And what version should I use ?

constepatdyak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

He doesnt need 64bit...he only has 3g ram so 32bit is fine

JollyJay

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
32bit Windows 7 home premium would be your best choice.

Unless you are planning on connection to a domain at some point, then Professional (or Ultimate) would be the right answer.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Please stop spreading misinformation. 64-bit apps (if you can get them) can have speed benefits (think image/video processing, encryption). Even 20% depending on application.

Just because 4GB=2^32, it does not mean the CPU does not allow any access above. 32-bit Server versions of Windows allow using up to 64GB RAM (36-bits), with any CPU starting with Pentium Pro (1995 I believe). Because of fear of cheap drivers (PCI devices are still limited to 32-bits, so special handling is needed for 4+GB DMA operations), MS chose to artificially limit the desktop versions to 4GB. Using the DEP/NX-bit already has the CPU in the mode that allows 64GB RAM.

In short: if you use 32-bit apps, there will be no speed difference, but if you can get 64-bit apps, then 64-bit platform will be faster. Also, no matter what OS you are using, 32-bit individual apps will still be limited to 2/3GB (so using 32-bit apps in 64-bit windows on more than 4GB is beneficial when many RAM hungry apps are running simultaneously...i.e.: not for gaming).

So my comment is related to reccomendations of 32-bit only. The Home Premium/Pro/Ultimate comments are ok by me.
PS: the OP never mentioned the intended use, so I cannot deny the 64-bit platform (which currently is useless for gaming).

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007

I agree with you. Constedpatdyak seems to be a douche. Everytime I try to give a recommendation to another person, he's always like "Don't do that or why would you do that, or he doesn't need that", blah, blah, blah. I'm not going to say anything to him. I don't feel like getting into an argument with a douche and getting banned. So I will just keep trying to give good advice. He's pretty annoying. I'm just going to ignore him.

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
If you already own a 32-bit version of Windows and only have 3GB of ram... use that version you already own. If you are buying Windows.... buy the 64-bit version. I cant think of any reason to buy the 32-bit version these days... maybe if you have some 32-bit app that will not run properly in 64-bit windows because of some bug somewhere.. i dont know...

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Agreed, it would be asinine not to go with 64bit. Just no reason not too. Is he going to stay with 3Gb forever? I think not.

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I was thinking the same thing as Bruce, if this guy is looking to upgrade his OS surely one day he may bump up his RAM to +4gigs... no reason not to get the 64 version. premium or professional. I got premium but kinda am kicking myself for not spending the extra couple bucks for pro as now I want a raid array haha... make your descesion between premium and pro, not 32 and 64.

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Agreed. 32-bit Windows shouldn't even be considered for purchase. The issue is between PRO or Premium.

I like PRO over premium because of the ability to host an RDP (remote desktop session). Ultimate is a waste of money IMO. Take a look at the following page and if you see things you might/will use in PRO that aren't in Premium buy PRO otherwise buy Premium.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7-whats-the-difference-between-the-editions

Also take a look at the following table for Windows 8 editions: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Notice Windows 8 (non Pro) can only upgrade from Windows 7 (non-pro, non ultimate). So that could influence your decision as well though not likely.

You could always buy Windows 7 Home Premium now and Windows 8 Pro Upgrade in the future and you would end up in the same spot except would have saved some money.

home premium also has remote desktop

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012

Sorry I believe this statement is incorrect. Home premium has remote desktop (client) but it cannot host an RDP session. Only Pro and Ultimate have that feature.