W2KProf. Setup install Prob.

G

CPU: Pentium 4, 1.8Ghz
Primary Master 40 GBs
Primary Slave 60 GBs
256MBs DDR memory
MSI M/board 645 Ultra Socket 478

Today I tried to setup W2K Professional on my new computer. I have 4 W2K boot disks and partitioned both disks and formated the first partition ok. (Also I noticed that when I set my partition space in setup I'm always left with 8MBs over). But when setup auto-restarted it would not restart into the setup GUI. Keeps on saying "boot failure". insert boot diskette.....

At the end of the setup the installion files are copied into a installation folder but as I said before, restart into the Setup GUI-mode fails. I have a feeling that the restart is not finding the boot strap. I have partitioned the primary masterdisk into 2 parts C & D, (with 8Mbs left over) The Primary slave is partitioned into 1 partition. D & slave are yet unformatted.
The other thing is that when I first start the computer with the first W2K boot floppy in the drive after some seconds a message appears on the screen "Disk I/O error: Status = 00008020"after which setup goes into its' "Text-mode".
Any ideas what's happening?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Have you tried setting up off a CD instead of disks?

"Keeps on saying "boot failure". insert boot diskette....."

And are you leaving the wrong disk in the floppy? I think only disk 1 is bootable...

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Demosthenes

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Did you make the primary partition active?

Demo

<font color=purple>"The one-eyed woman in the Land of the Blind hates Braille."</font color=purple>

G

The boot failure occurs after the Text-mode setup ie after I have partitioned and formatted etc.
I have found the problem though. It was caused by a bad HDD.
I changed the HDD and I don't have a problem. Odd though. I put the same HDD in another system and it work fine.
Place it back in my system and reformat and the same problem.

Thanks

G

W2K does not give me this option. Only shows existing partitions and give the options to either create, delete or install on listed partitions.
I imagine your question only is valid when using either Fdisk or other partitioning software.

Thanks

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Might have to load your ata controller drivers at the beginning of setup.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

G

Surely the ATA Controllers are an ingeral part of the M/board? The board supports DMA ATA 33,66 & 100.
To answer your early question I didn't have a bootable W2K installation CD so I had to boot off the 4 floppies to run the Setup. I am certain that the Disk Error message was refering to the HDD. As soon as I changed the drive all was well. Also as I mentioned, if I put another drive in the system it was fine. That makes me think it wasn't the Board????
Bizarre but the problem is sorted. Still I don't know why this combination of HDD and board would not work.
Thanks

G

You may have noticed from previous posting that I have discovered that the problem was a dodgy HDD. Since then I have successfully loaded W2K on the new disk.
What I'm trying to do now (an exercise) is to load W2k via dos.
I have booted off a Win98 boot floppy, selected optioon 1 (load with CD enabled).
After navigating throuho the W2K install CD to the Winnt.exe I launch the this file and I get awindow saying that "Setup did not detect Smartdrive on your computer".
I then selected to continue anyway but a further window appeared saying that W2K couldn't find an uncopmpressed disk with a minimum of 252MBs.
I had no further option other than exit.

Keep in mind that the HDD i want to install to already has W2K install on an HDD with 2 partitions. C which is formatted to 20 Gbs and D which is unformatted.
I s this relevent.
Maybe the above error indicated that I am trying to install ion the CD itself??
The error message came up really quickly!
What am I doing wrong and how do I get winnt.exe to run setup and see my existing C drive?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
odd, heres what I would do, either:

1. install on another drive and ghost over - shouldnt have to though

2. try booting form the 98 floppy, copy the u386 folder from the cd to c:, then run winnt from there- you really should install smartdrv, if not your windows install will take AGES, just copy smartdrc from a 98 system onto the floppy and run it from there when you boot.
does the hdd have some sort of overlay on it? I seen some in the past that do and they cuase probs sometimes.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?