Yamaha aw16 vs tascam 2488 vs boss br1600cd

Last response: in Home Audio
July 30, 2004 1:26:31 PM

Hi,
I'm a first time poster and am hoping you guys can help me out in
starting my new home recording studio.

I've decided to stay away from computer based recording and would like
a dedicated multi track console. The three mentioned above are my main
choices.

My needs are simple, I would like to record my instrumental guitar
compositions and then record bass and use either a drum machine or the
internal drums (br1600) for my percussion.

I'm not making a demo or trying to market my cds. Just to have fun and
bring my ideas to fruition.

What do y'all think?
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:00:53 PM

In article <5482982d.0407300826.62704716@posting.google.com> mark@clairebell.com writes:

> I'm not making a demo or trying to market my cds. Just to have fun and
> bring my ideas to fruition.

Have you looked at what Korg has in that category these days? I've
always found their user interfaces to be more human than most. If you
want to have fun, you want to record, not page through menus. If the
Yamaha in question is the one I played with a while back, I thought it
was particularly user-hostile. Haven't had a close look at the latest
from TASCAM or Roland.

But, yeah, I'd be concerned first with how they operate than how the
sound or how many tricks they have built in. And of course you know
how to work that out - get your hands and eyes over to a music store
and play with them. Yes, do it, even if it means getting out of your
chair and driving somewhere, maybe even 50 miles round trip, or even
making a day trip of it. You'll learn more in a look-around than
you'll learn by reading 100 messages here.

July 30, 2004 9:16:58 PM

mark@clairebell.com (Mark Gottlieb) wrote in message news:<5482982d.0407300826.62704716@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I'm a first time poster and am hoping you guys can help me out in
> starting my new home recording studio.
>
> I've decided to stay away from computer based recording and would like
> a dedicated multi track console. The three mentioned above are my main
> choices.
>
> My needs are simple, I would like to record my instrumental guitar
> compositions and then record bass and use either a drum machine or the
> internal drums (br1600) for my percussion.
>
> I'm not making a demo or trying to market my cds. Just to have fun and
> bring my ideas to fruition.
>
> What do y'all think?

I've done tons of research on theses models and in my opinion the
Tascam 2488 is the best one for the money. The features on the Tascam
far out weight the "drum machine" on the BR1600. IF you need a drum
machine go buy a cheap one but don't let that feature make your choice
on the recorder. If you get one of the other models you will probably
outgrow them in a year. I've been recording for over ten years and I
picked the 2488 for my home setup.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:03:05 AM

> In article <5482982d.0407300826.62704716@posting.google.com>
mark@clairebell.com writes:

> > I'm not making a demo or trying to market my cds. Just to have fun and
> > bring my ideas to fruition.
>
> Have you looked at what Korg has in that category these days? I've
> always found their user interfaces to be more human than most. If you
> want to have fun, you want to record, not page through menus. If the
> Yamaha in question is the one I played with a while back, I thought it
> was particularly user-hostile. Haven't had a close look at the latest
> from TASCAM or Roland.

Mike, I agree the 2816 and 4416 were a little difficult IMO. But I've owned
the AW16G since it came out, and it was remarkably easy to use. It is not
laid out as a standard analog mixer -- routing is direct input to track
channel, so might be different for some. But for recording for fun it is a
breeze -- push the button on the input the mic or instrument is plugged
into, then push the button for the track you want to record to. Push
record.

It does use layered menus, but they work by pressing the same button a few
times. And global controls are available for one track/input at a time. It
also has a "soundclip" feature that lets you just plug in and hit record,
goes to a 3-minute capacity file that you can then copy to tracks if you
want. Pretty nice for sudden inspirations.

The sound is fairly good for what it is, 16-bit uncompressed, with very good
reverb/delay effects and "functional" compression. 4-band full parametric
eq. All effects/dynamics/eq are available on every input and track. Fairly
nice (small) LCD display. Metering is easy to work with. Can record 8
tracks simultaneously at full resolution. Editing is usable and pretty fast
after you get the hang of it.

I used it just for a similar purpose, Mark, to make some quick recordings
and get a feel for how we might use these types of machines. The AW16g
works very well for this. It feels solid and has been reliable.

I checked out the Boss DAWs several times when I was hunting -- plastic,
felt like a toy, lots of bells and whistles. Compressed storage like all
the Roland/Boss machines AFAIK. Not for me. The Yamaha sounded much better
IMO. I don't know the new Tascam. The new Korgs have a touchscreen that's
supposed to be pretty nice. I think they're fairly expensive though?

All that said, I've had an Akai DPS24 here the last few days to try out.
Now _there_ is a professional machine. The sound quality (24-bit) is much,
much better than the Yamaha, and of course not even on the same planet as
the Boss. We recorded using Soundelux U195 and ADK A-48, to Focusrite ISA
428, then out simultaneously to separate outputs to the DPS24 and the AW16.
A whole new dimension opened up with the DPS24, it's not even close.

The Akai is more expensive, but much more powerful (read complicated,
sometimes :)  than the 16g. Probably not the best choice for you Mark, but
something to consider if you grow to like these systems. Since Mike R has
mentioned the Akai in the past I thought I'd throw in my experiences with
it. I'm not sure I'm keeping the DPS24, since I'm considering a smaller
analog system. If I do stay with a DAW, this will definitely be the one.

Regards,

Steve
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 12:58:51 PM

klobbers_vorhies@yahoo.com (klobbers) wrote in message news:<6f3ec094.0407301616.7cde782d@posting.google.com>...
> mark@clairebell.com (Mark Gottlieb) wrote in message news:<5482982d.0407300826.62704716@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I'm a first time poster and am hoping you guys can help me out in
> > starting my new home recording studio.
> >
> > I've decided to stay away from computer based recording and would like
> > a dedicated multi track console. The three mentioned above are my main
> > choices.
> >
> > My needs are simple, I would like to record my instrumental guitar
> > compositions and then record bass and use either a drum machine or the
> > internal drums (br1600) for my percussion.
> >
> > I'm not making a demo or trying to market my cds. Just to have fun and
> > bring my ideas to fruition.
> >
> > What do y'all think?
>

> I've done tons of research on theses models and in my opinion the
> Tascam 2488 is the best one for the money. The features on the Tascam
> far out weight the "drum machine" on the BR1600. IF you need a drum
> machine go buy a cheap one but don't let that feature make your choice
> on the recorder. If you get one of the other models you will probably
> outgrow them in a year. I've been recording for over ten years and I
> picked the 2488 for my home setup.

Thats very good advice from all, thanks guys.

The 2488 does seem like a very good buy and I'd have money left over
to buy a decent drum machine and a sans amp for the electric!

How does the sound quality compare between the Tascamm and Boss. I
believe the Boss is uncompressed w/16 or 24 bit a/ds I might be
mistaken though.
!