Replacement grille for Shure SM-58?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 29, 2004 11:39:59 PM

Okay, this question is probably 'way more trouble than it's worth, but I
have a question regarding the microphone that everybody loves to hate.

Will it make any difference to an SM58 if I use the Shure-brand replacement
grill or an inexpensive knockoff? (By difference, I mean things like sound,
longevity of the grill, that sort of thing; I'm sure that the feelings of
the poor microphone will be hurt no end by using a non-Shure part...)

I ask because, as I was cleaning some of my mics, I noticed that a couple of
grilles were rusted and grotty looking in spots. Being, let's say
*particular*, I'd like to make them at least look nice. The Shure
replacement grill is about three times the price of the cheapie; is there a
reason to go with Shure? (I did discover that the wire used in the Shure
grill is 0.032", while that on the one non-shure that I have is 0.036" :-)

Cheers.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
July 30, 2004 5:07:40 AM

"David O'H" <.> wrote:

> Okay, this question is probably 'way more trouble than it's worth, but I
> have a question regarding the microphone that everybody loves to hate.
>
> Will it make any difference to an SM58 if I use the Shure-brand
> replacement
> grill or an inexpensive knockoff? (By difference, I mean things like
> sound, longevity of the grill, that sort of thing; I'm sure that the
> feelings of the poor microphone will be hurt no end by using a non-Shure
> part...)
>
> I ask because, as I was cleaning some of my mics, I noticed that a couple
> of
> grilles were rusted and grotty looking in spots. Being, let's say
> *particular*, I'd like to make them at least look nice. The Shure
> replacement grill is about three times the price of the cheapie; is there
> reason to go with Shure? (I did discover that the wire used in the Shure
> grill is 0.032", while that on the one non-shure that I have is 0.036" :-)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Dave O'Heare
> oheareATmagmaDOTca

I don't think the difference in wire diameter will make a noticable
difference in sound. There's not that much consistency from one mic to
another with 58s anyway. The thickness & density of the foam inside might
make more difference.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapie rusted much sooner.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:25:36 AM

In article <xvidnR34EIZvFZTcRVn-qQ@magma.ca> "David O'H" <.> writes:

> I was cleaning some of my mics, I noticed that a couple of
> grilles were rusted and grotty looking in spots. Being, let's say
> *particular*, I'd like to make them at least look nice. The Shure
> replacement grill is about three times the price of the cheapie; is there a
> reason to go with Shure?

If the cheap one fits, try it. If it still sounds like an SM58 then
you'll know that it's OK to use it. If it doesn't, then you'll know
why you should use the genuine part.

Honestly, I don't think it will matter, but you never can tell until
you try.

July 30, 2004 12:17:09 PM

Just make sure the replacement also includes the foam insert like the
one in the old windscreen. The two (metal and foam, but mostly the
foam) work together for 'pop' reduction. The foam insert on the old one
may still be intact and can be transferred to the new one if necessary.

I have a bunch of SM58's, wired and wireless, at our church. Some are
almost 20 years old, with dented windscreens (from being dropped of
course) but the mics are still working. They are certainly the most
rugged $100 mic I've ever seen. So I guess I'm one of those who love to
love them.

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <xvidnR34EIZvFZTcRVn-qQ@magma.ca> "David O'H" <.> writes:
>

>>I was cleaning some of my mics, I noticed that a couple of
>>grilles were rusted and grotty looking in spots. Being, let's say
>>*particular*, I'd like to make them at least look nice. The Shure
>>replacement grill is about three times the price of the cheapie; is there a
>>reason to go with Shure?
>

> If the cheap one fits, try it. If it still sounds like an SM58 then
> you'll know that it's OK to use it. If it doesn't, then you'll know
> why you should use the genuine part.
>
> Honestly, I don't think it will matter, but you never can tell until
> you try.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:35:49 PM

"agent86" <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote in message

> I don't think the difference in wire diameter will make a noticable
> difference in sound. There's not that much consistency from one mic to
> another with 58s anyway. The thickness & density of the foam inside might
> make more difference.
>
> But I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapie rusted much sooner.

Thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for: are there any OTHER
reasons to choose the Shure over the clones.

Cheers

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:32:54 PM

In article <9%qOc.106$W8.1931@news.itd.umich.edu>,
Greg Taylor <gtaylor@umd.umich.edu> wrote:
> Just make sure the replacement also includes the foam insert like the
> one in the old windscreen. The two (metal and foam, but mostly the
> foam) work together for 'pop' reduction. The foam insert on the old one
> may still be intact and can be transferred to the new one if necessary.

Yikes! Do you reuse napkins too? Toilet paper?

That foam is usually pretty dirty and crusty in the 58 at the places I
work at. Even if you clean it, it's probably halfway destroyed from age.

> I have a bunch of SM58's, wired and wireless, at our church. Some are
> almost 20 years old, with dented windscreens (from being dropped of
> course) but the mics are still working. They are certainly the most
> rugged $100 mic I've ever seen. So I guess I'm one of those who love to
> love them.

Aaah.. church. I bet it's the lack of beer and sweat near the 58s
that's allowing them to have such a long life. A club life is a lot
tougher on vocal mikes.

To the original poster, the third party replacement grilles seem to work
just fine. Remember, the 58 isn't such a precision instrument to start
with. A few millimeters of missing / extra grille diameter won't ruin
your day. A clean grille though will certainly make someone else's day
a lot better.

Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:32:55 PM

Monte McGuire wrote:
> In article <9%qOc.106$W8.1931@news.itd.umich.edu>,
> Greg Taylor <gtaylor@umd.umich.edu> wrote:
>
>>Just make sure the replacement also includes the foam insert like the
>>one in the old windscreen. The two (metal and foam, but mostly the
>>foam) work together for 'pop' reduction. The foam insert on the old one
>>may still be intact and can be transferred to the new one if necessary.
>

> Yikes! Do you reuse napkins too? Toilet paper?
>
> That foam is usually pretty dirty and crusty in the 58 at the places I
> work at. Even if you clean it, it's probably halfway destroyed from age.

Please notice I did qualify my post with the phrase, "...may still be
intact".

Obviously if the foam is deteriorated, and I agree that is often the
case, it should be replaced. My point, which I guess was missed, is
that it is the foam insert which plays the greater role in pop filtering
for the mic and should be either reused or replaced, whichever is
appropriate.

I, for one, usually don't remove the foam inserts to wipe my mouth or butt.

> Aaah.. church. I bet it's the lack of beer and sweat near the 58s
> that's allowing them to have such a long life. A club life is a lot
> tougher on vocal mikes.

Beer doesn't hurt SM58's unless you're dunking the mics in the glass.
It just makes them smell awful. Effects from sweat depend on how the
mic is held. Club life is tougher because of the atmosphere (heat,
humidity, tobacco smoke) and physical treatment (depending on the venue,
performer, and sound technician). The worst treatment our mics get at
church is the occasional dropping by maybe a youngster and the blowing
in the mic to test it by naive performers. The grills show it but the
mics keep going.
August 23, 2004 3:14:49 AM

On 18 Aug 2004, Greg Taylor <gtaylor@umd.umich.edu> wrote in
news:D WLUc.137$Nv1.2562@news.itd.umich.edu:

> Obviously if the foam is deteriorated, and I agree that is often
> the case, it should be replaced.

Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?

I have a 58 that was sounding worse and worse over the years. Finally I
took the screen off and found that the foam inside had disintegrated
into a gummy, putty-like mass and wasn't letting sound pass through. I
scraped it out and the mic sounded like new. Since then I've just
popped a cheap foam windscreen over the metal ball.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:14:50 AM

Nil <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>On 18 Aug 2004, Greg Taylor <gtaylor@umd.umich.edu> wrote in
>news:D WLUc.137$Nv1.2562@news.itd.umich.edu:
>
>> Obviously if the foam is deteriorated, and I agree that is often
>> the case, it should be replaced.
>
>Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?

Sometimes. Shure will often just send them to you for free if you ask
nicely, though. Sometimes they'll charge you for them.

>I have a 58 that was sounding worse and worse over the years. Finally I
>took the screen off and found that the foam inside had disintegrated
>into a gummy, putty-like mass and wasn't letting sound pass through. I
>scraped it out and the mic sounded like new. Since then I've just
>popped a cheap foam windscreen over the metal ball.

If you use a 58 without any foam in it at all, the top end sounds a lot
better than a straight 58, but it pops much more easily. It does, in fact,
pretty much make it like an SM-57.

August 25, 2004 7:13:49 PM

On 22 Aug 2004, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in

>>Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?
>
> Sometimes. Shure will often just send them to you for free if you
> ask nicely, though. Sometimes they'll charge you for them.

That's good to know. I'll send them a note and see what they say.
Thanks for the tip.
!