Sign in with
Your question

WiFi Access for Large Building

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 3, 2012 5:40:43 PM

Hey guys,

Quick question about something I'm about to take on: I need to implement WiFi access for a large, single-story building.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this / favorite access points I should look into buying.

It's going to be one SSID, that I need to broadcast from all access points so that the connection seamlessly rolls over as people move throughout the building.

So my main question is: Will I be able to simply set up however many APs I need for complete coverage to all broadcast the same SSID/password to allow the seamless full-coverage WiFi that I need?

I've seen this kind of setup before, but this is my first time actually setting it up, and I wanted to get any advice the community would offer.

Thanks!
July 3, 2012 6:25:05 PM

I have not found a setup that provides seemless wireless roming between AP you will always run the risk of disconnection once the signal gets to weak and the authentication to the next stronger AP
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:56:37 PM

Emerald said:
I have not found a setup that provides seemless wireless roming between AP you will always run the risk of disconnection once the signal gets to weak and the authentication to the next stronger AP

While I know there's always a risk of something not working right, I also know it's possible, and would just like to confirm the the way I think it's done is the proper way. My office is set up this way. We have a long hallway with multiple APs, and I can watch the signal strength fade and grow again as I walk away from one AP and the connection is handed off the next.
m
l
Related resources
!