnY2BrL71qpfcRVn-vw@adelphia.com, Jim Gilliland at
> usemylastname@cheerful.com wrote on 7/30/04 7:56 AM:
>
>>>No Mellotrons either.
>>
>>Are you sure about that? "Days Of Future Passed" came along in 1967.
>
> Mellotrons don't work very well for plucked or struck sounds.
> Wouldn't it be Nice was tracked January 1966.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it had been used on "Wouldn't It Be
Nice". It's pretty obvious that that wasn't a Mellotron. I just
questioned that it hadn't been around in 1966.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:51:04 PM

> Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?

If I remember right from the Granata book on Pet Sounds (referred to
in another post), it's Billy Strange on a "detuned" guitar all by
himself.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 4:20:06 AM

garthrr@aol.com (Garth) wrote in message news:<20040730042715.22164.00000083@mb-m05.aol.com>...
> In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:
>
> >Animix wrote:
> >
> >> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back in 66?
> >

> I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is how Brian
> Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would consider to be)
> improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani etc. He was getting
> sounds that would, in later decades, be accessable mainly via synthesizers.
>
> Garth~

Thank goodness that Moog synthesizers were so rare in that day. Brian
Wilson was doing the accoustical version of that long before "Pet
Sounds".

He would so often 'ride' something on top of Carol Kaye's Fender bass
track, e.g. The opening to the song "Dance, Dance, Dance" was actually
an exception, where the plucked upright bass was incorporated, as
distinct from the electric bass there.

But otherwise, he would so often use horns, or bass saxes, or piano,
or harpsichord, note-for-note, to augment the bass line.

I used to think that the Beach Boys music had a bigger bass sound just
because it was louder. I learned later that the double low saxes in
"She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" or the horns also following
the bass line in "Here Today" on 'Pet Sounds' was such a big part of
that huge sound. (not to forget the harpsichord, changing the flavor
of the bass, yet again, near the end of that song)

I'm not even going to go into how some 20-23 year old who wrote only
simple popular tunes, with no musical theory training whatsoever,
could come up with 13'th chord harmony vocals and melodic, non-tonic
related bass lines.

It wobbles the mind.

JF
July 31, 2004 11:22:52 AM

> > Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was used?
>
> If I remember right from the Granata book on Pet Sounds (referred to
> in another post), it's Billy Strange on a "detuned" guitar all by
> himself.

I just went to to Billy's website and left the question at his forum.
It certainly sounds like a fretted instrument to me. The "detuned"
guitar seems most likely.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 1:06:37 PM

I was lucky enough to interview Brian Wilson for the Illinois Entertainer when
his "Imagination" album came out, and I asked him this very question. He said
it was two guitars, one of which was a Fender Mustang.

Matt
August 1, 2004 1:51:47 AM

Onajemvsic1@aol.com (JMS) wrote in message news:<acfc943a.0407310622.34cafaf6@posting.google.com>...
> > > Any die hard Beach Boys fans know what was vsed?
> >
> > If I remember right from the Granata book on Pet Sovnds (referred to
> > in another post), it's Billy Strange on a "detvned" gvitar all by
> > himself.
>

> I jvst went to to Billy's website and left the qvestion at his forvm.
> It certainly sovnds like a fretted instrvment to me. The "detvned"
> gvitar seems most likely.

Compliments of Carol Kaye via Rvss Wapensky:

Billy Strange and Jerry Cole on elec. 12-strings, here's Rvss
Wapensky's email that jvst came in (and he's qvoting from the Local 47
Recording Contracts which he alone has a data-base on - ovtside of the
Union)...

It was Billy Strange and Jerry Cole on electric 12s.
Rvss<<<<
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:28:18 PM

Garth wrote:
> In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Animix wrote:
>>
>>> Oops........maybe Synclavier? Did they even have Synclavier's back
>>> in 66?
>>

> I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is
> how Brian Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would
> consider to be) improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani
> etc. He was getting sounds that would, in later decades, be
> accessable mainly via synthesizers.

But did he even know he was doing it ?

geoff
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:30:08 PM

Altasrecrd wrote:
> I was lucky enough to interview Brian Wilson for the Illinois
> Entertainer when his "Imagination" album came out, and I asked him
> this very question. He said it was two guitars, one of which was a
> Fender Mustang.

Would he remember - or did that phase come later ?

geoff
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 4:41:13 PM

In article <cdf5c97b.0407302320.69a9904a@posting.google.com>,
jflx@earthlink.net says...

>garthrr@aol.com (Garth) wrote in message
>> In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
>> <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:

>> I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is how
Brian
>> Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would consider to be)
>> improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani etc. He was getting
>> sounds that would, in later decades, be accessable mainly via synthesizers.
>>
>> Garth~
>

>Thank goodness that Moog synthesizers were so rare in that day. Brian
>Wilson was doing the accoustical version of that long before "Pet
>Sounds".
>
>He would so often 'ride' something on top of Carol Kaye's Fender bass
>track, e.g. The opening to the song "Dance, Dance, Dance" was actually
>an exception, where the plucked upright bass was incorporated, as
>distinct from the electric bass there.
>
>But otherwise, he would so often use horns, or bass saxes, or piano,
>or harpsichord, note-for-note, to augment the bass line.
>
>I used to think that the Beach Boys music had a bigger bass sound just
>because it was louder. I learned later that the double low saxes in
>"She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" or the horns also following
>the bass line in "Here Today" on 'Pet Sounds' was such a big part of
>that huge sound. (not to forget the harpsichord, changing the flavor
>of the bass, yet again, near the end of that song)
>
>I'm not even going to go into how some 20-23 year old who wrote only
>simple popular tunes, with no musical theory training whatsoever,
>could come up with 13'th chord harmony vocals and melodic, non-tonic
>related bass lines.
>
>It wobbles the mind.

He had a certain amount of theory training at his high school, IIRC. He was
also very into The Four Freshmen, and reportedly dissected their
vocal arrangements as part of his self-imposed musical education. Beach Boys'
harmonies were very influenced by Four Freshmen harmonies. Bringing chromatic,
jazz-influenced harmonies into the diatonic world of '60s rock 'n' roll was a
very radical thing at the time.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 11:03:26 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message
> Garth wrote:
> > In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
> > <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:

NO.

> > I doubt it

The Moog modular was the only option AFAIK.

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:28:19 AM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message news:<ZzSPc.1597$zS6.195120@news02.tsnz.net>...
> Garth wrote:
> > In article <41093D1E.879E2E65@comcast.net>, Don Cooper
> > <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:

> > I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is
> > how Brian Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would
> > consider to be) improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani
> > etc. He was getting sounds that would, in later decades, be
> > accessable mainly via synthesizers.
>

> But did he even know he was doing it ?
>
> geoff

are you joking, geoff? i can't tell if that's a joke based on his
later SMiLE era breakdown or if you're proposing that he
compositionally (or chemically) stumbled upon it. :)

just in case you weren't kidding around, everything i've read and
heard in both direct quotes by Brian Wilson and people around him at
the time paint the picture that everything he was doing on Pet Sounds
was very deliberate.

of course, the concept wasn't new. he was always sort of trying to
achieve his own take on the Phil Spector thing, but what he achieved
was certainly very much Brian Wilson.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:33:25 AM

Robert Orban <donotreply@spamblock.com> wrote in message news:<7cadnes4qqqS1ozcRVn-qQ@giganews.com>...
> In article <cdf5c97b.0407302320.69a9904a@posting.google.com>,
> jflx@earthlink.net says...
> >

> >garthrr@aol.com (Garth) wrote in message

> 66?
> >> >

> >> I doubt it. One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is how
> Brian
> >> Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would consider to be)
> >> improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani etc. He was getting
> >> sounds that would, in later decades, be accessable mainly via synthesizers.
> >>
> >> Garth~
> >

> >Thank goodness that Moog synthesizers were so rare in that day. Brian
> >Wilson was doing the accoustical version of that long before "Pet
> >Sounds".
> >
> >He would so often 'ride' something on top of Carol Kaye's Fender bass
> >track, e.g. The opening to the song "Dance, Dance, Dance" was actually
> >an exception, where the plucked upright bass was incorporated, as
> >distinct from the electric bass there.
> >
> >But otherwise, he would so often use horns, or bass saxes, or piano,
> >or harpsichord, note-for-note, to augment the bass line.
> >
> >I used to think that the Beach Boys music had a bigger bass sound just
> >because it was louder. I learned later that the double low saxes in
> >"She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" or the horns also following
> >the bass line in "Here Today" on 'Pet Sounds' was such a big part of
> >that huge sound. (not to forget the harpsichord, changing the flavor
> >of the bass, yet again, near the end of that song)
> >
> >I'm not even going to go into how some 20-23 year old who wrote only
> >simple popular tunes, with no musical theory training whatsoever,
> >could come up with 13'th chord harmony vocals and melodic, non-tonic
> >related bass lines.
> >
> >It wobbles the mind.
>
> He had a certain amount of theory training at his high school, IIRC. He was
> also very into The Four Freshmen, and reportedly dissected their
> vocal arrangements as part of his self-imposed musical education. Beach Boys'
> harmonies were very influenced by Four Freshmen harmonies. Bringing chromatic,
> jazz-influenced harmonies into the diatonic world of '60s rock 'n' roll was a
> very radical thing at the time.

his dad was also a songwriter (though not NEARLY as good a one as his
son, which led to some ugly jealousy and bad treatment/manipulation
that fed into/created many of Brian's psychological problems) so he
did grow up around music...
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:00:10 PM

Geoff Wood wrote:

> > One of the coolest things about the album "Pet Sounds" is
> > how Brian Wilson got those unique sounds by combining (what I would
> > consider to be) improbable instruments such as accordions and tympani
> > etc. He was getting sounds that would, in later decades, be
> > accessable mainly via synthesizers.
>
> But did he even know he was doing it ?

I think he had a vision of the final product early on in the process.
Again, the "Pet Sounds" Box Set offers a wonderful glimpse into how
these sessions were conducted.
August 5, 2004 8:05:37 PM

Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> writes:
>I think he had a vision of the final product early on in the process.
>Again, the "Pet Sounds" Box Set offers a wonderful glimpse into how
>these sessions were conducted.

Yeah. It's really something to hear this 20-something prodigy directing
the veteran LA session cats. He OBVIOUSLY knew what he was after.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:33:42 PM

georgeh wrote:

> Yeah. It's really something to hear this 20-something prodigy directing
> the veteran LA session cats. He OBVIOUSLY knew what he was after.

The conversations through the talkback system are hysterical. He's
directing guys who are probably twice his age.

"What did he say? Whadda ya want here, Brian?"
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:44:12 PM

Don Cooper wrote:

> I think he had a vision of the final product early on in the process.
> Again, the "Pet Sounds" Box Set offers a wonderful glimpse into how
> these sessions were conducted.

That doesn't seem to be available any more. Anybody want to
sell theirs?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:48:25 AM

>From: Bob Cain

>That doesn't seem to be available any more. Anybody want to
>sell theirs?

Perhaps better:

http://cheap-cds.com/surf/disps/243819

They have three, $57.91 incl. S&H. I've bought there once or twice, good
experience. --TP
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:48:26 AM

Tom Paterson wrote:

>>From: Bob Cain
>

>>That doesn't seem to be available any more. Anybody want to
>>sell theirs?
>

> Perhaps better:
>
> http://cheap-cds.com/surf/disps/243819
>
> They have three, $57.91 incl. S&H. I've bought there once or twice, good
> experience. --TP

Thanks Tom. I'd only Googled on "pet sounds boxed set" and
came up dry.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:59:19 AM

As somebody who essentially ignored the Beach Boys (the Beatles used up
most of my attention span for 60's pop), what would you suggest as the one
album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys the best, or is
simply the best one to listen to?
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:15:27 AM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:59:19 GMT, rdbarone@shaw.ca (Ralph & Diane
Barone) wrote:

>As somebody who essentially ignored the Beach Boys (the Beatles used up
>most of my attention span for 60's pop), what would you suggest as the one
>album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys the best, or is
>simply the best one to listen to?

There's maybe no such critter, but the one I still play often is
_Holland_. _Surf's Up_ too. But that's just geezerhood.

Chris Hornbeck
"That's the way Stravinsky was. Bup, Bup, Bup, Bup.
The poor guy's dead now. Play it legato." -Eugene Ormandy
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:15:28 AM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 04:15:27 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:59:19 GMT, rdbarone@shaw.ca (Ralph & Diane
>Barone) wrote:
>
>>As somebody who essentially ignored the Beach Boys (the Beatles used up
>>most of my attention span for 60's pop), what would you suggest as the one
>>album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys the best, or is
>>simply the best one to listen to?
>
>There's maybe no such critter, but the one I still play often is
>_Holland_. _Surf's Up_ too. But that's just geezerhood.

You can't go too wrong with some kind of greatest hits thing either.
Is "Holland" the live album? There was a live album they did in the
late 70s or early 80s that was just killer, even though Brian wasn't
on it.

Al
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 11:46:24 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:59:19 GMT, rdbarone@shaw.ca (Ralph & Diane
> Barone) wrote:
>
>>As somebody who essentially ignored the Beach Boys (the Beatles used up
>>most of my attention span for 60's pop), what would you suggest as the one
>>album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys the best, or is
>>simply the best one to listen to?
>
> There's maybe no such critter, but the one I still play often is
> _Holland_. _Surf's Up_ too. But that's just geezerhood.

Surf's Up is certainly a masterpiece, but it is in no way representative
of their "essence". If you want one Beach Boys album that is truly
representative of them, I'd probably pick "Summer Days (and Summer
Nights)", which was later combined into a twofer as "All Summer Long".

But there are a LOT of good compilations of the Beach Boys hits. I
picked one up a few years ago that I like a lot. It's called "Endless
Summer", and features most of their major hits from "Surfin' Safari"
through "Good Vibrations".

Better still may be a collection called "Sounds of Summer", which
features 30 of their best known songs from 1962 to 1988. (Curiously, as
comprehensive as this collection appears, it still misses "The Warmth Of
The Sun".)
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:44:09 PM

>what would you suggest as the one
>album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys...

For something that just stinks of Beach Boy, that live record
(recorded in Sacramento as I remember??) with al of them (including
Brian) decked out in matching pinstipe shirts and matching Fender
guitars and amps on the cover blasting out all the teen hits complete
with screaming is a pretty cool listen...
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:50:37 PM

Ralph & Diane Barone wrote:

> As somebody who essentially ignored the Beach Boys (the Beatles used up
> most of my attention span for 60's pop), what would you suggest as the one
> album that either nails the essence of the Beach Boys the best, or is
> simply the best one to listen to?

I have much of their stuff (and all the Beatles'). I'd say "Pet Sounds"
is the best example of Brian Wilson at his recording / arranging /
producing peak.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:51:43 PM

playon wrote:

> You can't go too wrong with some kind of greatest hits thing either.
> Is "Holland" the live album?

No. It was a studio album done on a boat in Holland. 8 /

> There was a live album they did in the
> late 70s or early 80s that was just killer, even though Brian wasn't
> on it.

That was "In Concert".
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:00:18 PM

>From: Bob Cain

>Thanks Tom.

My pleasure.

>I'd only Googled on "pet sounds boxed set" and came up dry.

Well, you could have dried you wallet out by around $175 with the first thing I
found. Later poster found it for $38 at Amoeba in LA. That's why we like those
friendly local music stores... (Waterloo here in Austin Tx). "Happy hunting".
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:49:59 AM

Tom Paterson wrote:

>>From: Bob Cain
>

>>Thanks Tom.
>

> My pleasure.
>

>>I'd only Googled on "pet sounds boxed set" and came up dry.
>

> Well, you could have dried you wallet out by around $175 with the first thing I
> found. Later poster found it for $38 at Amoeba in LA. That's why we like those
> friendly local music stores... (Waterloo here in Austin Tx). "Happy hunting".

Ordered it and really looking forward. I wasn't much into
music in this kind of depth back then so it will pretty much
be a new experience to me. As much as I've heard recently
about the brilliance of that album I've been wanting to give
it a listen and when I heard about the boxed set, decided to
go all the way. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein