Sign in with
Your question

Uninstall McAfee

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2010 6:41:50 PM

Just purchased a Dell Studio Laptop and although I did not want any virus protection, I was told that was not possible. Since my DSL service provider offers a free service, that I am happy with on my other computer, I see no reason to pay for it. Can someone please tell me the best way to COMPLETELY uninstall McAfee? I have not yet activated it. McAffe seems to want you to do this first as they claim you could loose you suscription on reinstall, but since I do not plan on doing so any way should I in fact do so? Will just using the Windows 7 add/remove programs be sufficent to remove it or do I have to then download their uninstall "tool" as they recommend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Ron K.

More about : uninstall mcafee

a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 7:11:33 PM

You will need their uninstall tool to remove it entirely, unfortunatly trying to remove it without it, is virtually impossible as remnents get left and error messages keep showing up.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 9, 2010 4:03:11 PM

Jonmor68 said:
You will need their uninstall tool to remove it entirely, unfortunatly trying to remove it without it, is virtually impossible as remnents get left and error messages keep showing up.

Thanks. Should I activate it first, I'd rather not, before doing the above?
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:08:05 PM

Jonmor68 said:

Also will their removal tool do the job or should I first remove it with add/remove program and then use the tool. Would it be best to save the "tool" or just run it?
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2010 4:21:02 PM

Just run the tool and it will uninstall it.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
February 9, 2010 6:21:41 PM

never ever run any mcafee software,it never ever comes completely uninstalled.only way to get rid it is do a clean install!
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 12:18:14 AM

McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe) is the tool developed by Mc Afee & you have to download & double click the tool & follow the instructions, it will do the rest!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 5:09:49 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
never ever run any mcafee software,it never ever comes completely uninstalled.only way to get rid it is do a clean install!

Not true. A normal uninstall will leave things behind, but if you use the Mcafee removal tool (which is from McAfee), it should catch just about everything.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 7:10:39 PM

fragments from spamkiller are usually left behind!
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 7:52:24 PM

Revouninstaller should remove any trace files/paths left.
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:14:30 AM

Thanks alot :hello: 
m
l
!