Sign in with
Your question

Regarding USB Wireless Adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 3, 2012 3:33:55 PM

Hello,
I'm looking for a 802.11n USB wireless adapter and there is something I don't understand...First let me mention that all I want is to transfer files in my network as fast as possible, regarding my internet connection, its 30M so all N adapter will be enough so basically files transfer is all I want.
Now, what I don't understand is, if a 300mbps adapter can only operate at around 70mbps won't a 150mbps card will do the same? I mean all 300mbps adapters can't really operate at that speed so I thought I will not see any different between the two.
Can someone please tell me what will be the differences between a 150mbps and a 300mbps usb adapters in terms of file transfer?
Thanks a lot guys! I couldn't find any comparison online...
Thanks again, Rotem.

More about : usb wireless adapter

July 3, 2012 5:44:41 PM

300mbps uses channel bonding to transfer files much faster but both computers as well as the wifi router must support the 300mbps to be able to take advantage of the faster speed.
July 3, 2012 6:56:27 PM

"but both computers as well as the wifi router must support the 300mbps to be able to take advantage of the faster speed"
That goes without saying :) 
Let me rephrase that, Lets say I have 3 PC's in my network and a 300mbps router. Now, the main PC has a 300mbps usb adapter, the second one also has a 300mbps adapter and the last one has 150mbps.
Now lets say I want to transfer 100GB from the main PC to the other two (not at the same time), what do you think will be the speed difference between the two?
Thanks !
!